Re: Sensation Functional Questions

cynan

« on: 8 Apr 2010, 06:32 pm »
Sensation is absolutely safe and there's no need for any fixes or switches or whatever.  Ivan did a great job on it.

Yes. My question was kind of dumb - before I read the previous posts closely and realized it was to override the power switch on the amp. Obviously if the soft start is working properly on the Sensation (which is seems to be) then no switch would be necessary.

BTW, how long is the soft-start delay on the Sensation? I set up a battery supply for it and it works great. However when trying to A/B the 130W switching PSU with the batteries (ie, turning the amp off, turning the main power off, swapping PSUs, turning the main power back on, waiting for the single red light on the front, then powering on), sometimes the amp would fail to turn on from standby mode. This seemed to occur predominantly when hooked up to the batteries. Waiting a few seconds did not seem to help, but when I powered off and powered on the main power switch at the back, everything would work. This seemed to only occur when switching from the 130W supply, but I will have to investigate further.

But I guess that turning the main power switch off and on is probably not the best for it... (so maybe trying to A/B power supplies is not really a good idea)

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2010, 07:18 pm »
The soft-start on Sensation works entirely differently.  It charges up the bulk caps as soon as the unit is plugged in and on and effectively mutes the output until stand-by is turned "on."  So you're right... cycling the main power switch could cause strange behaviors.

The thermistor is the same as on the ONE.2 which means that it will fully charge the reserve cap in around 1 second.  So in stand-by mode, Sensation is charged up and waiting for a signal. 

It is my understanding that some of the timing ssues related with quick cycling are software related and nothing that would appear during typical use.  Ivan has some information which we will use for future use.

cynan

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm »
I guess I did post this in the wrong thread  :oops:

Yup. 1 to 2 seconds sounds about right (I can literally hear faint whine of the caps charge up when I turn the main power on when my head is right by it)

Anyway, the issue of it not turning on does sound like it would be software related (software controlled power management?) as the couple of times it's happened, I have received no other indication of anything wrong and a reset of the main power always fixed it.

I will try to avoid frequent cycling of the main power.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:40 pm »
Ivan says that repeated, fast cycling of the stand-by switch, on-off, on-off, can cause the soft-ware to freeze up.  Hard cycling the unit will "reboot" the micro-controller.  Perhaps repeated hard cycling will display similar symptoms.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2010, 08:55 pm »
I always turn off the front power switch first and then the rear main switch before unplugging my batteries or Linear supply from my Sensation. I also wait for the standby light to completely go out before unplugging the power cord from the back of the amp.

I figure the deader it is the safer it is  :wink:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Sensation Functional Questions
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 12:02 am »
Here's the Sensation manual... in progress...

http://www.wihifi.com/virtuemanual/Sensation Manual WIP v2.pdf
http://www.wihifi.com/virtuemanual/Sensation%20Manual%20WIP%20v2.pdf

Please send me a PM with your ideas on what else needs to be in there.

Seth