ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

AB

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1220 on: 9 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm »
Great news that the 7N7 works and sounds great. I would be interested in adapters - 6SN7 to 7N7. Dan's new Sony CDP will be the recipient rather than a TP.

Funny, I haven't heard the new CDP - and won't for a few more weeks - but I am already planning the tube options.  :duh:

owenmd

« Reply #1221 on: 9 Jun 2009, 09:31 pm »
FWIW, I have just ordered in some Loctal sockets to experiment with adapters. They can be built from a 9 pin male or an octal male.

I should be able to have a couple of prototypes ready in a week or two.

owenmd, I can send you a pair to evaluate is you will PM me your address.

There is also a pair of Bybee Octal adapters undergoing evaluation by one of the members of this board.

Thanks Wayne.... much appreciated.

I am interested in the final conclusions of the current Bybee beta test adapters.... we'll see.

Best,

Mark

modwright

« Reply #1222 on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:31 pm »
OK, I know that I am late to the party, but I have finally auditioned the Transporter with EML rectifier and 6SN7 tubes.  I don't have Tung-Sol round plates, but rather a pair of 'chrome domes'.  The sound IS exceptional and the EML tube is fantastic!

I have since tried the EML tube in our SWLP preamp design as well as our LS 36.5 and I have to say that it IS the king of rectifiers.  Thanks to George for bringing such quality new production tubes to the U.S.!

Sincerely,

Dan w.

mikel51

« Reply #1223 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:33 am »
Well I received my turbo power supply upgrade around the beginning of May.  I've been breaking it in and rolling around in tube diversity....but never quite getting it right.  I finally hit very high note in sound.  One of the new variables is a JAN CHS 5U4G/VT-244 from sylvania dated 10/43.  This is a very cool tube with extra metal rod supports.  The second high point is a pair of USN CTL-6SN7WGTA from Tung Sol dated 12/56.  All I can say is "WOW"  Great tonality, great clarity, great timber and depth.  This is the best I've ever had my Modwright transporter sounding.   For the record, I do want to roll my round plate Tung Sol 6sn7 from the 40s and my Raytheon 6sn7WGTA back in for evaluation in the context of tube changes in my amplifier and the new 5U4G/VT-244....but my motivation to experiment is not very high right now because the magic is happening.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1224 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:51 am »
....but my motivation to experiment is not very high right now because the magic is happening.

A huge hint/recommendation from the ole' elected Prez of the MW Tube Rolling Club......
DO NOT touch your TP or do any tube rolling when the magic is happening!!  :thumb:

Let it happen!!     :wine:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1225 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:04 am »
Well I got my bug zapper, er..I mean my EML tube back from Ted.

I'll put it back into the system with a Herbie's UltraSonic Rx Damping Instrument on it and see what happens.

Stay tuned.

George

owenmd

« Reply #1226 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:42 pm »
Has anyone tried something like CBS Hytron 5692's.... red or brown base...?  They're supposed to be the deluxe version of 6SN7's from what I can make out?

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1227 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:46 pm »
Has anyone tried something like CBS Hytron 5692's.... red or brown base...?  They're supposed to be the deluxe version of 6SN7's from what I can make out?

Mark

Yes and Yes.

They sound just like they are described here:

http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html

Not my cup of tea for the Modwright TP, but I can see how they could be very nice for somebody else.

George
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 07:40 pm by zybar »

owenmd

« Reply #1228 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:10 pm »
Thanks George.... doesn't sound like a "must have" does it...?

Rasta

« Reply #1229 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to try the Shuguang Treasure series CV181Z in a MWTP?

The tube is a substitute for the 6sn7, but apparently, not a direct replacement.  I'm not sure if it would work in the MWTP.  But, it could be interesting if it does.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68645.0

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1230 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:44 pm »
Thanks George.... doesn't sound like a "must have" does it...?

It really depends on what you are looking for.

I find them a little too soft at the extremes and a little too warm in the middle.  But for somebody who craves a warm and lush mid-range, they will be in love.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1231 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm »

The tube is a substitute for the 6sn7, but apparently, not a direct replacement.  I'm not sure if it would work in the MWTP.  But, it could be interesting if it does.

At those prices you can almost get any 6SN7/VT-231 out there, so that would be a big factor for me.

In the review on tnt-audio.com, they compare the Shuguang Treasure series CV181Z tube to the Brimar 6SN7.  While the Brimar is a very nice tube, I don't share the same opinion of the reviewer that the Brimar is superior to the best from Tung-Sol or Sylvania.

If somebody does try it, hopefully that person has the means to compare it to some other good 6SN7's.

George

orientalexpress

« Reply #1232 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:15 am »

i try that tubes already.It's doesn't work on transporter.it's die on me on the 2nd day.i return both and they're refund back my money.
Speaking of Tubes,Have anybody try russian cryoset  6sn7 tube yet?

lapsan

Philistine

« Reply #1233 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:04 am »

I had dialogue with Ian Grant on these tubes, and confirm what orientalexpress stated - they are not compatible.
A pity as these could have been an interesting option.   

Wayne1

9 pin to Loctal Adapters
« Reply #1234 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:43 pm »

I have built a pair of 9 pin to Loctal adapters for use with the Modwright Transporter.

This adapter will allow you to use the inexpensive 7N7 tubes.

The pair pictured here will be traveling up to Washington to allow the good folks at Modwright a chance to evaluate the adapters and some 7N7s.

If anyone is interested in buying a set of adapters, please PM me about them. Cost is the same as the Octal adapters. I can also build Octal to Loctal.

Rasta

« Reply #1235 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:29 am »
I have a matched pair of Ken Rads that aren't a good match in my system.  Anyone want to trade (+ cash) their Russian 6H8Cs  for them?

Pm me if you want a good deal on the KRs.

tdangelo

« Reply #1236 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:38 am »
I have a matched pair of Ken Rads that aren't a good match in my system.  Anyone want to trade (+ cash) their Russian 6H8Cs  for them?

Pm me if you want a good deal on the KRs.

The 6H8C's sound much better than the Kenrads in my system  :thumb:

Rasta

« Reply #1237 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:09 am »
Self edited due to silly response.  :?
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2009, 01:24 am by Rasta »

Dimfer

« Reply #1238 on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:50 am »
Hi Fellas,

I am expecting delivery of my Modwright Platinum Truth Transporter from Dan and the octal tube adaptor for the 6sn7's from Bolder. Per Dan's recommendation, I sourced an EML 5u4G already and awaiting delivery of the following NOS 6sn7 pairs - Tung-Sol Round Plate (one pair round mica, one pair oval mica), Ken-Rad VT231, Sylvania black plates VT231, and Mullard ECC33. I tied to read and absorb as much as I could out of this thread, but at 60 plus pages, I tend to get sidetracked.

Reason for this post - just making sure that I am on the right track and all the tubes that I got will work with MWTP. So please, if any of the tubes I listed will not work, please let me know. A friend also speaks very highly of Osram or Marconi B65, but has not tested for this particular application, I can't recall anybody posting about this tube on this thread. I have a pending deal on this tube but will wait for additional feedback as it represents a serious investment. Please educate me.

I intend to use the MWTP conventionally and very eager to know if it will have a good synergy when used a DAC for my Nova Physics Memory Player. I think the NPMP is a very good transport and I am hoping the MWTP will improve upon my old and trusty MBL 1511.

Cheers,
Fernando   

Philistine

« Reply #1239 on: 6 Jul 2009, 01:10 pm »
Hi Fellas,

I am expecting delivery of my Modwright Platinum Truth Transporter from Dan and the octal tube adaptor for the 6sn7's from Bolder. Per Dan's recommendation, I sourced an EML 5u4G already and awaiting delivery of the following NOS 6sn7 pairs - Tung-Sol Round Plate (one pair round mica, one pair oval mica), Ken-Rad VT231, Sylvania black plates VT231, and Mullard ECC33. I tied to read and absorb as much as I could out of this thread, but at 60 plus pages, I tend to get sidetracked.

Reason for this post - just making sure that I am on the right track and all the tubes that I got will work with MWTP. So please, if any of the tubes I listed will not work, please let me know. A friend also speaks very highly of Osram or Marconi B65, but has not tested for this particular application, I can't recall anybody posting about this tube on this thread. I have a pending deal on this tube but will wait for additional feedback as it represents a serious investment. Please educate me.

I intend to use the MWTP conventionally and very eager to know if it will have a good synergy when used a DAC for my Nova Physics Memory Player. I think the NPMP is a very good transport and I am hoping the MWTP will improve upon my old and trusty MBL 1511.

Cheers,
Fernando

Fernando, welcome to the MWTP rolling thread - we've gone through many tube discoveries over the many pages on the thread, and I believe you've captured the main conclusions as to what rectifier and signal tube combination's to use to extract the best music out of the TP.  I can't recall seeing any posts on the Mullard ECC33, so your feedback on comparing this with the TS round plates will be interesting.  The Marconi B65 is a very expensive tube, a search revealed a pair at $900, if these turn out to be the ultimate tube please don't tell me :o just enjoy them!
Phil