New Apollo's In The House till October

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
New Apollo's In The House till October
« on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:25 am »
Well this weekend I accompanied mresseguie to the speaker hobbit is the magical woods.  Or as some call it Lou Hinkley in Ferndale WA.

I wont bore you with the 4 a.m. departure time and breakfast at a Dinneys details.

We did get to see Nico and Lou.

So the speakers were loaded up and we drove south to Bothell WA ( Seattle suburb) and made a splash at the Puget Sound Audio Group.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141682.0

With a Major unveil we proceeded to put about 10 hours on the new Apollo's.

Before I prattle on let me say that Lou had run the speakers 24/7 for a few weeks as they will eventually reside in Taiwan.

I think it would easy to say the crowd was very well pleased.

The 10 Daedalus Woofer is the real improvement.  One member of the group has a pair of Ulysses and he was impressed.

We ran through a wide range of music including a tract that I am unfamiliar with.  At one point there is a almost a surround feel.  We had played the track with Greg's (the Host's) GR Super V's and both setup's reproduce the effect.

As a owner of Daedalus Pan's I am aware of the Daedalus Sound and this new speaker hits it out of the ball park.

I have been forced to put my Pan's in the spare room so I can Baby Sit or continue the break in before they arrive at their new home.

I will make revisit this posting and add my comments.  Right now I will kick back with a beverage and do some listening as I have the house to myself for a while.

If you are in the Oregon I-5 area hit me up.

Wonderful job Lou and thank you mressiguie,

Alan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New Apollo's In The House till October
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2017, 01:57 am »
Now, Alan, don't you think Lou is a bit tall to think of him as a hobbit?

Don't forget that we sat in the showroom, hooked up the Denafrips Venus DAC and played a few songs on Lou's Apollos. I found that very satisfying. Even though Lou detected a small difference (with the modded Oppo the winner), I was impressed that the Venus held its own against the Modwright.

The Apollos are so revealing that small changes upstream really can be easily detected. Every time we switched out a DAC at the G2G, there was an appreciable difference in the music - even the differences between the 2 MP-D2 DACs. Wow! It was educational to hear the difference between your KWA-150SE amp and the Butler amp. The Modwright was king that's for sure.

At the G2G while the music was playing quite loudly, the woofer was barely moving yet it sounded wonderful. I don't know what voodoo magic Lou sprinkled on my speakers, but I'm mighty pleased with them.

You've got them bolted to the floorboards, right? If you get tired of babysitting them, I suppose I could make a special trip back to take them away. Greg seemed very interested in looking after them.  :wink:

Enjoy!

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:14 am »
My hat's off to Michael and Alan for bringing the Daedalus Apollo's to Greg's for all of us lucky enough to attend.  Just an incredible nerd party to the max!!  Can't wait for the next one!

The DENAFRIPS Venus Dac was pretty good but I think it will just "turn on" SQ wise after some more time.  I bought a Metrum Hex and it required a couple of hundred hours to get going again as it had been shelved for some time before I aqcuired it.

I like Lou's speakers and now better understand his sonic goals, my first exposure was to a pair of DA 1.1 (that have every possible upgrade) belonging to another member of AC and having heard the new Apollo's I get it.

My PMC's are from a speaker mfr that has deep experience in studio mastering/monitoring so I would love to have a shootout between these two monkey coffins.  Let's top that off with a shootout with the Pass X350.5 and the Modwright and then we need to compare the A2 and the SP-14.  Then there's....

Thanks again gents it was just too much fun!

aldcoll

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:32 am »
Challenge accepted.
So when will you pack up and be down :thumb:

Next time the Modwright moves there will be a football team involved.

Come down and watch the Sun disappear.

It was a pleasure meeting you and hope to again.  Let's say high noon on the Audio Road.

Alan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2017, 04:28 pm »
I like Lou's speakers and now better understand his sonic goals, my first exposure was to a pair of DA 1.1 (that have every possible upgrade) belonging to another member of AC and having heard the new Apollo's I get it.

Jake, would those be mine, or someone else?

Since you heard my DA-1.1s in 2010, Lou performed the Version 2 upgrade to the wiring and all poly xovers, added trim rings and replaced the 8" drivers with his new driver. I also added a pair of 15" Daedalus BOWs (subs). Today, they are essentially the Argos without the sculptured front. They remain the most tonally accurate speaker I have heard and I can't wait to hear the Apollos, which will probably be at RMAF this year. Everyone familiar with Lou's speakers tell me the Apollos hit it out of the park.

Let me know the next time you plan to get together and I'll try to make the long drive from Spokane or maybe use miles to fly there.

Laura

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2017, 01:03 am »
Jake, would those be mine, or someone else?

Yup!  I have not forgotten that day because you honored me with being present for the Master Set of your 1.1s.  That was very educational and I was able to go home and perform it and got a significant improvement SQ.  Thanks again!

Since you heard my DA-1.1s in 2010, Lou performed the Version 2 upgrade to the wiring and all poly xovers, added trim rings and replaced the 8" drivers with his new driver.

I may be wrong but I thought you posted in Lou's circle about getting this upgrade?  Still, I don't know just what it brought in sound improvement.

I also added a pair of 15" Daedalus BOWs (subs)

I did not know that!  Wow, bet those make thunder when called upon, eh?  Congrats!

Today, they are essentially the Argos without the sculptured front. They remain the most tonally accurate speaker I have heard and I can't wait to hear the Apollos, which will probably be at RMAF this year. Everyone familiar with Lou's speakers tell me the Apollos hit it out of the park.

Let me know the next time you plan to get together and I'll try to make the long drive from Spokane or maybe use miles to fly there.

Laura

Yes, the Apollos are really good.  I'm a self-confessed, card-carrying bass head and these babies do bass very, very well.

If anything comes up on our audio group radar I'll let you know.  We are trying to get a formal circle but no one has stepped up to take the reigns as facilitator.  I would but I am already the fac for the Tube-O-Phile circle.   Suppose I could ask JohnR for special permission to manage two circles.  I highly doubt the regional circle need much active facilitating.

Have a great evening and nice chatting,
Jake

aldcoll

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2017, 02:20 am »
I am lucky to have heard Vinyl lady latest setup a couple years ago.  This was also the first time I heard Lou's BOW's ( Bass Optimized Woofer).

Flawless and seamless. 

When we first arrived at Lou's shop Saturday he had the BOW's running with the shop Apollo's.   While I only got to hear part of a track I could tell he had turned them off.   But not by very much.

After have my first nice full day with the Apollo's and having had a Rhythmic F12 for a while in the past I currently don't feel the need.

But then again I don't consider myself a base head.

When the Apollo's go away, outside of a long cry I will want a sub again.

The Apollo's play to 20 htz but down a few htz.

Still working hard to break them in.  What a laborious job.

And I guess the Hobbit comment was my standard half thought out statement but he is in the wood's or close to.

Alan

aldcoll

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2017, 06:44 pm »
Well some of the summer schedules have changed around for the wife and I finally got the front room to myself for a whole day.

I have been slowly moving the Apollo's away from the back wall and the sound has greatly improved and nobody has mentioned that she has noticed :nono:

While I don't posses the talent to put superlatives in my statements like some folks can.  Allow me to say they are darned fine speakers.  I have been listening to all my favorites and some new tracks and I just can't get enough.

The 10 inch woofer is just something in it's self.  I tend to listen to folks that play a lot of acoustic guitar and they really capture the sound I hear sitting in the local bistro in a all acoustic set. The Milk Carton Kids never sound better.

One of my go to Albums is Trouble by Ray LaMontagne and the track Burn.  OOOOOOOOOO my :thumb:

To sum it up I truly have speaker envy, I am counting down the days these Apollo's have to leave.

No for some R.L. Burnside and get the ribs off the grill.

Lou you are onto something and I can't wit to hear the next model Zuss

Alan

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2017, 01:25 am »
Geez, Alan.

I so wish I could listen to those speakers. Sigh.  :( I just don't have time to slip away. I'm doing my father's 2016 taxes right now and I'm going crazy because so much info is missing.

Enjoy them, dude!

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2017, 10:40 pm »
Hi, Alan.

We just arrived at our AirBnB home in Cambridge, MA. After two weeks in Chicago with no music, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.

You still enjoying the Apollos?

Michael

aldcoll

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2017, 10:53 pm »
Actually they have overpowering my listening so they are boxed and in the garage.

There is also the gouges on 1 top and side from a friends Great Dane who chased our cat.   Any way he knocked the left speaker over.  I will need to to reemberse me for the scratch on wall that cushioned the fall.

Also the dog owner has a vet bill from one of the spikes that scrapped the dog.  I thought it was just a scratch but they said 20 stitches.

I also had a special branding iron made to mark the front of the units as they will be present for the solar event.  I figure the least I could do was cover the cost of the iron.  Lou assured me the Walnut front would look good with a chared western influence.

Enjoy the east coast.  things couldn't be better here.

Your friend   Alan

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2017, 12:48 am »
Mmm...good friend. :wtf: :rotflmao:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2017, 01:10 am »
Allen,

I thought you said you were no longer going to post late at night :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2017, 01:12 am »
Thank goodness they're okay. I'd been concerned you might have been running low on firewood for the wood burning stove on the patio.  :banana piano: :beer:

Actually, we spent an evening at Buddy Guy's Legends listening to awesome Blues. Buddy Guy is 81 (and suffers prostate cancer) yet he still got up and jammed three banging tunes. www.buddyguy.com

Shredder

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:45 pm »
How do the Apollo's compare to the Ulysses?

aldcoll

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:00 pm »
I can't say as I have refused to hear the Ulysses.  Why punish myself.

It's going to be hard enough to pack these up in a month.

I will go listen to Zeus.

Alan

Shredder

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:45 pm »
I have heard the Ulysses a few times at RMAF. I love them and have always assumed those would be my next speaker. Just wondering if I should consider the Apollo's as well. Zeus will likely exceed my budget (although I haven't actually seen a price).

aldcoll

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:57 pm »
I would put them on the list. 

For my listening the Apollo's are more then enough for my front room of 21 by 18 and three door ways of major size.

I pretty much use them as oversized monsters it seems.  I an prevented from major sound panels.  So I went with a big mirror on the back wall.  Right now it has a blanket over it.

The Ulysses has off set tweeters I THINK.  I have heard the Posidens and they do have to offset and it was a instant sound stage enhancement.

I would spend time with Lou at the show.  You might send a email and cover some of your questions.  He is real busy getting ready for the show right now.

You might try a pm to MCA here on A.C. as he has the Ulysses and has heard the Apollo's. 

Alan

rbbert

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2017, 06:33 pm »

Last Friday I took delivery on a new pair of Ulysses with the "new" X-over (upgraded parts) and the speaker DID's.  They haven't finished breaking in, but the sound is everything I remembered from shows.  I haven't heard the Apollo's, though.

milford3

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:39 pm »
Nice!  Very nice.  Enjoy.