Supertower/R iii SE help

bigdawg2053

Supertower/R iii SE help
« on: 21 May 2015, 10:30 pm »
I'm new here and new to VMPS..  But I just bought these off CL because I've never seen or even heard of a pair in my neck of the woods before (Fl.). But they have some problems and I'm going to need some help to get these back to all they're glory. Overall condition is not too bad. But they have 1 T120 FG tweeter out. The Lpads are very, very stiff. And they now have Goldwoods for woofers. Two of the phase plugs have fallen out (but I still have them). The rest seems to be as it should be. They do play and that bass is unreal. I did locate some T120K's with some help from the guys over at AudioKarma. So I'll use a Kevlar T120 till I can locate the proper tweet or repair parts. So any advice on reinstalling the phase plugs, cleaning the Lpads and locating the proper tweeter or VC is very welcome and appreciated. Also can anyone tell me when these were made?

John Casler

Re: Supertower/R iii SE help
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2015, 01:08 pm »
Welcome, glad to see you have those wonderful LEGENDS.

1) The phase plugs can simply be glued back into place (carefully) with any good glue.  I would place the speakers on their backs, center the plug, and let the glue dry overnight, so they don't move during the process of the glue drying.

2) You can buy NEW L-Pads from Parts Express, which would be far better than trying to recondition the old ones, which may be burnt, if they are sticky.

3) Also check your Passive Radiators to make sure they are good

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2015, 01:40 pm »
Hey Dawg,

Glad to see you over here at AC!  It's a nice place to hang out too.  Just wish that Brian were still here to help you out.  He'd have had all the parts that you needed.  But, John is a great guy, and won't steer you wrong!

Like you, I have a couple of VMPS woofers, where the phase plug popped off.  To me, it looks like Brian originally used hot melt glue, to adhere the plugs.  Good, but I think it dries out over time, and it's not the strongest adhesive either.  Maybe try a multipurpose epoxy.  Just be careful not to use too much, and get it into the voice-coil.  Shims are your best friend! 

As John stated, Parts Express is a good source for L-Pads; Madisound too:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/

A 15 watt for the tweeter, and a 50 watt for the mids, should be fine.

As to the age of your speakers, Stereophile reviewed the earlier SuperTower IIa/R, in 1986.  So, since your cabinets have the different driver layout, and rounded cabinet corners, those were probably introduced mid 90s.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/486vmps/index.html

This might help some too:

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/aboutVMPS.htm

Plus, the same woofers, even the Goldwoods, in a stand alone Larger sub:

Finally, the Masters, Brian and James!

Good Luck!

Stimpy

Oh yea, the speakers look great.  Nice 'scroe'.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2015, 07:15 pm by Stimpy »

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2015, 04:12 pm »
You're speakers are identical to mine and I bought mine in 1993. These appear to be one of the more uncommon models of VMPS speakers, as I have only seen a few other pairs.

bigdawg2053

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2015, 02:04 am »
Thanks for the info JC. The PR's look good. But somone has pulled all the mortite off. Do you know how much should be replaced?

Stimpy, buddy you are everywhere! Thanks for looking out for me and everyone else you help. It's very much appreciated. Sorry I missed that T120FG. I was out of town and out of touch..

Rsorak, nice to hear from other owners of this tower design. I have not found any pics or specs on this version. Whats up with that? Does anyone have specs or publised info on this tower version?

In working on these speakers, I can tell they are special. From reading through the forum I can tell Brian was special as well.
Thanks to everyone for helping me to keep these speakers putting out great music.  I'll update as things come together.         

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2015, 03:29 pm »