BP-17 Problem

1ZIP

BP-17 Problem
« on: 9 Aug 2014, 05:46 pm »
I purchased a new BP-17 in May of this year.  Up until a few days ago it has been an excellent machine.  But a few nights ago it suddenly went onto the standby mode.  I turned it on again and it was fine.  I was using it late last night and as usual before retiring I powered it down to the standby mode.  This morning I went to turn it on and it was already on, odd that I forgot to turn it off.  Then I went to turn it off and it would not.  Finally I had to unplug it to get it to shut down. Now it is operating normally again.

At first I thought is might be a heat problem but there is open space all around the unit.  Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Also, I am assuming that the mute light coming on for a few seconds after start up is normal?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP-17 Problem
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2014, 07:00 pm »
I purchased a new BP-17 in May of this year.  Up until a few days ago it has been an excellent machine.  But a few nights ago it suddenly went onto the standby mode.  I turned it on again and it was fine.  I was using it late last night and as usual before retiring I powered it down to the standby mode.  This morning I went to turn it on and it was already on, odd that I forgot to turn it off.  Then I went to turn it off and it would not.  Finally I had to unplug it to get it to shut down. Now it is operating normally again.

At first I thought is might be a heat problem but there is open space all around the unit.  Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Also, I am assuming that the mute light coming on for a few seconds after start up is normal?

Hi

Yes it is normal for the light to come on a few seconds later as it is checking all is ok. Keep an  eye on it but it may have just been a glitch as on and off functions are software controlled.

James

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:24 pm »
I guess that is what it was, because it has not reoccurred.  Odd glitch, the unit would be powered down to standby.  Then 20 to 30 minutes later the appropriate green lights would come on, then lockup with no output.  The only way to clear it would be to unplug it.  Maybe it didn't like the music I was playing?  I have never been fond of country western anyway.

2f-major

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2014, 11:14 pm »
Had the same problem a few days ago. Unfortunately, after pulling the plug and try to power the BP-17 up again, there was silence. No function anymore. First I thought it blew the fuse again, as it did it a few times, but this time the fuse was not blown. Have sent it over through the dealer to the Austrian sales department. Hopefully they or better the guys at Bryston can resolve it. Seems a little bit sensitive that little new 17er. Hope it gets rid of its childhood diseases, as it is a wonderful sounding pre-amp though.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:27 pm »
Let us know what happens.  I agree it is a great unit and I'm happy with its performance and appearance.   The only minor nit is that the volume knob seems a little large.

1ZIP

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:05 pm »
Major;

Curious if you had an update on your "17" problem.  Mine starting to act up again with the same problem as before.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2014, 05:01 pm »
Maybe it's static build up? Just a wild guess because my Blu-ray player used to act very strange (auto power up, off, ejecting disc randomly)  and a friend fixed it by removing the power cord,  one hand on the player's metal contacts and the other hand on my metal lamp pole..... :scratch:

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:25 am »
The problem is getting worse.  Along with the self start problem, now sometimes it will not come out of standby.  In order to get it to come on it has to be unplugged, wait a few minutes, then plug it in again.  Sometimes it takes more than one try.

I sent an email off to Mike describing  the problem.  I suspect it will have to be shipped back to Bryston.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2014, 02:56 am »
The problem is getting worse.  Along with the self start problem, now sometimes it will not come out of standby.  In order to get it to come on it has to be unplugged, wait a few minutes, then plug it in again.  Sometimes it takes more than one try.

I sent an email off to Mike describing  the problem.  I suspect it will have to be shipped back to Bryston.

It may be software.

James

2f-major

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2014, 12:47 pm »
Major;

Curious if you had an update on your "17" problem.  Mine starting to act up again with the same problem as before.

Bryston sales rep from austria contacted me to describe the bug in more detail today. They will check with Bryston directly what to do or whether send it in. Will keep you updated.

1ZIP

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2014, 05:25 am »
Update:

Now it will not come out of standby.  So at this point it is useless. 

I have not heard back from Mike yet but I'm going to pack it up for shipping.  Not sure where to ship it....U.S. Service?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:14 am »
Update:

Now it will not come out of standby.  So at this point it is useless. 

I have not heard back from Mike yet but I'm going to pack it up for shipping.  Not sure where to ship it....U.S. Service?

Hi

Yes US service but send me an email to jamestanner@bryston.com and I will pass along to Mike.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2014, 06:26 pm »
Done.

Scheduled for FedEx delivery on 9/2. 

I hope this is an easy diagnosis and not one of those intermittent problems that drives everyone nuts!

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2014, 07:00 pm »
Relax, Bryston (and PMC in my experience) represent the best CS and usually sold by some of the best dealers in business.

My MPS2 power unit for the BP26 pre-amp just died several days back but the local AD already took it away and pin pointed the problem in 24 hours, now it's waiting for replacement parts to arrive and will be ready in a week or two.  The best part is , they even gave me one of their brand new display wadia321 D/A (for the built in digital pre-amp) as a temporary replacement, so I'm happy. :green:

The serial indicate it's the 8th unit, guess it's the very first batch  :green: working wonders with my 25 yrs old CD player .

1ZIP

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2014, 12:49 am »
Even as I read I'm getting a warm reassuring glow. :)

r.strefford

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2015, 02:42 pm »
Hi all,

My BP17 has also been exhibiting these same symptoms.

I have been searching the Internet for answers and found this.

Did Bryston get to the bottom of this issue?

Does it only cause a problem with early units.

I've had my BP17 for just over a year and this issue seems to be happening more frequently recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2015, 02:57 pm »
Hi all,

My BP17 has also been exhibiting these same symptoms.

I have been searching the Internet for answers and found this.

Did Bryston get to the bottom of this issue?

Does it only cause a problem with early units.

I've had my BP17 for just over a year and this issue seems to be happening more frequently recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please email Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

r.strefford

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2015, 03:25 pm »
Thanks James,

I copied you in on the email.

Rob

r.strefford

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:37 pm »
Hi James,

My BP17 has finally given up the ghost it would seem. Despite hard cycling the power several times the Power LED now doesn't even light up.

I emailed Mike, but have had no response so far.

I'm based in the UK and my unit is around a year old.

What's the procedure for a return/repair? Can I do this with PMC UK or do I need to go through the dealer?

Any help is greatly appreciated as right now my hifi is just a very expensive collection of items that don't make much sound!

I have the original shipping box, how long am I likely to be without a preamp?

Thanks,

Rob Strefford

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2015, 07:54 pm »
Hi James,

My BP17 has finally given up the ghost it would seem. Despite hard cycling the power several times the Power LED now doesn't even light up.

I emailed Mike, but have had no response so far.

I'm based in the UK and my unit is around a year old.

What's the procedure for a return/repair? Can I do this with PMC UK or do I need to go through the dealer?

Any help is greatly appreciated as right now my hifi is just a very expensive collection of items that don't make much sound!

I have the original shipping box, how long am I likely to be without a preamp?

Thanks,

Rob Strefford

Hi Rob

Got your email and answered.  Sorry you are having a problem.

james