VR-35

mdconnelly

Re: VR-35
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:06 pm »
i used the stuffing and thought it caused a nasality up into the lower mids. i want to try the sumiko master placement technique in the next couple of months.

That should prove to be a great approach with these speakers since they start with placement against the rear wall and move out from there.   But I suspect it will take either someone well experienced in the technique or a whole lot of attempts to master it.

I found a description of it in this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?71762-Sumiko-setup

and, of course, here on AC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64321.0
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2012, 06:20 pm by mdconnelly »

zugisland

« Reply #81 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:04 pm »
Haven't seen any new posts in awhile so now that my Vr35,s are broken in, thought I would share some thoughts .
1) they are far more musical now after 6 months then I thought possible after first hearing them setup in my home.
2) I have heard the vivid b1 ,s in my home with the same setup and even though the vivid's were a tad richer with also a tad more depth they were equal in musicality. Not bad considering the 15k 8k price difference.
3) just also heard at dealer the new Marten Djangos which I also thought were excellant and very beautiful speakers. They weren't broken in yet but were rich in detail would I trade my Vs35 for them yes. But I don't think I wouldnthrow any more money in then pot.
In summation I have closely listened to 2 very fine speakers which I would say get to the finish line a nose ahead of the 35's but when Albert says he has an 8k speaker to compete with those twice the price I think that is an accurate statement. So if you have the extra coin to spare I think the vivid or martens would be a great buy but if you want to save 7k then the Vr35 for the price rock and willncertainly give you great pleasure musically and knowing you saved a big chunk.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #82 on: 3 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
Hey zugisland...pretty compelling testimony.

zugisland

« Reply #83 on: 3 Apr 2012, 07:46 pm »
So any new owners lately,if so I'd love your input also vic

mdconnelly

« Reply #84 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:13 pm »
I bought mine 4+ months ago and I feel that only in the last month have they completely broken in.  And they sound wonderful!  My earlier concerns were with respect to a somewhat dominant bass... not fat and flabby, but just tipping the balance a bit.  Well, those concerns have disappeared with final breakin and some speaker-placement tweaking.  My VR-35s are sounding extremely well balanced, both deep and extended, with a very impressive 3D sound stage.  But to be honest, what I like most is just how musically engaging they are!  With well recorded music - digital or analog, it is just so easy to get lost in the music.  There have been numerous time where I sat down with my critical listening hat on only to discard it for the love of the music. 

For the price, these really are exceptional sounding speakers.  Yes, a big part of that cost savings is the lack of truly, furniture-grade finished speakers.  But personally, I'd rather be listening to these with the difference invested in upgraded components, more music, or simply a nice stockpile of excellent wine and/or scotch.   Maybe I'll revisit that decision when I win the lottery, but in the meantime, I am a very happy audiophool.

JackD201

« Reply #85 on: 4 Apr 2012, 05:43 pm »
I wish I had more time to play around with different components with the VR-35s. Alas, they were delivered to their owner straight away. They did sound wonderful with the owner's CJ gear. Different in so many ways from the rest of the VR line, yet the sound is unmistakably VSA.

Upon closer inspection the VR-35 and the VR-9s share some elements such as the rear firing low bass support driver and the trapezoidal front section. As such there are very, very similar characteristics when it comes to the image spread and the way the bass is propagated so evenly throughout a room.

zugisland

« Reply #86 on: 4 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm »
thanks for the update on yours and i agree i spent my savings on the Bryston 7bsst2 monos..and i think it is a great combo!

mdconnelly

« Reply #87 on: 4 Apr 2012, 08:42 pm »
I should also point out that a big benefit for me was the ability to keep these relatively close to the wall.  I've got them about 12" away from the wall and that seems to work well.  (the speakers and listening seat form an 8.5' equilateral triangle).    I tried them within a few inches of the wall but, to my ears and in my room, found that it really didn't work.

rlw3

« Reply #88 on: 5 Apr 2012, 04:00 pm »
 the vr 35s tweeter is 38 inches off the ground. my chair places my ears 4 inches higher. the 35s and i assume the 33s benefit from being tilted back a little. please see my post from feb 15 on the technique i was taught. the diffences helps make the mids and highs stronger and more able to keep up with the excellent, strong bass

zugisland

« Reply #89 on: 5 Apr 2012, 04:49 pm »
rlw dont see a post from feb 15

Teyry

« Reply #90 on: 28 Apr 2014, 10:20 am »
Sonically the fusion was good for 2channel but I had issues with the HTML bypass,so traded it for new peach tree audio grand pre tubed dad pre amp very impressive in a synch from my computer using river paired with bryston 7bsst and vr35

I know this is an old post but I wanted to reply on the Jolida Fusions HTBP. I recently purchased a Jolida Fusion Preamp and also had an issue with its HTBP input but when nothing was connected to it, it sounded wonderful. My solution was to add a Goldpoint SW2X-I, 2 into 1 passive XLR switcher between the two preamps and the main amplifier. It was an excellent solution and solved the HTBP problem. The total cost of the Jolida Fusion purchased from an authorized dealer plus the Goldpoint XLR switcher was still less than $1,400. I have absolutely no buzz, no hum and a totally silent background.

I can hear no sonic degradation with the Goldpoint in the signal path. I believe this would be an excellent option for adding any tube preamp without a HTBP or into an existing home theater system. It would also work if your tube preamp has a unity gain bypass. Instead of using the unity gain bypass on the preamp you could just use a passive switcher and there should be no ground loop issues.

The Goldpoint can also be used to silently switch back and forth between preamps.

I think the Jolida Fusion is an excellent sounding preamp. I recently owned a $4k+ preamp and I much prefer the Jolida Fusion. I have owned many preamps and surround processors over the last 25 years and this one really makes me smile,,, well atleast after the first week when the HTBP issue was solved.

I must note that I have not compared the Jolida Fusion preamp in my home to the likes of an Audio Research LS27, an Aesthetix Calypso, Rogue Audio Athena or a Cary SLP-05 which were on my wish list and out of my price point at this time, but as long as the Jolida Fusion is reliable I won't be changing it out for anything else. 

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #91 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:00 am »
Hello all,

Updating an old thread here, but I would like to keep it going for all of us VR-35 owners and those interested in them.  I just wanted you to be aware that I have determined some of the best sound I've ever had in my listening room came from the Rogue M-180s with a Slagle AVC controlling the volume. The Rogue's are a fantastic match for the VRs with unrestricted dynamics, incredible bass and a wonderful organic sound. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make them permanent residents.  Damn!  :cry:

To soften the blow, I recently added another amp: The highly regarded Pass XA30.5. I wasn't sure if it would pass muster from a power standpoint and it is true, it won't compete with the M-180s in this regard, but in my room and at the volume levels I listen, it rarely leaves class A and has plenty of volume. Dynamics are a bit less dramatic and bass not quite as authoritative, especially with the passive AVC, but the purity of this combo is hard to ignore, so recently I connected the AVC temporarily as the VC for my  little Audiotropic Moebius (yes, the one I keep threatening to sell and then never do  :oops:) and, well, WOW! David Slagle's autoformers and Eric Kingsbury's simple tube preamp circuit drives the Pass and 35s really well.  I am now considering my next move, it may include adding some Bent Tap modules to the preamp. Not sure yet.  Bottom line, this combo works very well and I am digging it.  I would love to have more power as I truly believe the 35s benefit from it, and I miss the big tube sound, but I also love the sound of this fantastic "little" XA30.5. 

Hope you are all well,
Cheers!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #92 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:24 pm »
Good post gbeard.  I always enjoy reading well written posts from fellow addicts.  The 35s are a special speaker...heck, all of Albert's are special!

mca

« Reply #93 on: 27 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm »
I've had my VR-35s up and running for about a month now. I got a great deal on a pair of Butler Monads and also jut added a Modwright Oppo BDP-105D. The speakers and the Oppo are still breaking in, but the combo is sounding fantastic and should keep getting better with more play time.

Right now I am just running the Oppo direct into the Butlers. I know the sound will get even better once I add a preamp. This will be my first preamp purchase ever (I have always used integrated amps) and I have no idea where to start.  Tubes? Solid state? Being an audio geek can be awfully rough sometimes  :D

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #94 on: 25 Oct 2014, 03:16 pm »
Well, in light of previous posts I have made concerning set up, I am a bit embarrassed to admit that my VR-35s sound better on the long wall of my room.

I was hearing some things that I knew could be improved and started wondering about my room. After a short note to Albert, he asked me about the wall I had behind, with a concern about it storing energy. It is a 3/4 height wall, not insulated and resonates with a knuckle rap. Dang! :nono:

I moved the speakers to the long wall (that is insulated and full height). I am still tweaking their placement and the seated position is not as perfect as before, but immediately upon moving the speakers, I heard a much more detailed and energetic speaker with a stage as wide as the outdoors and improved depth as well--the improvement is NOT subtle.  And now I know that the XA30.5 offers all the power I need too.

Bottom line: Sometimes you have to live with a component for a long time--not just to hear its positive qualities--but to understand when it not performing its best. I thought I knew my room, but  speakers like the VR-35s are unconventional and sometimes that requires thinking a completely different way. I've enjoyed the VR-35s from the day they landed, but now, its even better.  :thumb:

Cheers,
gb

mdconnelly

« Reply #95 on: 26 Oct 2014, 03:02 pm »
When I first got my VR-35s I had them on a long 24' wall which worked extremely well.  What impressed me the most was the wide and deep soundstage that expanded well beyond speaker boundaries and out into the room.   They worked best from 8"-12" out from the wall.

Since then I've had to move them to another room where the only setup possible was on a short wall 12' wide.   This proved a bit challenging.   Soundstage was not nearly as big and bass was a bit bloated.  I kept thinking I need to pull them further from teh wall which didn't work.   Surprisingly, the thing that worked best was to put the speaker right up against the wall as close as I could get them given the cable terminations... maybe 3" from the wall.   This had the surprising effect of really tightening up the bass.   The soundstage is good but I must admit that I miss the huge soundfield I was getting when I had them on a long wall in the prior room where each speaker was 6'+ from the corners. 

But anyway you cut it, when these speakers are setup correctly, they are exceptional.   It's just that they're far from conventional so it takes some rethinking of everything we thought we knew about speaker setup.  But definitely worth the effort.  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #96 on: 2 Aug 2015, 01:46 pm »
I realize that this post is reviving an old thread, but I've just recently joined the VSA tribe with a pair of VR-35s in the house. I purchased them from an AC member and installed them just this last week. They are 10.5' feet apart (from the speaker centers of the baffle) and currently are pushed to approximately 2.75" inches from the front wall... completely out of the living space. It will take some time to tune them perfectly to the room, but first impressions are remarkable! No speakers inside the living space! By the way, at the moment I have turned off my sub-woofer. More later...

Von Schweikert Audio - VR-35 Speakers

Von Schweikert Audio - VR-35 Speakers

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #97 on: 2 Aug 2015, 02:29 pm »
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!  What a beautiful room!!  Looking forward to seeing you post your listening impressions and learning about the components you've mated with your new VR35's.  Best,  Jack

Scott F.

« Reply #98 on: 2 Aug 2015, 08:02 pm »
Nice Din  :thumb:

mdconnelly

« Reply #99 on: 2 Aug 2015, 08:22 pm »
Beautiful setup and unique to what the VR-35s are designed for.   That's not something you could accomplish with very many other speakers.