New Salk StreamPlayer web site

jsalk

New Salk StreamPlayer web site
« on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:46 pm »
For the past few years, we have been building the StreamPlayer music server we use here at the shop and at audio shows for customers who request them.  About a year ago, we began development of our Generation II StreamPlayer.  We did not announce it as a product and did not update our Salk Stream web site with the new version.  We wanted to get units out in the field for testing, just to make sure all was well with this new version.

We have been shipping the Generation II StreamPlayer for about 8 months now and just completed Rev 2 of the operating system.  What is really nice about this unit is that we have received almost no support calls.  As one owner said, "WOW, it JUST WORKS."

Yesterday we finished work on a new Salk Stream web site featuring the Generation II StreamPlayer.  We thought you might want to take a look.  Here is a link...

http://www.salkstream.com/

Happy viewing!

- Jim

srb

Re: New Salk StreamPlayer web site
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:18 pm »
Jim,

In your PDF, you list

Memory:  Typically 8MB
Drive:  2GB drive; Solid state drive optional

Do you not mean 8GB and 2TB ?

Steve

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:04 pm »
Having spent the better part of 72 hours using one of these players linked to one of our LampizatOr 7s, I can wholeheartedly endorse it.   Sick value for the funds and a fantastic option for people who want music, not computer fuss.   :thumb:

robcentola

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:14 pm »
Slick site and the the product looks like it's on par with other Salk creations.

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:14 pm »
Jim,
Is there an easy way to stream Tidal with the new V2 player?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:27 pm »
Jim,
Is there an easy way to stream Tidal with the new V2 player?

Yes.  You will use some sort of device (probably an iPad) to control the StreamPlayer.  You can stream Tidal directly from your iPad or iPhone to the StreamPlayer using Airplay.  There are also Airplay apps for Android devices as well if Tidal is available on them. (I don't have an Android device here today, so I can't check.)

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:33 pm »
Jim,

In your PDF, you list

Memory:  Typically 8MB
Drive:  2GB drive; Solid state drive optional

Do you not mean 8GB and 2TB ?

Steve

Steve -

You read my mind.  That is exactly what I meant (just didn't say it quite right).  I got it corrected.

Thanks for pointing that out. (You are a good proof-reader!)

- Jim

maxboy00

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:09 am »
Been looking at streamers for a while, can music files be copied to the 2TB internal HD and if so, how? At present, I been ripping Cd's to an external HD. Or is this streamer better suited for use with a NAS system?

Also does it matter what (version of) Apple Ipad is used to connect and operate this streamer?

Really like the minimalist look of this streamer!

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm »
Been looking at streamers for a while, can music files be copied to the 2TB internal HD and if so, how? At present, I been ripping Cd's to an external HD. Or is this streamer better suited for use with a NAS system?

Also does it matter what (version of) Apple Ipad is used to connect and operate this streamer?

Really like the minimalist look of this streamer!

maxboy -

The StreamPlayer shows up as a shared network drive on any computer connected to your network.  So moving files to it is as simple as transferring files from one directory to another on your computer.

While the StreamPlayer can connect to a NAS, it is much easier to use and maintain the system if the music files are stored on the internal 2TB drive.  You can always back up to a NAS or USB backup drive as you see fit.

It does not matter what type of iPad you have.  There are apps that run on any iPad, any iPhone, any Android phone or tablet and any computer on your network.  You can even use multiple apps at the same time.  The StreamPlayer will receive commands from any of these apps and will relay its operational results back to all currently running apps.  There is also a web player included with the StreamPlayer.

You can also use Apple Airplay (or similar apps running on an Android device) to stream ANY content to the StreamPlayer (Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, podcasts, etc).

- Jim

Buckeye2604

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:08 pm »
Are there any pictures of the rear of the unit?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:26 pm »
Can I attach a 4 TB HD full of music to the Player and have it act like a NAS then on my network?

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
I had a similar question to the above.  I have about 5TB of music files (and growing).  So 2TB is not tons of storage.  Just my non-classical hi-rez stuff (DSD, PCM) without any CDs or hi-rez classical is about 3TB.

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm »
Are there any pictures of the rear of the unit?

We have pictures.  But options like S/PDIF and Wifi require different motherboards.  So the backs look different depending on the configuration.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm »
Can I attach a 4 TB HD full of music to the Player and have it act like a NAS then on my network?

There are ways this can be done.  You could probably install multiple hard drives internally.  You can mount external USB drives.  Or you can mount a NAS or other existing shared device as well.  Chances are we can design a set-up that would work in any given situation, but we would have to examine what the best options would be.

In the case of a NAS or a computer holding a music database, we could configure a StreamPlayer to access an existing database as long as it was located somewhere on the network.

- Jim 
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2015, 06:52 pm by jsalk »

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2015, 08:58 pm »
Jim,

Would you interested in hearing about an idea for a high quality OLED display that would offer sample rate/ word bit length from ALSA and/or song info from MPD? This would would be and add-on to the StreamPlayer connected via Ethernet cable thus eliminating or reducing display noise to a minimum.

I also had another off the wall idea that involves your custom woodwork prowess, glass silk screening and your SalkstreamPlayer.

maxboy00

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2015, 09:08 am »
Jim,

Much thanks for your response and clarification.

Once I get done ripping my CDs and get an Apple Ipad.... I will then be able to move forward.

There is another OEM that recommended the Apple Air 2 as the preferred tablet for use with their server, which seemed odd, and why I asked if your server had a similar preference. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2015, 11:42 am by maxboy00 »

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm »
Jim,

Would you interested in hearing about an idea for a high quality OLED display that would offer sample rate/ word bit length from ALSA and/or song info from MPD? This would would be and add-on to the StreamPlayer connected via Ethernet cable thus eliminating or reducing display noise to a minimum.

I also had another off the wall idea that involves your custom woodwork prowess, glass silk screening and your SalkstreamPlayer.

I always appreciate your input and love to hear your ideas.  The StreamPlayer would certainly not exist today without your valuable input.  Email me and we can take it off line.

Thanks,

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:56 pm »
Jim,

I have my stream player 2 for quite a while so I guess my streamer is V1 version? What is the different between two versions? Is there a way to upgrade my unit to V2 version if I want too?

Thanks,
Quan

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:56 pm »
Having spent the better part of 72 hours using one of these players linked to one of our LampizatOr 7s, I can wholeheartedly endorse it.   Sick value for the funds and a fantastic option for people who want music, not computer fuss.   :thumb:

The lack of computer fuss and now the option for wifi has me real interested in this player.

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:58 pm »
Yes.  You will use some sort of device (probably an iPad) to control the StreamPlayer.  You can stream Tidal directly from your iPad or iPhone to the StreamPlayer using Airplay.  There are also Airplay apps for Android devices as well if Tidal is available on them. (I don't have an Android device here today, so I can't check.)

- Jim

Is this true for any streaming app?  Particularly Spotify?

Oops.....never mind.  I see this was answered.