What classical music you listening to, luv?

andolink

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #2080 on: 16 Mar 2018, 12:33 pm »
My admiration for this recording remains undiminished--

Charles WuorinenEighth  Symphony

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2081 on: 16 Mar 2018, 11:06 pm »
Another happy episode of “Keeping Up With the Andolinks!”

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2082 on: 16 Mar 2018, 11:20 pm »
Nice hirez recording of the music of the Habsburg Court:

Tyson

« Reply #2083 on: 17 Mar 2018, 03:40 am »
Ever since I got my tube amp up and running again I can't seem to stop listening to violin music and to vocal recitals.  Right now the 24/96 hirez vocal recital by Chantal Santon Jeffery called Stradella.  Amazing sound, really great music:

andolink

« Reply #2084 on: 17 Mar 2018, 01:07 pm »

andolink

« Reply #2085 on: 17 Mar 2018, 04:13 pm »

moremoremore

« Reply #2086 on: 17 Mar 2018, 06:57 pm »
I just ordered the Gavin Bryars: The Fifth Century CD.  Anything Arvo Pärt-esque is okay with me.  Thanks.

Tyson

« Reply #2087 on: 17 Mar 2018, 07:03 pm »
Hirez recording of several Beethoven violin sonatas by Danny Driver and Chloe Hanslip.  Good sound but still deciding about the performances. 

Tyson

« Reply #2088 on: 17 Mar 2018, 11:36 pm »
Hirez recording from Daniel Hope doing the Haydn Violin concerto:

andolink

« Reply #2089 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:22 am »

moremoremore

« Reply #2090 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:19 pm »
Wonderfully vigorous performance.  HP Books purchase that cleaned up nicely.

Tyson

« Reply #2091 on: 18 Mar 2018, 06:28 pm »
I don't go to church on Sundays, but I do listen to Bach.  Leipzig Cantatas performed by Herreweghe:

Randy

« Reply #2092 on: 20 Mar 2018, 01:27 am »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2093 on: 20 Mar 2018, 01:43 am »
Man, you guys listen to some obscure stuff.

For me, Horowitz on EMI/Pathe Marconi  "Les Gravures Illustres" 
Pieces by Bach, Scarlatti, Beethoven, Chopin, Stravinsky, Debussy, and Poulenc.  Vinyl from the late 60's

Randy

« Reply #2094 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:29 pm »
Man, you guys listen to some obscure stuff.

For me, Horowitz on EMI/Pathe Marconi  "Les Gravures Illustres" 
Pieces by Bach, Scarlatti, Beethoven, Chopin, Stravinsky, Debussy, and Poulenc.  Vinyl from the late 60's

I overdosed on the standards, Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, Dvorak, Mahler, etc. many, many years ago, so had to look for alternatives. (Mozart, Haydn, and Schubert have been constants for me.) There's a lot of great, unknown music now available, most of which wasn't available back in the days of the Lp.  On the other hand, I've been going back and  listening again after many years a lot of the old war horses and mainly enjoying them once more, but not aways. There's truth in the old saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt."  Well, maybe not contempt so much as boredom.

Been reading a bio of Brahms, so am looking to go back to some of his music again. Just ordered a recording of his two early Serenades for orchestra which I've never had on CD.

Tyson

« Reply #2095 on: 20 Mar 2018, 05:01 pm »
I overdosed on the standards, Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, Dvorak, Mahler, etc. many, many years ago, so had to look for alternatives. (Mozart, Haydn, and Schubert have been constants for me.) There's a lot of great, unknown music now available, most of which wasn't available back in the days of the Lp.  On the other hand, I've been going back and  listening again after many years a lot of the old war horses and mainly enjoying them once more, but not aways. There's truth in the old saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt."  Well, maybe not contempt so much as boredom.

Been reading a bio of Brahms, so am looking to go back to some of his music again. Just ordered a recording of his two early Serenades for orchestra which I've never had on CD.

Yes, I feel that way a bit about Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Rachmaninov and Chopin.  Ones I'm still in "discovering" mode and learning to appreciate are Debussy, Ravel, Haydn, Stravinsky, Shostakovich (but getting close to saturation with him), Mahler (getting close to saturation here, too) and Wagner.  Other composers that I'm very familiar with but never seem to get tired of are Bach and Brahms.  And some Beethoven, especially the later works in the string quartets and piano sonatas.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2096 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:58 pm »
It is interesting how we go through phases in our listening choices.  Sure, there are only so many times that you want to listen to Beethoven's Fifth, but that still doesn't bring me to madrigals by Filippo Bonaffino.  Occasionally I'll run across a $2 lp of a Gesualdo type and take a flier, but I'm not tuned in to the 15th century... nor the 21st century.  Musical taste is even more varied than gastronomic taste.  If I run across an interesting Eric Satie, it gets snatched up... one of the thousands of obscure Bach pieces written for the next Sunday mass, not so much.  But if on a desert island with 10 recordings, three would be jazz, 4-5 would be classical/romantic, 1-2 might be baroque, 1 might be 20th century.  Just too much to discover to spend time with Bern Herbolsheimer's Quartet for Bear, Monkey, Goat, and Jackass.   
However, it seems impossible to overdose on Chopin.  In 50+ years of playing his little pieces, I never tire of his work. 

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2097 on: 21 Mar 2018, 10:50 pm »
Happy 334th birthday, Bach!

J.s. Bach: Double & Triple Concertos / Podger, Bellamy, Pramsohler, Brecon Baroque
Bach, J.s. / Baroque
Release Date: 06/11/2013 
Label:  Channel Classics   Catalog #: 34113   Spars Code: DDD
Composer:  Johann Sebastian Bach
Performer:  Bojan Cicic,  Rachel Podger,  Alexandra Bellamy,  Johannes Pramsohler
Conductor:  Rachel Podger

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2098 on: 22 Mar 2018, 12:58 am »
Another slice of cake Johann?

Bach: Motets / René Jacobs, Rias Kammerchor

Release Date: 03/10/1997 
Label:  Harmonia Mundi   Catalog #: 901589   Spars Code: n/a
Performer:  Maria Cristina Kiehr,  Bernarda Fink,  Gerd Türk,  Peter Kooy,   ... 
Conductor:  René Jacobs
Orchestra/Ensemble:  Berlin RIAS Chamber Chorus,  Academy for Ancient Music Berlin
Number of Discs: 1 

Tyson

« Reply #2099 on: 22 Mar 2018, 01:02 am »
Happy 334th birthday, Bach!

J.s. Bach: Double & Triple Concertos / Podger, Bellamy, Pramsohler, Brecon Baroque
Bach, J.s. / Baroque
Release Date: 06/11/2013 
Label:  Channel Classics   Catalog #: 34113   Spars Code: DDD
Performer:  Bojan Cicic,  Rachel Podger,  Alexandra Bellamy,  Johannes Pramsohler
Conductor:  Rachel Podger

All of her baroque recordings are outstanding.