Name this new 3-way

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Name this new 3-way
« Reply #60 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:49 am »
Jim is probably in panic packing mode for Axpona, so I'll just offer a few comments.  I've only compared the 3-way with my dome Song Towers.   First off, almost no competently designed 2-way will sound like a competently designed 3-way (let's assume competence just for the heck of it).  The dedicated midrange in a 3-way will almost always be smaller than the woofers in a 2 way, and will have superior dispersion.  Plus, the woofers don't have to handle as much of the frequency spectrum, and that probably affect the midrange production favorably.   As a result, the new 3-way has a fuller sound in the midrange than the ST's, and it throws a wider sound stage.  The highs are probably very similar to the ribbon ST.  As you mentioned, the bass extension is also deeper in the 3-way.  That would normally mean significantly less sensitivity, since the ST's have two woofers working in parallel vs. only one woofer in the 3-way.  However, the Satori woofer is larger (7.5" vs 5.5"), and the difference in sensitivity between the two speakers is pretty trivial.  I might have more to say after I spend some dedicated listening time at Chicago and can compare the 3-ways with other offerings from competitors.   

jsalk

« Reply #61 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:45 am »
I'd be interested in comments from Jim and Dennis as to how this design differs in sound to say a ribbon tweeter Songtower.  Obviously the bass plays lower, but how does it compare in the midrange?  With a ported rear, how far from a rear wall is best for these?  Guessing a few feet?

Just arrived at AXPONA and I think Dennis' comments above are a good representation of the differences.

As to the fact that these are rear ported, you would probably want a minimum of 18- 24" of breathing room to the rear.  That said, we can also build versions of these with front slot ports for those who may not have the luxury of enough space.

- Jim

Kinger

« Reply #62 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:48 pm »
Thanks Dennis and Jim for your comments!  Front slots instead of a rear port huh?  Would that impact the sound significantly Jim?

I look forward to seeing what showgoers have to say regarding this new model.  I must admit, I don't think I've ever seen a bamboo speaker cone before.

robcentola

« Reply #63 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:43 pm »
Having a hard time thinking of a name but these things look like a serious winner and should be a great success at that price.  :weights:

jsalk

« Reply #64 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:38 am »
Just finished setting up the 3-ways in a small room with Jeff Wells' new Majestic integrated amp.  Based on what I heard,, I can only say we'll be building a lot of these speakers in the next couple of years.  The sound with that combination is incredible.

- Jim

dtredwood

« Reply #65 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:21 pm »
Regarding the name, especially after hearing Jim's impressions, I thought of: SongTower Sweet Breeze. With the beautiful spring weather coming into SE MI, seems to be fitting.

Ben

Amulek

« Reply #66 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:09 pm »
If these will be part of the Song line, then I would name them the SongLyrics.

However, if you want to avoid having unique names, then just add an identifier to the end to distinguish it from the original SongTower. Call this one the SongTower TM (Triple Metre). Or maybe the SongTower Forte.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #67 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:22 pm »
Salk SongSatori    Naaa    not enough s's. 

billmcc

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2016, 03:28 pm »
Will there be a center speaker to match up with the new 3-way? If so will it be tough to design and will it need to be a large speaker?

Bill

rockadanny

« Reply #69 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:11 pm »
Salk SongSatori    Naaa    not enough s's.

Salk's SongsSatori's Serieses ...  better?  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #70 on: 15 Apr 2016, 05:26 pm »
Just listened to them. The speakers sound like they got a lot of potential. The sound in the room has some issues but the speakers aside from needing minor toe-in where blended very well for having three drivers as they do.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #71 on: 15 Apr 2016, 05:33 pm »
Just listened to them. The speakers sound like they got a lot of potential. The sound in the room has some issues but the speakers aside from needing minor toe-in where blended very well for having three drivers as they do.

Did you listen with and without toe-in, or did they just happen to have them toed in?  They really shouldn't need any given the broad horizontal dispersion.

Tom Alverson

« Reply #72 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:06 am »
Funny things is, I needed to have a working name for the show.  Song3 is what I used (on a temporary basis).

- Jim

I think the ship has already sailed.  People are already calling them the "Salk 3K" speakers (price)....

Folsom

« Reply #73 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:41 am »
Did you listen with and without toe-in, or did they just happen to have them toed in?  They really shouldn't need any given the broad horizontal dispersion.

The room is a little bit small, narrow, a little toe in I think would ease some of the side reflections that seem to be hurting the focus on imaging. The speakers sound very capable, but side reflections, or something else, needs tweaked right now.

Last I was there they were perpendicular.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #74 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:52 am »
The room is a little bit small, narrow, a little toe in I think would ease some of the side reflections that seem to be hurting the focus on imaging. The speakers sound very capable, but side reflections, or something else, needs tweaked right now.

Last I was there they were perpendicular.

Thanks   I'll check it out tomorrow morning. 

mdfoy

« Reply #75 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:11 am »
Salk Ceruse

Grbluen

« Reply #76 on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:38 am »
I think Song 3 sounds pretty nice.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 23 Jul 2016, 05:59 pm »
Maybe it's that nice dark finish, but I like the name "Nightsong". Or Salk "Nocturnals", cause you'll be up all night listening to those Deep tracks!!!

lowtech

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm »
YABS - Yet Another Box Speaker.

The wood sure looks nice though.

Grbluen

« Reply #79 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm »
Maybe it's that nice dark finish, but I like the name "Nightsong". Or Salk "Nocturnals", cause you'll be up all night listening to those Deep tracks!!!
I'm banking on it!!!