Camera to take to Staple Center/Laker Game

viggen

Camera to take to Staple Center/Laker Game
« on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:06 am »
What camera would you take to the watch a basketball game?

I am thinking either Panny FZ1000 or Sony RX10 assuming I can get these two hand canons through security.

If I have to go smaller then maybe Sony RX100 or Olympus XZ2.

I have a Nikon D7000 but won't be able to get through security.

Doublej

Re: Camera to take to Staple Center/Laker Game
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:09 am »
The one with the longest lens, no?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:28 am »
See rules here.

Guest Services FAQs
Are cameras allowed inside STAPLES Center?[/b]
Yes! Non-professional, non-flash, still photography is permitted at most events (disposable, digital, or 35mm cameras with no interchangeable or telephoto lens). Video and audio recording is prohibited. Please note that some shows will have a different camera policy. Please see the specific event page or contact
contact Guest Services for further information
[/size]
[/color][/size]

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:13 pm »
The one with the longest lens, no?

yah i want to take the "longest" one with the brightest lens with me.  but not sure whether anyone has experience getting these through security since they don't allow larger pro-ish camera in the arena unless you have press credentials.

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:14 pm »
See rules here.

thanks.  was wondering what people actually brought with them into the arena.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:40 pm »
yah i want to take the "longest" one with the brightest lens with me.  but not sure whether anyone has experience getting these through security since they don't allow larger pro-ish camera in the arena unless you have press credentials.

Well take a step back and look at this one. If one has a DSLR that can take pics in low light and has a spot meter, (anyone can buy this) AND that person gets a very long lens that opens up to a large aperature (anyone can buy this) AND they get a professional tripod (anyone can buy this) it stands to reason THAT PERSON could set that up and take great PRO LOOKING action photographs that can MAKE THEM MONEY.

Or one does not NEED to BUY action photographs of athletes. That is why there are rules set up for this at games. This is also why, we do not set see these fans in the stands with a long lens on a tripod.

If you are determined to do this.... I wish you good luck. Keep in mind, a camera that will do this and the lens will set you back. Think Canon EOS 6D and EF120mm F5.6. A EF800 F5.6 IS lens might work. The EF800mm lists for about 14grand.

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2014, 09:05 pm »
Well take a step back and look at this one. If one has a DSLR that can take pics in low light and has a spot meter, (anyone can buy this) AND that person gets a very long lens that opens up to a large aperature (anyone can buy this) AND they get a professional tripod (anyone can buy this) it stands to reason THAT PERSON could set that up and take great PRO LOOKING action photographs that can MAKE THEM MONEY.

Or one does not NEED to BUY action photographs of athletes. That is why there are rules set up for this at games. This is also why, we do not set see these fans in the stands with a long lens on a tripod.

If you are determined to do this.... I wish you good luck. Keep in mind, a camera that will do this and the lens will set you back. Think Canon EOS 6D and EF120mm F5.6. A EF800 F5.6 IS lens might work. The EF800mm lists for about 14grand.

sir i am asking for cameras that i can take INSIDE the arena as a spectator not as a member of the press.

notice the cameras i mentoned  in op are all hand held point and shoots.

kmmd

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm »
Viggen,  I snuck in a D300 with zoom several times two years ago.  I chose the line with an old lady to get into Staples with my tix and got lucky that she didn't know much about cameras.  The past two years I just enjoyed the games.  Where will you be parking?   If you park in Lot 1 or directly next to Staples, then you can exchange cameras easily.  The  D7000 will be tough as may the RX10 and FZ1000.  I would attempt the RX and FZ first however.  Good luck!

Lakers vs Clippers 2012

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:01 pm »
Hey!

Of all the cameras you listed, I would go with the Sony RX10 with it's good zoom range and useful wide aperture. And it is not as big as most DSLR so it won't attract much attention... unless you like that than get the biggest Canon DSLR you can afford  :lol:

And since it is not interchangeble lens camera it won't be consider to be a pro camera to some, so you might get it in easier. But that camera is quite a capable all in one camera.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:03 pm »
A tripod in places like that?  No way! Not only would it be cumbersome and obvious to all but you'd have a helluva time tracking the action.   If your shutter speeds are so low that you need a tripod, you won't be able to freeze the action anyway.   With the illumination they have in places like that a 2.8 zoom (70-200?) would be all you need. 

An 800 lens, even in the hands of a media pro, would be worthless.  It's too long a focal length to do much more than shoot the other end of the court.  A 300 or 400 2.8 maybe, but when the action is in the near court a 70-200, 24-70 or similar would be the choice.

I own an 800mm 5.6 (manual focus) lens.  Wildlife and motorsports are its strengths, not fast action in tight quarters.

Wanna shoot in Staples?  Put your 70-200 2.8 in one jacket pocket, the body in the other, and don't take it out early in the game.  Wait 'til security relaxes.

kmmd

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:27 pm »
A tripod in places like that?  No way! Not only would it be cumbersome and obvious to all but you'd have a helluva time tracking the action.   If your shutter speeds are so low that you need a tripod, you won't be able to freeze the action anyway.   With the illumination they have in places like that a 2.8 zoom (70-200?) would be all you need. 

An 800 lens, even in the hands of a media pro, would be worthless.  It's too long a focal length to do much more than shoot the other end of the court.  A 300 or 400 2.8 maybe, but when the action is in the near court a 70-200, 24-70 or similar would be the choice.

I own an 800mm 5.6 (manual focus) lens.  Wildlife and motorsports are its strengths, not fast action in tight quarters.

Wanna shoot in Staples?  Put your 70-200 2.8 in one jacket pocket, the body in the other, and don't take it out early in the game.  Wait 'til security relaxes.

I'm not sure how easy it is to pass security with such a setup, as I've never tried.  Getting through the first ticket scanning may stop you all ready, but emptying your pockets to get through the metal detector will most likely prohibit your camera from going further.  Also, once you get to your seats, security and attendants roam around and will point you out.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:54 pm »
Didn't know security was that tight.    :duh:

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2014, 02:33 am »
sir i am asking for cameras that i can take INSIDE the arena as a spectator not as a member of the press.

notice the cameras i mentoned  in op are all hand held point and shoots.

I stand corrected. Given the shots in your thread, some decent pics can be taken! I guess I am thinking about optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom to get the nonpixelized and clear picture. Perhaps a camera with a larger sensor and more megapixels can do the trick. Good luck with your trip...

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2014, 06:50 am »
Many years ago I went to Madison Square Garden in NYC and took pictures and slides of rock concerts. Kodak 400 asa
film was relatively new which helped quite a bit.  At that time I owned a Pentax ME Super (relatively small camera body
with a 135mm telephoto lens) also not that big.

I would detach the lens and put covers on both the lens and camera body. I put the lens in my back pocket and hung the
camera with strap over my left shoulder so the body hung at my side just above the waist, then I put on a light jacket or a
blazer which was popular at that time, I never got stopped one time.