Rogue Audio 99 Super Magnum / Stereo 100 Review - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Hey folks, 

For those that follow along with my reviews or are interested in the 99 Super / Stereo 100. I just posted the review yesterday and wanted to share here.

Link after the blurb:

"For anyone following New Record Day, they already know that if their was any such thing of a “Rogue Audio fan-boy”, I would be first in line to buy the shirt. The Cronus Magnum review is one of the most popular reviews I have done and it’s recognition is well deserved. After many conversations and emails to Mark Obrien, we made the decision to check out gear that is supposed to be transcend the Cronus in every possible way. Does the 99 Super Magnum and Stereo 100 kick the door down or end up with return shipping labels headed back to Mark? Check out the review and find out!"

http://www.newrecordday.com/rogue-audio-99-super-magnum-stereo-100/

As always, thanks for watching and supporting Audiocircle.

-Ron

Ericus Rex

Re: Rogue Audio 99 Super Magnum / Stereo 100 Review - Video
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2014, 09:20 pm »
That's a great review Ron, big improvement over your Cronus review.  I also own both the 99 and 100 while my 99 is not Super.  I would be interested to hear your comparison of the stock magnum vs. super magnum versions.  I suspect some of that detail you mention would be gone in the standard magnum version.  The 99 can also benefit substantially from tube rolling.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2014, 09:50 pm »
That's a great review Ron, big improvement over your Cronus review.  I also own both the 99 and 100 while my 99 is not Super.  I would be interested to hear your comparison of the stock magnum vs. super magnum versions.  I suspect some of that detail you mention would be gone in the standard magnum version.  The 99 can also benefit substantially from tube rolling.

Thanks! Appreciate the comments. What tubes have you tried and what were your results?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2014, 09:56 pm »
The amp uses 12AX7 drivers and 12AU7 phase splitters, I presume? Sending you a PM

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm »
The amp uses 12AX7 drivers and 12AU7 phase splitters, I presume? Sending you a PM

It's the reverse, actually.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:08 am »
Thanks! Appreciate the comments. What tubes have you tried and what were your results?

I roll lots of different tubes in and out.  Currently I have old stock Tung Sol 6SN7s in the pre and RCA Cleartop 12AU7s and Sylvania 12AX7s in the amp.  Old stock tubes do sound better than current production, IMO, but you're bound to get some tube rush with them.  If 'dead silent' is a high priority for you I'd stick with current production.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:24 pm »
I've liked the Psvane 12AX7s in my Stereo 90 Super Magnum. But it is a "Modern" sounding tube for better or worse. More freq extension, especially on the bass, but maybe a bit less "midrange magic" offered by vintage tubes.

usp1

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:33 pm »
This is a general question about audio reviews which post sample audio. Since the viewer/listener is hearing the sample through their own sound system, how do these samples help one evaluate the system being reviewed. This is not a criticism of the current review just a question that pops into my head every time I see such audio samples for reviewed systems.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:57 pm »
This is a general question about audio reviews which post sample audio. Since the viewer/listener is hearing the sample through their own sound system, how do these samples help one evaluate the system being reviewed. This is not a criticism of the current review just a question that pops into my head every time I see such audio samples for reviewed systems.

Its such a valid question. If I had it my way, I wouldn't bother with review samples but alas, many viewers continue to request that I do them. I suppose the question is, does a sample give ANY clear idea on the overall sound of the system? There are so many variables starting with mics and their overall sound signature. As an example, the Rode M5's I am using actually add a top end that makes me feel like the samples are much brighter than in person. Besides the mics, we need to consider mic placement? Is mic'ing the speaker from the listening position going to give the best results? Well, not in my experience, unless you care to add MY room into the equation. I could go on and on...

Ron

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:06 pm »
Like the new rack!

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:46 pm »
Rogue Audio has been one of the 'audio over achievers' for years IMO, I live and work fairly close to Mark, enjoy his company and his products. Currently driving my M/L Spire's with a pair of M-180's.

roboss38

« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:55 pm »
I have a Stereo 100 paired with an ARC Reference 5SE in my rig, and the two pieces have a great synergy. The Stereo 100 is an amazing value IMHO.

usp1

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:51 am »
Its such a valid question. If I had it my way, I wouldn't bother with review samples but alas, many viewers continue to request that I do them. I suppose the question is, does a sample give ANY clear idea on the overall sound of the system? There are so many variables starting with mics and their overall sound signature. As an example, the Rode M5's I am using actually add a top end that makes me feel like the samples are much brighter than in person. Besides the mics, we need to consider mic placement? Is mic'ing the speaker from the listening position going to give the best results? Well, not in my experience, unless you care to add MY room into the equation. I could go on and on...

Ron

Precisely what I was getting at. I suppose having the audio samples adds a level of rigor to what otherwise are very subjective conclusions. At least this way One gets to hear something and make up ones mind.

Very nicely done reviews btw.

Robert Martellaro

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2014, 02:50 pm »
Ron,

I'm using an older, used Rogue 99 Magnum that came with 1960's Russian 6sn7s. The Russian tubes sounded good but were old and becoming noisy. Mark at Rogue sent me a quad each of the Sino 6sn7s, and Sylvania 6sn7 GTAs from the early 50's.

I tried the Sino tubes for 40 hours, but they were harsh with lots of glare.   

The Sylvania's were the best, better than the NOS Russians, detailed, smooth highs, without glare. Soundstaging and midrange bloom were also intoxicating. The difference compared to the Sino tubes was significant.

Power amp is an Atlas Magnum with KT120s, driving Zu Omens. Front end is a Marantz 8003 and Rega RP3.