NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly

Danny Richie

Re: NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:26 pm »
Your caps and inductors already cost you a fortune, Minisdsp 2*8HD costs $200 and digital amps are now very cheap many models to choose from.

My experience is that you get what you pay for with those. They have lots of features and tools that are fun to play with. They have their place in the budget audio segment of the market. But they spent nothing on the D/A conversion, output stage, power supply, etc. All of those elements are equal to that of a $50 CD player. So the effect is that the life is sucked out of the music. The sound stage collapses and is two dimensional. It is a harsh, edgy, digital sound that is hard to listen to.

A good quality DAC and a well designed passive network will put the performance in a different league.

This speaker is a world class design that is tough to touch with anything. Adding a MiniDSP would be like using a 8 track player from the 70's as your front end.

Captainhemo

« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:12 pm »
Are you using the servo subs with these?  Also are they running as 2 ways or 3 ways?

Hey tyson
Right now, we've got sloped midnight purple  triple 12's (shown in  my flat pack thread), there's  a setof quads, possibly 6 stacks   in the shop that will eventually  be in the system.  they are  3 way

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:39 pm »

Mike,   man,  dallas would be a fun time but    3400+ km's from here  ,  33 + hrs driving time  .  Don't see it in my  crystal ball :(

jay   !

Jay,

Why that just sounds like a good stretch of the legs, jest strap them puppies on the roof rack and head on down  :jester:

Obviously I'm jest jesting ...  :lol:

Would be interesting to listen too but that's not going to happen.  :(

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm »
Jay,

Why that just sounds like a good stretch of the legs, jest strap them puppies on the roof rack and head on down  :jester:

Mike

There's  always the open invitation to come up here and have a listen, nno moving of cabinets involved.

Just incase either falls through, here's a real brief  clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWxAq4ni6k&feature=youtu.be

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:51 am »
There's  always the open invitation to come up here and have a listen, nno moving of cabinets involved.

Just incase either falls through, here's a real brief  clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWxAq4ni6k&feature=youtu.be

jay

Jay,

I hear ya. My getting up there is about as likely as you getting down here. Anymore 4 hours away is all the farther I care to drive.

Mike

bavmike

« Reply #45 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:52 pm »
These speakers sound great. Best I’ve heard from Jay and Don yet, and were still green when I heard them.

bavmike

« Reply #46 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:56 pm »
My experience is that you get what you pay for with those. They have lots of features and tools that are fun to play with. They have their place in the budget audio segment of the market. But they spent nothing on the D/A conversion, output stage, power supply, etc. All of those elements are equal to that of a $50 CD player. So the effect is that the life is sucked out of the music. The sound stage collapses and is two dimensional. It is a harsh, edgy, digital sound that is hard to listen to.

A good quality DAC and a well designed passive network will put the performance in a different league.

This speaker is a world class design that is tough to touch with anything. Adding a MiniDSP would be like using a 8 track player from the 70's as your front end.

Yes I agree. As with anything in Audio, do it right or don’t do it at all. There’s many advantages to going active, but they all get flushed down the toilet if you must use RadioShack grade gear to make it happen.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2017, 04:45 am »
Is it completely wrong that I find myself wondering what both of these speakers might be like with ported bottom ends??

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 30 Oct 2017, 02:16 pm »
Is it completely wrong that I find myself wondering what both of these speakers might be like with ported bottom ends??

Boxed bass, go back to room loading, and potential boominess.....  Nay, it would be a backward step.

bavmike

« Reply #49 on: 6 Nov 2017, 02:52 am »
I’ll be popping by soon to see if we can blow those drivers with this Icepower 1200AS and a bottle of whiskey:)

Captainhemo

« Reply #50 on: 11 Nov 2017, 01:06 am »
I’ll be popping by soon to see if we can blow those drivers with this Icepower 1200AS and a bottle of whiskey:)

Sure,  but I'm guessing you'll blow up from the whiskey before you hrut the spekaers

:lol:

jay

bavmike

« Reply #51 on: 11 Nov 2017, 01:13 am »

Sure,  but I'm guessing you'll blow up from the whiskey before you hrut the spekaers

:lol:

jay

No doubt or the whiskey bottle will blow up from the extreme SPL’s :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #52 on: 11 Nov 2017, 01:17 am »
:beer: