House voltage ranges from 124VAC down to 80!

dhrab

Re: House voltage ranges from 124VAC down to 80!
« Reply #100 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:32 pm »
#################################################
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2009, 10:15 am by dhrab »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #101 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:04 pm »
Dave, the run form the pole to the meterbox is all underground. The way it was explained to me was the wire, belongs to the utility company. As does the conduit running up the pole. The conduit is mine as soon as it comes out of the ground below the meter box. The box itself is mine, however everything inside belongs to them. kinda weird, but when it was explained it seemed to make sense.
The long and short (no pun intended) is that for them to install the 400 amp wire, I'd have to pay for the wire, the larger meterbox and the labor. They would supply the meterhead. In addition, anything inside the house would be my financial responsibility. As I've been laid off for almost six months, I doubt I could get wifey to agree we need an upgrade. The prospect of a 400 amp service was enticing to say the least. The first thing I thought about was having a dedicated 50amp sub-box at the home theater/two channel room, and another 50amp sub-box in the workshop. I've been wanting to have several dedicated runs of Greenfield (I think it's called), flexible metal conduit off a dedicated sub-box going to the audio/video stuff for a couple years.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Shielding at it's best!  aa
But alas, it isn't in the stars at this point in time.

Mr. Skater, I do have a couple oil filled 1,500 watt space heaters, however I do not have an inductive attachment for my meter. I've seen the Kill-a-watt meters and would love to have one, but based on my above comment, I'm sure you understand why I don't have one.  :roll: :duh: :lol:

Bob

dhrab

« Reply #102 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:44 pm »
##############################################
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2009, 10:14 am by dhrab »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #103 on: 30 Sep 2009, 08:28 pm »
Well let's pretend that you have an amp-meter, it won't be as accurate but it will do.

First -we are measuring line voltage -mistakes could cause death!

I'll leave how you make the measurements and the safety precaution up to you.

Let's arbitrarily decide that 1500W at 120V = 12.5A.

Locate a receptacle near your main breaker box determine which phase or leg that it is on so that later you can repeat the test on the other leg.
Plug in the heater (turned off) measure the line voltage, the voltage will bounce around so try to get a feel for what's average.
Turn on the heater, read the voltage the same way.

The math:
V1 - V2 = E
12.5A = I

R = E/I

For example:
V1 = 124V
V2 = 122V
E = 124-122 = 2V

2V / 12.5A = 0.16 Ohm source impedance

JakeJ

« Reply #104 on: 1 Oct 2009, 05:26 pm »
Hey, Bob, you got PM.

JakeJ

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #105 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:59 pm »
I HAVE A NEW TRANSFORMER!!!!  :hyper:

It took them about 45 minutes (in the rain) to replace it....In and out...wham bam.
Which is a good thing since I got down to 64 volts Saturday.

Thanks to our very own Frank, I was able to run an extension cord across the room to the Liebert UPS and keep the computer running the entire time.  :lol:

So....It looks like this thread has run it's course. I doubt I'll be reporting on any more voltage issues (fingers crossed).

Again, I want to give a BIG thanks to Frank for the heads-up on the Liebert. And a BIG thanks to Ameren UE for the shiny new transformer.  aa

Bob

Frank S.

« Reply #106 on: 26 Oct 2009, 10:01 pm »
Great news Bob! Glad they came through for you.  :thumb:
I've really come to love the Liebert UPS system on both a practical and sonic level.  Great stuff.

Doublej

« Reply #107 on: 9 Dec 2009, 03:41 am »
I HAVE A NEW TRANSFORMER!!!!  :hyper:

It took them about 45 minutes (in the rain) to replace it....In and out...wham bam.
Which is a good thing since I got down to 64 volts Saturday.

Thanks to our very own Frank, I was able to run an extension cord across the room to the Liebert UPS and keep the computer running the entire time.  :lol:

So....It looks like this thread has run it's course. I doubt I'll be reporting on any more voltage issues (fingers crossed).

Again, I want to give a BIG thanks to Frank for the heads-up on the Liebert. And a BIG thanks to Ameren UE for the shiny new transformer.  aa

Bob

There is still this minor problem with the use of the term "monster transformer" in an earlier post  :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: 10 Dec 2009, 02:25 pm »
Yes, you're correct Doublej.
Monster Cables has issued a cease and desist against me using the word "monster" when referring to any type of device that involves the flow of electrons. Specifically in this case, the transformer hanging on the utility pole in my yard.
My attorney has ordered me to not speak further of the matter due to self incrimination.

Bob  :wink:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #109 on: 10 Dec 2009, 02:44 pm »
Monster Cables has issued a cease and desist against me using the word "monster" when referring to any type of device that involves the flow of electrons. Specifically in this case, the transformer hanging on the utility pole in my yard.
My attorney has ordered me to not speak further of the matter due to self incrimination.

Seriously ? If so a bit over the top I'd say. Boycott.

charles

ctviggen

« Reply #110 on: 10 Dec 2009, 03:11 pm »
I think he's being facetious.  If Bob were selling something with the "monster" moniker, then Monster Cable might take notice. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #111 on: 10 Dec 2009, 03:24 pm »

Too late, Bob, you've already incriminated yourself in many, many ways.   :lol:

Boycott 'em, anyway.     :icon_twisted:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #112 on: 10 Dec 2009, 06:24 pm »
That thing out in your yard is a "pole pig".

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #113 on: 10 Dec 2009, 06:33 pm »
Sorry Charles, Yea I was just kidding. I like to take the opportunity to bash "the Monster" when the time is right. They're a little too proud of themselves and deserve a swift kick in the balls occasionally. I was very glad to hear the rebuttal from the fella at Blue Jeans Cables was just that....a kick in the groin to the Monster. "Good on him".

"Pole Pig", I like that Skater, very funny.  :lol:

Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #114 on: 10 Dec 2009, 07:16 pm »
Sorry Charles, Yea I was just kidding. I like to take the opportunity to bash "the Monster" when the time is right. They're a little too proud of themselves and deserve a swift kick in the balls occasionally. I was very glad to hear the rebuttal from the fella at Blue Jeans Cables was just that....a kick in the groin to the Monster. "Good on him".

"Pole Pig", I like that Skater, very funny.  :lol:

Bob

No problem enjoying the fun. I like your sense of humor.

charles

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 10 Dec 2009, 07:54 pm »
I like your sense of humor.
Kick-ass!  :D Let's see.....With, me, myself, and I....that makes four of us.
I'll put a fourth tick mark on the chart.  aa

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #116 on: 10 Dec 2009, 08:03 pm »
+1   :thumb: