All VMPS 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

Hemy

All VMPS 5.1 or 7.1 setup?
« on: 9 Jan 2014, 08:23 pm »
Any VMPSrs have an entire VMPS set up out there? I now have 5.1 but need 2 more 626's to complete my 7.1. Curious if any picture could be posted in here to show off your gear and racks!  :thumb:
Maybe also list what you are running for everything?

Campindog

Re: All VMPS 5.1 or 7.1 setup?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2014, 03:50 am »
A little late to the party here (I haven't visited this site in 2 or 3 years).

I have a VMPS 5.2 set up. LRC, RM30 mains, RM2 surrounds and (4) 15" IB Subwoofers. Here's a link that's 9 years old from when I built the room. Things have upgraded since then of course (Ebony cabinets and 65" plasma).

http://home.earthlink.net/~afordfan/id1.html

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2014, 06:12 am »
Great setup Cdog. Do you do 2channel there too? How did the subs work out? I've never seen them up like that. I like it.

Hemy

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply Campin.... nice work!  :thumb:

ST86

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2014, 04:42 pm »

Hi,

I have Supertower/R for mains, Tower ii for rears, a homemade ESS AMT 1 for center, so come to think of it maybe it doesn't qualify as a full VMPS set up.  Use Yamaha DSP A1 to power it all.  No subwoofer, run all channels full range.

Ed

Hemy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2014, 05:21 pm »
Any pictures for sharing?  :eyebrows:

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2014, 09:29 pm »
Use Yamaha DSP A1 to power it all.

How do like the DSP-A1?  I have a DSP-A3090, and I've been  wanting to upgrade.  Nothing wrong with the 3090, it's still running strong.  I'm just itching for a new(er) toy.  And I like Yamaha.  Maybe a RX-V1, or even a RX-Z9!    :D

Oh yea, no joke about not needing subs!  Nice!    :thumb:

Campindog

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:10 am »
Thanks PMAT. The sub placement was a huge gamble, but I got lucky. They integrate perfectly. I've never heard more "musical" subs than mine (including some pretty high end stuff). They still have lots of power, but the real show stopper is how they just disappear and don't muddy the sound at all. Two channel and surround music are what the room was built for. This was when DVD-A and SACD surround were duking it out. People always want to see movies for demo, but I start out with Dark Side of the Moon (Time)in SACD surround and it blows their mind. Every single person has commented they "heard things they never heard before". And I've had folks flip my couch over looking for bass shakers. Fun stuff.

ST86

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:20 pm »

I have been extremely pleased with the DSP A1.  Plenty of power and the flexibility of the built in features is terrific.  The online reviews aren't hype, this is a very good amp.  There are no HDMI inputs, however....

One of the features I really like is the 5.1 analog inputs.  My BluRay player is Oppo BDP-83 and I connect the analog outs of the OPPO to the inputs of the A1.  You are limited to 5.1 this way, you'd need a separate amp if you want to run 7.1.  Stimpy, reply here or PM me if you want more specific details.  EBay typically has A1s for sale around $300.00 - $400.00 depending on condition.  You may also be able to find one in a used equipment section of an audio store.

I made a prototype AMT 1 center from MDF a few months ago and now am in the process of finishing the veneered oak plywood cabinet for the final version.  Sorry Hemy, don't have pictures right now but I can post some when complete.

Ed

Stimpy

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2014, 06:29 pm »
I have been extremely pleased with the DSP A1.  Plenty of power and the flexibility of the built in features is terrific.  The online reviews aren't hype, this is a very good amp.  There are no HDMI inputs, however....

One of the features I really like is the 5.1 analog inputs.  My BluRay player is Oppo BDP-83 and I connect the analog outs of the OPPO to the inputs of the A1.  You are limited to 5.1 this way, you'd need a separate amp if you want to run 7.1.  Stimpy, reply here or PM me if you want more specific details.  EBay typically has A1s for sale around $300.00 - $400.00 depending on condition.  You may also be able to find one in a used equipment section of an audio store.

I made a prototype AMT 1 center from MDF a few months ago and now am in the process of finishing the veneered oak plywood cabinet for the final version.  Sorry Hemy, don't have pictures right now but I can post some when complete.

Ed

Hi ED,

I'd like to see pictures of the custom center too.  I like Frankenspeakers.  They show ingenuity and imagination.  Plus, determination.  All qualities that I appear to lack!  I have a ton of tweeters, woofers, and neo panels, that one day will be used for some type of VMPS 'Clone'.  Now, I just need to build them!   :(

Thanks too, for the comments on your A1.  Nice to hear that's it's a capable piece of equipment.  I remember my dealer telling me that the A1 amps seemed to be better sounding than my 3090.  So, as cheap as they're selling now, since there's no HDMI, I'll need to pick one up!  After that, I can always get a HDMI switch box, from Monoprice, if needed.   :wink:

Oh yea, I'm glad the A1 has the multichannel inputs, which my 3090 lacks.  Other than video switching, that one extra feature makes it future proof.   :)

Take care,

Stewart

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2014, 11:23 pm »
A little late to the party here (I haven't visited this site in 2 or 3 years).

I have a VMPS 5.2 set up. LRC, RM30 mains, RM2 surrounds and (4) 15" IB Subwoofers. Here's a link that's 9 years old from when I built the room. Things have upgraded since then of course (Ebony cabinets and 65" plasma).

http://home.earthlink.net/~afordfan/id1.html

Yes, I remember that system well.

Where have you been?

Campindog

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2014, 05:03 pm »
Hey John,
Glad to see you're still active here. We lost a great guy are a true innovator when Brian passed.

We ended up fostering, then adopting a couple boys from the local children's shelter and I got out of audio. I'm sorta getting back into it now and looking to upgrade my LRC. Where to find a single RM30 or RM40? LOL

Derek

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
 :thumb:

ST86

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:33 am »
Hi,

I know it has been a while, I finally finished the center channel enough to post some pictures.  I still need to make the grill and do the final tweaks on the finish but I got tired of not having a center so figured I’d put it in service and enjoy it for a while. 

Here is the completed crossover.

Here is the cabinet with the crossover installed.

And here it is hooked up and operational. 

This is a pic of the center along with the Supertower mains and the optional “extra” front fill channels from the DSP-A1.  The front fills are ESS PS-8.

Cheers,

Ed

Stimpy

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2014, 04:10 pm »
I know it has been a while, I finally finished the center channel enough to post some pictures.  I still need to make the grill and do the final tweaks on the finish but I got tired of not having a center so figured I’d put it in service and enjoy it for a while.

Hi Ed,

Good job on the center!!!  It looks really nice!!!

That's a good looking build.  Is that a Goldwood woofer?  What size?  Does it blend well with your front VMPS speakers?  Good choice on the ESS tweeter too.  Those tweeters, and their variations, are really popular now, what with Adam, Golden Ear, and Martin Logan all using ESS tweeters.  It makes me want to pick up a few from Parts Express, and build a line array using those tweeters and my Monsoon Neo drivers.  I keep mentally tweaking the design; I need to break down and build it.  Or at least start on some prototypes, to finalized my ideas!

Thanks for sharing!

Stimpy

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2014, 04:55 pm »
This is a pic of the center along with the Supertower mains and the optional “extra” front fill channels from the DSP-A1.  The front fills are ESS PS-8.

Oh yea, I didn't pick up a Yamaha DSP-A1.  I found it's 'little' brother, the RX-V3000.  Not too little, at 51 lbs.  And it's rated very highly, and can output decent power:

MAIN, 8/6/4/2 ohms...140/170/220/320W

Plus, for $75 bucks, who am I to complain!    :thumb:

ST86

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2014, 05:10 pm »
Thanks Stimpy.  Yes, that is a 12" Goldwood woofer.

http://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-12pc-4-12-heavy-duty-woofer-4-ohm--290-332

I chose that one because I have its 15" big brother, listed in the Original and Replacement Drivers thread, in my Supertowers.

The slot loaded passive is a 12" Dayton passive, again from Parts Express.  The cabinet, except for the Heil plunked on the top, was designed to look like a small version of the Supertowers. 

Limited listening time so far but initial impressions are the Heil is more efficient and detailed than the corresponding frequency drivers in the Supertowers.  The center has two pots, one for overall tweeter volume and one for treble adjustment.  There is enough range where I expect to have no trouble dialing things in.

By the way, the Heil is from eBay and is vintage.

I have read good things about the V3000. Nice score at $75.00!

Cheers,

Ed

Stimpy

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2014, 06:08 pm »
a 12" Goldwood woofer, a slot loaded passive is a 12" Dayton passive, again from Parts Express.

I noticed the slot, as soon as I posted earlier, and wondered if you had a passive in there!?!  So, you basically built your own Smaller Sub, with the 12X12 combination.  Did it work as well as you'd hoped??  Decent bass, and upper extension?  I'm not familiar with the ESS tweeter, so I don't know it's low pass capabilities?  But, that Goldwood has very good efficiency and extends to 2KHz.  So, that looks like a good choice.  I guess that explains why Brian was using those woofers too!

ST86

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:06 pm »

The original ESS AMT-1 design uses a 12" flat passive disk, rear mounted.  I decided to change that and emulate the Supertowers by moving it to the bottom and slot loading.  Made the base tall enough to get my hand in there and add or remove putty. 

The woofer is 4 ohms to match the original design.  This is also to stay in line with the crossover which is designed for a 4 ohm woofer.  The intended crossover to the Heil is around 800 Hz.

I have not done any putty pinching so haven't tuned the bass but so far things sound pretty good.  One of my main goals for this center channel was very clean midrange and vocals and the Heil has already achieved it.

Ed

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2014, 05:33 pm »
Hi Ed,

Looks like you have TWO L-pads in the crossover.  With this being a 2-way, what is the second L-pad for?

Strangely enough, I have been searching for a speaker line to replace VMPS (virtually impossible task) and I have come across one here that has the same design as you used.

They use a driver similar to the HEIL Air Motion Transformer (only bigger and with a horn) in a two way.  Haven't heard them yet, but they might have a chance.