Sound dampening - the Hubble way! :)

derekcooper

Sound dampening - the Hubble way! :)
« on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:51 pm »
So, totally off the Bryston theme, finished building my Hubble sound dampening panels yesterday.

Images from the Hubble online database of images, fabrics printed by Spoonflower in the Carolinas, 3" deep frames with Roxul sound dampening behind the fabrics.

Had to brag - enjoy the pics.

servingko

Re: Sound dampening - the Hubble way! :)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2016, 08:48 pm »
Very cool!  Did you use standard photo on canvas or are they more of an open weave?  I have been entertaining this idea but all the photo on canvas I have seen is pretty much a solid barrier once printed on and would then reflect high/mid frequencies making them less useful at first reflection points, something I most wanted to use them for.  I love the space theme and the images from the Hubble are truly surreal.

derekcooper

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 08:52 pm »
You can't use standard canvas for the reason you pointed out - you really want a porous material, otherwise the sound just bounces off the canvas.

Have a look at the Spoonflower website - they can print images on fabrics. Fabrics are porous and allow the sound to pass through them - some better than others.

If you Google Spoonflower, someone even spent the time to review the various fabrics on offer at Spoonflower and which of the bunch makes the best sound panel! How cool is that.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:04 am »
Wow! I really like these. I assume the panels themselves are DIY by you(?).

I also like that spoonflower can print images such as these on different fabrics.

Michael

servingko

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:23 am »
You can't use standard canvas for the reason you pointed out - you really want a porous material, otherwise the sound just bounces off the canvas.

Have a look at the Spoonflower website - they can print images on fabrics. Fabrics are porous and allow the sound to pass through them - some better than others.

If you Google Spoonflower, someone even spent the time to review the various fabrics on offer at Spoonflower and which of the bunch makes the best sound panel! How cool is that.

Thanks for the tip.  I will have to check them out.

derekcooper

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:08 pm »
Here's the link to the DIY that Luma posted over on AVS:

http://goo.gl/szxuIS

I used Roxul sound dampening as I found it very *open* as an insulator:

http://www.roxul.com/residential/create+a+quiet+home

I had my framing shop prepare the frame - they are much better at it than me and would use high quality wood that wouldn't warp as humidity varied throughout the year. Just don't try and resell them if you're using the Hubble images - they are fine for personal use but are protected under copyright if you're going to resell them.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
Very nice. Stunning images.  :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2016, 01:24 am »
Great panels!  And I see you have electrostats too.

derekcooper

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2016, 01:36 am »
Great panels!

Thanks!

And I see you have electrostats too.

Yes indeed - new this year. Loving them. 9B SST 2 pushing 5 Martin Logans for home theatre.