SACD ripping using a PS3

mr_wicked

SACD ripping using a PS3
« on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm »
Guys, first post here and I was asked by Ted to inform you guys about the latest bleeding edge development on SACD ripping through a PS3. Who am I? I'm the lead developer on "SACD-Ripper" who is making this possible.

Ted is actually helping me test the alpha version, to iron out the bugs.. one thing is for sure direct SACD ripping and reading IS possible. Really! If you don't believe me, ask Ted he has prove on his hard-disk! :-)

How does this work? What's most important of all is that the PS3 doesn't have any hardware for DSD to PCM conversion. This means the PS3 operating system is able to read SACDs directly and do DSD to PCM conversion internally in software. When I found out about this I knew I was going to put all effort in getting this information out in the open.

And it really has been a rollercoaster ride and without the hacking and the release of the PS3 keys this would not have been possible. It all came together at the right time, but it required alot of reverse engineering, learning the internals of the PS3 and last but not least writing code to see code!!: (http://code.google.com/p/ida-spu/) Yes, too much time of my life has gone into this, but I don't regret any of it..

Although still in alpha successful dumps are being made as we speak. But due to legal reasons I will not spread binary installation files and I'll leave that up to others. The user interface is simple but it will allow you to dump DSDIFF, DSF, ISO in both multi and stereo channels and it also creates the necessary ID3 tags so your track/disc information is not lost. But remember the software is still in ALPHA, but it's way more than just a proof of concept... let the testing begin!

Installation information:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme

Project page:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:09 am »
Mr Wicked, you are da man!   8)

And yes, I am happy to be able to say that I am part of the test team to iron out bugs and see this SACD-ripping to its full release!   :thumb:

NOTE:  Like DVD-Audio ripping, this process is simply intended to allow for a personal music collection to make its way to a computer hard disk for two basic reasons: backup and computer-to-DAC playback.  This process is not intended to allow for pirating or selling of music you own, or of gathering music you don't already own!!  That's illegal!   :nono:

Mr Wicked's programs are two-fold.
1) SACD ripper is a hacked-PS3 based program that allows for ISO images and individual DIFF file extraction.  The DIFF files can be stereo or multichannel (if available, of course) and can be played back via a few programs that convert them to PCM on-the-fly (Foobar, Audiogate, Pure Music, etc) or more likely used for one-time conversion to 24 bit HIREZ PCM files for use with your DAC.  The ISO images can be stored for later burning (IMGBurn, etc) using DVD-R's (not all SACD players will play SACD-R's.  I will add a link to those players confirmed to work.  My Oppo 83SE works fine.) or can be used to also extract DIFF files using software in point number 2 below.
2) Windows-based command-line (currently) program that will extract DIFF files from the above ripped ISO image.  This software is very alpha, but I tried it today and succeeded.   :thumb:

Here is a prelim list of SACD-R capable SACD players:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6085770-post1.html

Freeware like Korg's Audiogate will allow for DIFF to PCM conversion.  I am personally converting to 24/352.8k (aka DXD) and playing back via my Antelope Gold DAC.  Over the next few weeks I am going to do some significant a/b'ing to make sure these very large 24/352k files are worth it, or are 24/176.4k files sonically their equivalent.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
Also, for those of you who want to try the ripping, you need an SACD-capable PS3 (i.e not a modern one) and one who's firmware has NOT been updated to 3.6 (no current way to drop back).  Here is a list:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/ps3hardware.html
http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566

HumanMedia

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2011, 02:03 pm »
Anyone know how to roll back the OS from 3.56 to 3.55?

mr_wicked

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:32 pm »
No need to try, if there are websites say they can they are lying. The only way to downgrade would be solder a device to the motherboard, this is not something I would advise anyone.

regnaD kciN

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2011, 09:02 am »
This is a great tool; unfortunately, I can only wish it had come along a couple of years ago, as the number of PS3s (CECHA-, CECHB-, CECHC-, or CECHE- models with firmware of 3.55 or earlier) needed for this program are few and getting fewer. 

It has been well-noted on gamer forums that Sony did not build their early PS3s very well, and many of them are starting to die from excessive overheating. 

I bought a CECHA model on eBay earlier this month, and got only about 1/4 of the way through my SACD collection before the unit got the dreaded "yellow light of death" (YLOD), and became totally unusable. 

Worse, since there's a homebrew method for temporarily (as in, a couple of weeks at most -- sort of like sawdust in a leaky engine) reviving such a PS3 with a heat gun or hair dryer, I've read that the vast majority of early-model PS3s currently on eBay are YLOD units that have been "fixed" in this manner and are immediately put up for sale on the Bay -- with a "no return" policy, of course -- by unscrupulous gamers to raise money so they can buy a new model PS3, which is much better built but, of course, useless for SACD ripping.  Thus, trying to locate a suitable PS3, if you don't have one already, is probably much worse than a crapshoot, with the odds that, if you purchase such a unit, it may only last a few days or weeks before expiring again; and, even if you are the original owner of such a unit, it is probably reaching the end of its usable life.

It would be the ultimate irony if this long-awaited ripping tool arrived just as the hardware needed to run it began to disappear.

sandbagger

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm »
Ok sometimes I am not the absolute brightest but I am having a few problems following the directions plus it has been a very long time since I have done any coding and very little at that so I found a few places to download the .pkg file already done.

The problem I have is it says the disk is not supported or not a SACD?   now I can go into the audio menu and play the sacd, either multi,2ch, or stereo but the ripper does not seem to recognize the disk.  I installed the keys that are linked to in your google code page.   I have tried about 5 or so disks and the same thing.  I found another set of keys that had a few more files, is there any way to update the keys?

I could use some help here

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm »
I'm going to write a primer, with screenshots, but for now....

The process is roughly this:
1)   Find and download the OtherOs 3.55 firmware.  No compiling needed, just rename to PS3UPDAT.PUP and put on USB drive under PS3/UPDATE (PS3 folder, subfolder UPDATE, which you created on USB drive)
2)   Find the PS3 keys and put them on the USB drive, no folder.  There are like 100 entries.
3)   Find sacd-ripper.pkg v 0.21 and put on USB drive, no folder.
4)   Obtain correct PS3 and attach USB drive.
5)   Follow instructions starting on line 30 here to install custom firmware   http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme
6)   Once done, then go to games section of PS3 and scroll up to “install pkg file” and click on sacd-ripper (which should be on your attached usb drive)
7)   SACD-ripper will ask for keys, just say yes, and keys will be installed (its nothing more than that)

I think that’s the crux of it….

Scarletbook.exe is the Windows tool that allows the decoding/decompressing of the ISO file to DIFF , etc...which is also available via the PS3, but many are concerned for their spinning PS3 drive longevity and prefer to do only the ISO rip, with everything else done on a Windows platform.

Brandon B

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:24 am »
Worse, since there's a homebrew method for temporarily (as in, a couple of weeks at most -- sort of like sawdust in a leaky engine) reviving such a PS3 with a heat gun or hair dryer, I've read that the vast majority of early-model PS3s currently on eBay are YLOD units that have been "fixed" in this manner and are immediately put up for sale on the Bay -- with a "no return" policy, of course -- by unscrupulous gamers to raise money so they can buy a new model PS3, which is much better built but, of course, useless for SACD ripping. 

Not sure why the gamers are unscrupulous, unless they are advertising the units as in flawless condition or somesuch.  Also, the "reflow" technique is not a "couple of weeks at most" fix.  It is hit or miss, and I would imagine depends on the skill of the person who does it. 

My launch PS3 continues to work just fine, as do at least 4 other 1st or 2ng gen machines some of my PS3 owning friends have.  I tend to think the reports of them all being doomed are  bit overblown, or depend on whether the machines see 8 hours of use a day, and the cooling environment they are subject to.  Between my music, blu-ray and DVD use and my kid's gaming, mine probably sees 20 hours of use every week, but I clean the dust out of it every 4-6 months, and it has plenty of air space around it on all sides.

Unfortunately for me, because it gets used pretty extensively for gaming, my firmware was updated before I found out about this, so I am limited to ripping my SACDs to PCM with the monoprice box.

jmanalo

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2011, 07:35 am »
Finally got the PS3 with 3.3 firmware version. I don't want to start downloading anything yet til I'm sure I'll not screw this up because it took me forever to find this PS3. Is the instructions Dummy proof? what is the most important thing to avoid other than downloading 3.7 firmware?
I know nothing about the code and computer stuff, if in case  I screw up installing some of the required install, can I just delete/correct whatever the mistake is?
thanks,

Joe

jmanalo

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2011, 04:30 am »
 Anyone know how to roll back the OS from 3.56 to 3.55?
[/quote]

I don't from what part of the country you are, but here in  San Jose someone advertise it at craigslist for $120. I don't know if the guy can deliver.

here is the link:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/vgm/2575660002.html

PS3 Mod Downgrade Service Now Available. {3.70 -> 3.55} - $120 (san jose downtown)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downgrade your PS3 system version 3.56 - 3.70 to one that can be modified.

Involves a complex soldering job, and due to high demand this will be available to a limited number of customers. The cost is $120, with a 24 hour turnaround.

Please schedule an appointment online at www.wiimodpro.com. I am currently in San Jose, CA. Phone number is (408) 256-2277 - leave a VM if I don't answer.

HumanMedia

jmanalo

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:31 am »
Here is the YOU TUBE link on how to install firmware 3.55 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enAb-klNGc8

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:36 am »
Installing custom 3.55 is not at an issue for SACD ripper.  You simply rename it and put in on a USB thumb drive.  The youtube video is about other things other than PS3 SACD ripping...and does not address the poster's dilemma of rolling back (impossible without a soldering iron) from anything greater than 3.55

jmanalo

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2011, 11:47 pm »
For those who have a hard time finding PS3 with older firmware, there is (3.41) one on Ebay for $349. No I'm not related to the seller. Just want to help who are frustrated finding the older firmware. I experienced it.

Jerrin

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:18 pm »
I have an original PS3 (in very good condition) that has not been updated in some time.  I believe I am on 3.2 right now, but I need to confirm that tonight.  It saw moderate use in the past (gaming/music/movies), but since I bought my OPPO, I don't really use it at all anymore.

Is anyone currently looking for one of these?

pepar

• pepar's place
« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2011, 05:20 pm »
I have an original PS3 (in very good condition) that has not been updated in some time.  I believe I am on 3.2 right now, but I need to confirm that tonight.  It saw moderate use in the past (gaming/music/movies), but since I bought my OPPO, I don't really use it at all anymore.

Is anyone currently looking for one of these?
There is an additional requirement and that is that it is a model that had SACD compatibility "out of the box."  There is a chart linked up the thread, but basically for NTSC it must be CECHAxx, CECHBxx or CECHExx.  For PAL systems, it needs to be CECHCxx.

Jeff
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 04:41 pm by pepar »

pepar

• pepar's place
« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2011, 05:26 pm »
For those who have a hard time finding PS3 with older firmware, there is (3.41) one on Ebay for $349. No I'm not related to the seller. Just want to help who are frustrated finding the older firmware. I experienced it.
I purchased a "proper" PS3 on ebay for around $200.  As these proper units seem to be rare, and when it craps out it's done, I identified a second PS3 on ebay and have that one in transit.  Plus, I am watching yet another one on ebay.  Well, I don't need three, so if anyone is interested, I could post/PM the link.  $200 seems to be a doable price and I cut off my "screening" of ebay auctions above that.

Jeff

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2011, 10:51 pm »
In another thread (the HDMI de-embedder one) I offered up as to why I have not responded to that SACD solution as often as i used to.  I stated:

I have been 100% dedicated to the Mr Wicked project (I am a beta tester) of doing true SACD DSDIFF and ISO ripping.  It uses the PS3 as per my other threads about it.  I have completed version 1.2 of a word doc or pdf that walks you through "SACD ripping For Dummies".  i'll send it to anyone who needs it.  PM me your email addy.

Well, several folks have PM'd me, and half of them forget to include any email address (cuz it is not something we do everyday in PM's most likely).  But please, if you send me a PM, please include your email address so i can send the pdf. 

It is a work in progress on many levels, not the least of which is that folks like Mr Wicked have improved the work flow of ripping and extracting, etc.  Also, although stated in the guide, this is STRICTLY for archiving and converting your own personal SACD catalog for use with both PCM (needs conversion, explained in guide) DACs and native DSD DACs (one of which I am evaluating currently, the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC preamp version).  Please do not sell and pirate SACD ISO's, etc.

The guide has links to software and also refers to "attached files" which are zipped files of necessary free ingredients (ripper pkg, sacd-extract bat files, etc) of files difficult to find on your own.  Those attached files can be gotten from me, but only once you get passed square one and two (get PS3, update it, etc).

I'll write up a thread about the Mytek DAC soon.

jacobacci

« Reply #19 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm »
Hi Ted,
For some reason I am unable to send you a PM. I am interested in the PDF description of the ripping process.
My Email is in my profile
Thanks and regards
Rudi