% Of Owners That Use This Forum?

Housteau

% Of Owners That Use This Forum?
« on: 28 May 2007, 10:18 pm »
I was just wondering what the ratio might be of VMPS owners that choose to go it alone compared to those owners that make use of this forum?  I also wonder how successful they are that take this journey without such support?  With such infinitely adjustable speakers, it must take them a good bit longer through hit & miss methods to get the sound they are looking for.

I can only imagine the frustration of trying to get things right on my own, straight out of the crates.  For several years I participated in this forum without even owning a VMPS speaker.  I now consider that time so very well spent.  From components to acoustics my knowledge of audio improved tremendously.  I learned that just because I may have been intimately familiar with particular components and systems, there was still a wealth of information out there that I was completely ignorant about.  If I had not found out these things and had gone forward with what I thought I knew, I would be in a world of hurt right now.

Thanks to this forum and its members, by the time I made my VMPS purchase, I was ready and knew exactly what to expect.  It was smooth sailing all the way.

hmen

Re: % Of Owners That Use This Forum?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2007, 10:48 pm »
My interest in VMPS started on Harmonic Discord and I bought my RM2's a few months after AC started. I bought my RM40's from another AC member (JoshK). I've gotten a lot of great advice from a lot of people here. I'd say this forum deserves a lot of credit for how happy I am with my system.       

tbrooke

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2007, 12:19 am »

I had my subwoofers and some  626's several years before discovering this forum and I survived but this forum is a goldmine. I've learned a lot from this forum and I especially like the pioneer spirit of VMPS people. I sort of feel like I am on the forefront of how far home audio can be pushed.  I'm sure it has helped Brian because I've spent more $ on VMPS speakers than I would have otherwise but I have really enjoyed myself so its been worth it

Tom

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2007, 12:52 am »
I, too, discovered this forum after purchasing a used pair of Tower II SE's. John and Brian are awesome folks. It's great that they willingly share their knowledge with the general audio community. One big lesson I've learned about buyying audio from my VMPS experience and others -- it's important to buy products with substantial support behind them. It helps to build brand loyalty. Someday when I consider upgrading my speakers, VMPS will be #1 on the list.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2007, 12:59 am »
This forum works two ways.  The owner and potential buyer are given shared knowledge and experience, and those who sell, service and manufacture the product learn customer concerns quickly and firsthand.

For my part the Forum means nonstop direct customer contact.  It's doing business in public--complaints and wishes are virtually impossible to ignore or cover up.  If there is a technical problem, recall, or upgrade, both sides know about it immediately. 

It's not the easiest or most comfortable way to go on occasion, particularly when a customer is unhappy, but I'm used to it now and rather like it.

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2007, 09:47 am »
I don't think you'll find the answer on here - you need to go to the 'VMPS owners who don't post on the VMPS forum' forum.  :)

Vmps speakers were suggested to me by a dealer who heard them at a German show. I looked but coudn't find anyway of listening to them here in the England but I read through the VMPS website and this forum. Doing this built up my confidence in the product, particularly the website which goes into great detail about many aspects of speaker building and which comes from the man that builds them - I found that particularly impressive. It was on this basis that I bought RM30M's, unheard - a dangerous game for hi-fi products generally as I'm sure we all know. My dealer was able to import them (and a pair for himself!) and I've had them now nearly one year.

So this forum played a part in my purchase, but Brian's website was more important.

As for setting up, I'd already learned about placement from trying to get the best from other speakers and because I use a digital equalizer, I haven't been too concerned about the knob twiddling aspects. The putty thing is the most difficult and I'm still not super confident I've got it right, perhaps because it's so infinitely variable. In many ways I've ignored advice and done my own thing: I don't use the wave guides and the speakers point direct to my ears.

I've absolutely no regrets on buying VMPS. There may be better sounding systems. Perhaps mine could sound better. However I have what I consider to be a wonderful sound - what more could anyone want?

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 03:02 pm »
While we have a great group here, it is a small percentage of the ownership.

There are many VMPS'ers who simply don't involve themselves, and rely on their dealers or B, to help in set up, and tweaks.

There are also far more who "read" the forum rather than post.

I think that forums of this type are probably one of the "saving graces" to High End.

It attracts like minded individuals and hobbyists to a place where we can share info and have a little fun.

VMPS in particular is the type of system that lends itself to those who like to interact with their systems, and achieve the highest levels of performance.

You won't get that with a lot of places.

AudioCircle is unique and should be applauded for their insight to providing that type of forum.

meilankev

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:33 pm »
I've been here pretty much from the start, and I was on Harmonic Discord for 1 1/2 years prior to that.  Up to this point, I haven't posted as much as most folks - this is because I have spent most of my time over at Home Theater Talk.  Now that Mike closed that site down, perhaps I will hang out here more often.

As most folks know, I am one of Brian's most satisfied customers - not only for the quality of the speakers and how they fit into my system.  But also for all the personal attention Brian gave me when I asked him for assistance.  So, you can be sure that when these speakers get replaced in another 7-8 years, I will be looking Brian up to see how one of his offerings will again best fit into whatever system I am putting together then.

Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:03 am »
I've been here pretty much from the start, and I was on Harmonic Discord for 1 1/2 years prior to that.  Up to this point, I haven't posted as much as most folks - this is because I have spent most of my time over at Home Theater Talk.  Now that Mike closed that site down, perhaps I will hang out here more often.

As most folks know, I am one of Brian's most satisfied customers - not only for the quality of the speakers and how they fit into my system.  But also for all the personal attention Brian gave me when I asked him for assistance.  So, you can be sure that when these speakers get replaced in another 7-8 years, I will be looking Brian up to see how one of his offerings will again best fit into whatever system I am putting together then.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Nice to see that we may see more of you.

That is a shocker that HT Talk is shut down. :o :o :o

Haven't been over in a while but always liked all the guys.

Where is everyone going?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:25 am »
This forum works two ways.  The owner and potential buyer are given shared knowledge and experience, and those who sell, service and manufacture the product learn customer concerns quickly and firsthand.

For my part the Forum means nonstop direct customer contact.  It's doing business in public--complaints and wishes are virtually impossible to ignore or cover up.  If there is a technical problem, recall, or upgrade, both sides know about it immediately. 

It's not the easiest or most comfortable way to go on occasion, particularly when a customer is unhappy, but I'm used to it now and rather like it.

Since you like it this way, I have a request.  Can I please, please get the shiny CDWG to replace the "field" unit you sent me for my ebony RM40s.  The grille cloth is falling apart and you know the wood underneath is not that attractive.  I called and placed an order with you a while back but I think you may have lost the order.  The field unit still functions just fine but I would like to improve the look if you don't mind.  JC won't take my order since I already placed an order with you. 

Thanks.

Oh, and you were going to send me the hardware to secure the FST which are just wedged in right now after dehorning.  Just to let everyone know that I am not complaining about your customer service, I will say you were fabulous when you replaced one of my FST without any questions when I accidentally stretched the ribbon while removing the screen for dehorning.  :oops:

meilankev

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:04 pm »
Hey John,

Yes, Mike has turned off HTT as an internet forum site.  Instead, it is now (more or less) a place for him to stand on his soapbox and express his opinions about audio, music, home theater, and any number of other topics he feels like discussing.  I went over to his house a week and a half ago, and we spoke about this decision (and what had transpired to bring it about).  And of course, as always, he and I sat back and listened to some tunes and had a good time.  He seemed to be in really good spirits.

The bottom line is I am happy for him, and I completely think this move is best for him.  His mental well-being is a lot more important to me than something as trivial as an internet forum.  He is truly a wonderful man.

As to where that HTT crowd migrated to, one of the forum administrators there was CJ Paul.  And once he found out Mike was bowing out, he opened up a new place: www.hometheaterlounge.com .  From what I understand, the vast majority of HTT regulars have moved over to that site.  Hopefully, they will carry on the traditions of HTT there.  It will be a tough act to follow, as I always thought that Mike (and his administrators) did a great job of promoting an environment of "comfort".  And that is really rare on these types of sites.

You know, I never stopped coming to this site a bunch.  It's just that I never posted a lot - only when I thought I could provide some assistance to someone.  Now, perhaps I'll just join in additional threads to include those that are not only looking for advice.

Kevin

matix

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2007, 04:06 am »

As for setting up, I'd already learned about placement from trying to get the best from other speakers and because I use a digital equalizer, I haven't been too concerned about the knob twiddling aspects. The putty thing is the most difficult and I'm still not super confident I've got it right, perhaps because it's so infinitely variable. In many ways I've ignored advice and done my own thing: I don't use the wave guides and the speakers point direct to my ears.

Same here.  I don't use the wave guides and the speaker point to my face,  not criss cross in front of me. 

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:36 am »
Woodsyi:

Will do.

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2007, 04:53 am »
Hey John,

Yes, Mike has turned off HTT as an Internet forum site.  Instead, it is now (more or less) a place for him to stand on his soapbox and express his opinions about audio, music, home theater, and any number of other topics he feels like discussing.  I went over to his house a week and a half ago, and we spoke about this decision (and what had transpired to bring it about).  And of course, as always, he and I sat back and listened to some tunes and had a good time.  He seemed to be in really good spirits.

The bottom line is I am happy for him, and I completely think this move is best for him.  His mental well-being is a lot more important to me than something as trivial as an Internet forum.  He is truly a wonderful man.

As to where that HTT crowd migrated to, one of the forum administrators there was CJ Paul.  And once he found out Mike was bowing out, he opened up a new place: www.hometheaterlounge.com .  From what I understand, the vast majority of HTT regulars have moved over to that site.  Hopefully, they will carry on the traditions of HTT there.  It will be a tough act to follow, as I always thought that Mike (and his administrators) did a great job of promoting an environment of "comfort".  And that is really rare on these types of sites.

You know, I never stopped coming to this site a bunch.  It's just that I never posted a lot - only when I thought I could provide some assistance to someone.  Now, perhaps I'll just join in additional threads to include those that are not only looking for advice.

Kevin
Hello Kevin!
I just got back from Mikes house.
We were listening to several amp combo's on Mikes 40's.
I "took the plunge" and ordered the midwoofer upgrade for my  RM 40's from Brian last week.

I was running dual midwoofers on my speakers as an experiment.
It was not successful.
I am going back to the stock configuration.

Mike has this really cool PS Audio Power Plant thing.
It is HUGE, looks like an amp, but it is actually the power line filter from Hell!

It made a difference I could hear.

Mike has his speakers bi amped, using the big Sunfire on the woofers, and the Audire Noble Mono's on the top.
Nice detail, although Mike is still playing with the levels, etc.

Mike has some really good well recorded Cd's that I liked, and he played them for me.

We even listened to Eva Cassiday, LOL