Spatial Audio M3 Review

OzarkTom

Re: Spatial Audio M3 Review
« Reply #60 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:36 am »
It is good to see that it does not take 6-12 months to get a pair of these. :thumb:

erniek

« Reply #61 on: 9 Feb 2016, 08:01 pm »
First of all great series of posts and pleasantly civil.

I totally get "IT" but sadly can't explain it either. What came to mind is how I could walk into Klaus's Odyssey room at any show and get "IT". I've owned pieces of his gear and while they don't measure the absolute best and they can side by side be bettered by numerous others, taken as a whole his systems are off the hook enjoyable. There is no urge to pick them apart in an audiophile sport sort of way, though you probably could. Anyone who has heard this knows of what I speak. Meticulous attention to setup and synergy yes, but there is some other mystery at play there.

We both have Vinnie Rossie's LIO and the same can be said for its component parts. Side by side are there better DACs, preamps, power amps, etc? Absolutely yes, but taken as a whole it comes across as completely and thoroughly enjoyable. I don't find myself yearning for more.

I owned some of Clayton's first EP CS2's. Out of the box they were simply fun. They were right next to a beautiful pair of beloved Merlins, all buttoned down, and ultra refined, but ultimately I listened to the CS2's more. It wasn't until I started tweaking them to the 9's that I went down that slippery slope of critical audiophiledom and the fun quickly vanished.

I'm glad to hear the Spatials somehow get you there too and knowing Clayton's work as I do it's no surprise.

All that said, I'm sorry I'm not of much help to 'splain it but I'm sort of in my happy place too ;-)

erniek

« Reply #62 on: 9 Feb 2016, 08:04 pm »
Tom, I really like your comment here regarding Odyssey audio. (some other mystery at play here). I have purchased 2 products from Klaus and I find it hard to even look at other amps anymore. I do not see myself buying anything but an Odyssey amp again.

erniek

« Reply #63 on: 9 Feb 2016, 08:05 pm »
Now I am hoping there will be good synergy between the Odyssey and Spatial products.

lovehertz

« Reply #64 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:00 am »
jtwrace,

I am considering auditioning the M3 and was anxiously awaiting some comments from you.  I hope your transition from excitement to silence does not imply dissatisfaction with their performance.  Any comment on their early character/synergy in your system?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #65 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:49 am »
As an aside, the M1 and M2 are no longer listed on the Spatial Audio website.

genjamon

« Reply #66 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:54 am »
jtwrace,

I am considering auditioning the M3 and was anxiously awaiting some comments from you.  I hope your transition from excitement to silence does not imply dissatisfaction with their performance.  Any comment on their early character/synergy in your system?

Jason's an objectivist, so don't expect much more than comments whether they measure up to their published specs.

mick wolfe

« Reply #67 on: 15 Feb 2016, 03:44 am »
As an aside, the M1 and M2 are no longer listed on the Spatial Audio website.

Yeah, looks like he's gone totally direct sales in the U.S. leaving the M1 and M2 in no man's land.  Saw this coming several months ago. Still enjoying my M2 Turbo's though. No regrets here despite the fact new customers will be getting essentially the same speaker for a grand less.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:44 pm »
jtwrace,

Hello-

I've been listening to them quite a bit.  I'm in the process of selling my house and things are moving much quicker so my audio will be coming apart very soon.  However, I've had a lot of time listening to the M3 Turbo S speakers.  In a nut shell, they're amazing!  I can't recommend them highly enough regardless of cost.  I can give more input when time allows but they're worth every dime they cost. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:45 pm »
Jason's an objectivist, so don't expect much more than comments whether they measure up to their published specs.
That is true; I am.  Good thing Clayton Shaw uses science to develop his speakers unlike so many others.   :wink:

md92468

« Reply #70 on: 15 Feb 2016, 03:39 pm »
Hello-

I've been listening to them quite a bit.  I'm in the process of selling my house and things are moving much quicker so my audio will be coming apart very soon.  However, I've had a lot of time listening to the M3 Turbo S speakers.  In a nut shell, they're amazing!  I can't recommend them highly enough regardless of cost.  I can give more input when time allows but they're worth every dime they cost.

Glad you're enjoying them...I'm loving my M4s more every day...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #71 on: 15 Feb 2016, 03:48 pm »
Just curious from you guys that own the M3 (or M4), what would you say are their greatest attribute?

schw06

« Reply #72 on: 15 Feb 2016, 04:31 pm »
Just curious from you guys that own the M3 (or M4), what would you say are their greatest attribute?
Tomy2Tone,
   I wouldn't be surprised if you get lots of different responses. Normally speakers at this price point are fatally flawed with poor cabinets/drivers/crossovers/designs/engineering etc...to meet the price point. In my opinion you will have to reset your expectations of what's possible for $2600. I whittled my list down to 8 things in my mini synopsis...Not sure I can get the list down to 1.
David

rebbi

« Reply #73 on: 15 Feb 2016, 11:17 pm »

I'll be posting a complete review of the M4 tonight or tomorrow on my audio blog, but for now I'd say that relaxed, uncompressed dynamics, rich, realistic tone and holographic imaging are stunningly good.   :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #74 on: 15 Feb 2016, 11:25 pm »
I'll be posting a complete review of the M4 tonight or tomorrow on my audio blog, but for now I'd say that relaxed, uncompressed dynamics, rich, realistic tone and holographic imaging are stunningly good.   :thumb:
Would you say that the M4 has, more or less, on a scale of 10, diffuse or  pin point  imaging?

md92468

« Reply #75 on: 15 Feb 2016, 11:26 pm »

I'd say their ease in portraying dynamics and the "you are there"-ness of the musical performance they convey, which is downright spooky on good live recordings.  The cohesiveness of the soundstage is also the best I've heard in a speaker anywhere near this price...when they're dialed in you would swear music is coming from one giant source in the middle...

rebbi

« Reply #76 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:05 am »
Would you say that the M4 has, more or less, on a scale of 10, diffuse or  pin point  imaging?

Imaging is very precise, but within the context of (if the recording warrants it) a large, enveloping sound stage. Best of all worlds, IMHO.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:10 am »
This is sounding incredible while playing on my M3 Turbo S.

hil45

« Reply #78 on: 20 Feb 2016, 08:19 pm »
How do these Spatials fare with the genres of electronica, reggae (dub), house & techno?   

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2016, 05:01 pm by hil45 »

rockd31

« Reply #79 on: 22 Feb 2016, 12:48 am »
I've had a pair of M3 Turbos for about a month, although I'm still not sure exactly what I have.  It is a different sound than what I've experienced.  The clarity and definition are astounding.  So I'm adapting to them.  Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed.  However, I'm hearing details in the music.  A certain dryness to cymbals and tambourine, and I'm unsure if it's due to the amps, the recording or ... what?   I'm open to any recommendations re music with cymbals, tambourine, snare drum, etc. to further test what the issue may be.   I'm also thinking of trying tube amplification just to see how sweet that might sound.  Thanks.