BCD-1 drive....

spinner

BCD-1 drive....
« on: 19 Jul 2017, 04:57 pm »
 For those of us that have the great BCD1 but with that let down from Phillips regarding repair parts.....can the laser be replaced with some other generic unit should  it burn out. I read that's the usual thing that fails with the drive....thank you folks :scratch: :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: BCD-1 drive....
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:12 pm »
Seems there's no  knowledge of this....My  opinion, just get the new player BCD3 and buy a spare drive or two in advance while  "Stream Unlimited" is still producing the drive for the BCD3.....It which seems to be a better built unit than  the  Philips anyway ( actually is made partly of metal if that means anything ) and it takes Sanyo or Sony lasers :thumb:..... go for it , I am.... :lol:

spinner

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:54 pm »
Such a great player BCD1...sad to see  it scrapped just because of a poor supplier.....  :duh:.....now to raise another 3000 bucks....but I know the new  BCD3 will be a fine device...... :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2017, 08:33 pm »
My  opinion, just get the new player BCD3 and buy a spare drive or two in advance while  "Stream Unlimited" is still producing the drive for the BCD3.....It which seems to be a better built unit than  the  Philips anyway ( actually is made partly of metal if that means anything ) and it takes Sanyo or Sony lasers :thumb:..... go for it , I am.... :lol:

For anyone into disc playback who plans to stay that way for a long time that is the proper approach to keep I'm sure a great CD player running for a long time.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2017, 09:55 pm »
When my BCD-1 does break down, I shall buy a new player.
Until then, I shall continue to spend much more time enjoying music/CDs than OCD-ing about getting spare drives.

It's a Bryston..... :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:21 am »
When my BCD-1 does break down, I shall buy a new player.
Until then, I shall continue to spend much more time enjoying music/CDs than OCD-ing about getting spare drives.

It's a Bryston..... :thumb: Yes, but even a Bryston will  breaks down when there are no parts to fix it :(

rmurray

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2017, 05:00 am »
 It's shame but  I'm sooooo very happy that Bryston has developed an even greater player....so we must leave the past behind and keep enjoying the music.....cheers . :banana piano: :beer: :dance:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2017, 10:01 am »
Yes, but even a Bryston will  breaks down when there are no parts to fix it :(

Your logic is just so impeccable. Having no spare parts will cause gear to break down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :duh: :duh:

rmurray

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2017, 01:03 pm »
Seems there's no  knowledge of this....My  opinion, just get the new player BCD3 and buy a spare drive or two in advance while  "Stream Unlimited" is still producing the drive for the BCD3.....It which seems to be a better built unit than  the  Philips anyway ( actually is made partly of metal if that means anything ) and it takes Sanyo or Sony lasers :thumb:..... go for it , I am.... :lol:
  Yes , good plan for long term use.....It'd worth the 500 bucks for a spare if you really like the player.....wish I had gotten the  Philips drive when they were available....won't make that mistake with the new player.... :thumb:   happy spinning Spinner :lol:

AndrewA

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2017, 06:48 pm »
On another related thread, James said that if your BCD-1 does break down and they can't fix it, they'll "work something out" towards getting a new BCD-3.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2017, 06:50 pm »
On another related thread, James said that if your BCD-1 does break down and they can't fix it, they'll "work something out" towards getting a new BCD-3.

Classic Bryston service...they also are known to service/repair amps that are well past their warranty periods, including replacing parts with updated ones.   :thumb: