Anyone else?

classicjt2

Re: Definitive Tech BP10B
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2015, 06:20 pm »
Me too. :green:

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:11 pm »
I once had a pair of BP-10B's. Those speakers do a lot of things very nicely. They really respond to power too and can produce quite deep, tight, bass. I think some of these "entry" Definitives (that don't have the powered subs in them) got overshadowed (by their sub-woofered brethren) and thus got largely overlooked.

lucilius

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2015, 05:15 am »
     Many years ago, I came home from a night at the Zoo Bar (a blues bar in Lincoln Ne) not ready to quit on the music but wanting something different.  I put on Dvorak's American string quartet.  I was mesmerized.  I had never heard it sound better.  I don't remember the amp or cd player I used but the speakers were a pair of Mirage 590i bipolar's.
     Shortly after that night I became the owner of two kittens.  They also liked the Mirage speakers.  They tried to climb them and wanted to used them as scratching posts.  So off to the closet went the speakers.  I had them out several times after that but not for long periods and they just didn't get my attention.
     After looking at this post, I decided to get them out again.  The cats in question are approaching 15 and are not as energetic.  Hooked up to my sensation. the music is addictive.  It make me wonder why I didn't get that same feeling the several times I had them out.
     I'm going to say its the match with the sensation that makes the difference.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2015, 05:38 am »
Awesome story.

Did Sandy Gross design and make those also?  They look like the BP8B version.  Mine have 6.5" woofers and underhung surrounds.

Sensation does well on sensitive speakers.  4 drivers per side really helps boost air pressure and the high sensitivity suggest that they didn't need to fix anything too much in the x-over.

I talked to Sandy briefly and he said that the Golden Ears were much better.  I whipped out my AON2 and he's got a point on the high end.  The ribbons are really nice and it clearly sounds more clear.

But there's a fullness to the dipoles you just don't get in a bookshelf or much anything else I've been playing with lately.

It stands to reason that Danny Richie's does the most exquisite open-baffle designs and that Clayton Shaw is kicking so much but with Spatial Audio these days.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2015, 10:33 am »
Hi Seth,

Talking about the Sensation integrated amplifier do you think you will ever release a product like this again.  Although I'm very happy with my Virtue Audio One.3.

cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 10:54 am by Rocket »

lucilius

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2015, 10:14 pm »
     Mirage was a Canadian company, a part of API.  Mirage worked with Canada's National Research Council to develop the bipolar speakers.  Their first one came out in 1987,  the M-1.  The 590i was a part of a series from the mid 90's.  The 590i is about 36 inches tall. It has two 5 1/2 inch speakers and two 3/4 inch tweeters.  There were three models in the series.  The 1090i would be close to the BP 10b.
     Sometime in the early 2000's, API fell apart.  Mirage was purchased by Klipsch.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2015, 01:47 am »
I'll bet there is more to the story unless everyone was doing the sleeve and top cap thing at that time.  I doubt they ripped it off without a relationship with Definitive.  Or maybe Sandy ripped it off ;-)  We could check the timeline!

lucilius

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:24 am »
     The Mirage M-1 used the sleeve and top cap in 1987.  The speaker was wider and not as deep, five ft tall and weighed about 130 pounds.  Definitive's website says their first speaker, a bipolar, came out in 1990.  Paradigm's bipolars also used the sleeve-top cap.  I think it was just a matter of design sense.  When you have multiple speakers firing forward and backward, a sleeve would be the most logical way to go.

James

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:42 am »
Well, I don't think it is necessarily the most "logical" from a design/esthetic perspective. I think it is just the most practical with respect to cost. Instead of veneering or giving everything a pretty finish and making grills for the fronts AND backs of the speakers, simply making a sock to cover everything is a good way to go.
I'm kind of thinking that Richard Vandersteen probably did this sleeve over frame / box technique before Mirage or Def Tech.....but I could be wrong.

lucilius

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:52 am »
     Maybe they were all cat lovers.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:40 am »
Maybe they were all sock lovers. :lol:

jseipp

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2015, 05:28 am »
The Def Tech BP10s were my first real speakers, and the largest purchase by far I had made at that time.  I thought they were great, but I passed them on to a friend when I started building Danny Richie's open baffle speakers :).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:15 pm »
James T. knows the full story about this... let's hear it, JT!

(Apparently they were all sock lovers in those days)