Tubes, design, etc.

sonicboom

Tubes, design, etc.
« on: 12 Sep 2017, 02:54 pm »
Also, I would hardly choose a dht tube to produce the most "real life like sounds".

Cheers

Steve

And I would hardly choose an idht beam/pentode tube for said purpose. Linearity is your friend... well a better one anyway, than gobs of feedback.

Steve

Re: Tubes, design, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2017, 08:30 pm »
And I would hardly choose an idht beam/pentode tube for said purpose. Linearity is your friend... well a better one anyway, than gobs of feedback.

The myth would say so. But let's check out the actual facts. I need to emphasize that we need to consider correctly designed amplifiers. 

First, the intermodulation distortion (IMD) of any triode is approximately 2.8 times that of total harmonic distortion (THD). So at 5% THD, the IMD would be approximately 14.8% for each tube. Not surprising that SET amplifiers don't work well with many instruments/voices. At one watt output, there is virtually no difference between the tubes.

Secondly, we need to consider the entire amp design. Both tube types require a gain stage to boost the input signal voltage to drive the output tubes. Gain stage tubes as well as the output DHT and IDHT tubes produce HD as well as IMD.

Next, we need to investigate the amount of drive signal required for the 300b VS the 6550/KT88 etc. The 300b requires ~ twice as much signal drive voltage as the 6550. This means the gain stage of the 300b amp will produce much more THD and IMD than the gainstage of the 6550.

Next? When we have two stages of amplification, the gain stage and output tubes, the 2nd order HD combines with the 2nd order HD to produce 4th order HD, the 2nd and 3rd order HD also combine to produce 6th order, and the 3rd and 3rd order HD produce 9th order harmonics. Of course IMD is terrible because it mixes all the musical and non-musical signal harmonics together. IMD is not part of the musical presentation.

So the 300b amplifier will produce at least 2nd order, 3rd order, 4th order, 6th order, and 9th orders of harmonic distortion as well as IMD. With 3 stages, there will be even higher orders.

However, the gain stage of the 6550 amp can be designed for virtually zero distortion. What does this mean? The result is that only the output tube is producing HD. So the 6550 amplifier will only have 2nd and 3rd orders of distortion, and much less IMD due to fewer harmonic orders present.

It is not surprising why SETs do not do well with multiple instruments, such as in a large band or orchestra.

There are two ways to "cover up" higher order harmonics. The first is to make the 2nd order harmonic distortion as high as possible. This will give the music an artificial richness, but also a sonic signature. Not natural. The second way is to limit the high frequency response, again giving the music a fullness, but with a sonic signature. True, naturalness will include real inner detail, such as perceiving the recording studio walls, not by added artificial harmonic distortion.

Now that an audio myth has been busted, we can go back to the OP, that ICs do "sound" different.

Cheers
Steve

« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017, 03:34 am by Steve »

sonicboom

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2017, 03:20 pm »
First, the intermodulation distortion (IMD) of any triode is approximately 2.8 times that of total harmonic distortion (THD). So at 5% THD, the IMD would be approximately 14.8% for each tube. Not surprising that SET amplifiers don't work well with many instruments/voices. At one watt output, there is virtually no difference between the tubes.

My comment was about the linearity of the amplifying device; I specifically did not mention SET amplifiers, but I’ll play along. SET’s, along with SEP’s are a subset of amplifiers with their own unique characteristics. Let’s stay on SE amps for a moment. This topology produces mostly 2nd order HD which in turn produces most of the IMD. It’s in the topology and not in the inherent nature of the DHT tube that gives rise to this characteristic. Pentodes in a SE config would give substantially more THD and IMD without the use of feedback. It seems a bit disingenuous to compare a DHT implemented as a SE amp to an IDHT implemented in a PP stage were the main culprit of IMD, namely the 2nd order HD component is canceled.

Secondly, we need to consider the entire amp design. Both tube types require a gain stage to boost the input signal voltage to drive the output tubes. Gain stage tubes as well as the output DHT and IDHT tubes produce HD as well as IMD.

Agreed

Next, we need to investigate the amount of drive signal required for the 300b VS the 6550/KT88 etc. The 300b requires ~ twice as much signal drive voltage as the 6550. This means the gain stage of the 300b amp will produce much more THD and IMD than the gainstage of the 6550.

A typical drive signal for a 300B is around 50V RMS, while the 6550 working at a typical OP as found in the datasheets (either in UL or pent mode), requires an input of about 30V RMS. Low distortion drivers such as the 6SN7 and 6922 exhibit a modest rise in HD between these two values. In addition, a good design will further mitigate this difference with the use of CCS’s or plate chokes as loads. This flattens the load line, increases gain and reduces distortion quite substantially. Case in point, some time ago I sim’ed a 6922 using a CCS as a plate load and the rise in HD (which was mostly comprised of 2nd order harmonics) went from 0.6% to 0.8% between 30 and 50 Volts RMS. Hardly a big jump.

Next? When we have two stages of amplification, the gain stage and output tubes, the 2nd order HD combines with the 2nd order HD to produce 4th order HD, the 2nd and 3rd order HD also combine to produce 6th order, and the 3rd and 3rd order HD produce 9th order harmonics. Of course IMD is terrible because it mixes all the musical and non-musical signal harmonics together. IMD is not part of the musical presentation. So the 300b amplifier will produce at least 2nd order, 3rd order, 4th order, 6th order, and 9th orders of harmonic distortion as well as IMD. With 3 stages, there will be even higher orders.

Wrong. In a two stage amp the stages are in anti-phase. This means that the 2nd order harmonic from the driver will be amplified, inverted and partially cancel the 2nd harmonic component of the final tube. Competent SE designs use this ‘trick’ and try to choose operating points where at least the 2nd and 3rd HD components of the driver are proportional to those produced by the final tube. That’s where the term distortion cancelation in SE amps came from. A big advantage of said DHT’s is that they produce very little upper harmonic HD artifacts, unlike the IDHT’s. So again, the mechanism as you described here giving rise to IMD, is more prevalent in IDH tubes, where feedback saves the day.

However, the gain stage of the 6550 amp can be designed for virtually zero distortion. What does this mean? The result is that only the output tube is producing HD. So the 6550 amplifier will only have 2nd and 3rd orders of distortion, and much less IMD due to fewer harmonic orders present.

As I showed above, the gain stage of a 6550, all things being equal, will at best be a marginal improvement over the one designed for a 300B. This statement holds true for the gain stages viewed in isolation, because when looked at in the context of an amp, the 6550 has a big disadvantage. At typical operating points the 6550 has an in-circuit gain of around 11-12 while the 300B’s in-circuit gain is 3.5. That’s a big difference and it means that all the HD components from the driver will be amplified 12 times vs. 3.5 times for the DHT. So as an example, even if we have a driver stage for the IDHT at half the distortion as compared to the DHT's driver, the final HD figure would be substantially to the disadvantage of the former. A 0.5% HD from the driver multiplied by 12 is 6% THD. A 1% HD from the driver of the 300B gives 3.5% THD. This fact alone tells us which tube places bigger constraints on the driver stage and it ain't the 300B!

It is not surprising why SETs do not do well with multiple instruments, such as in a large band or orchestra.

Albeit a subjective opinion, there’s quite a large number of people that will disagree with you on this statement. Of course these people will most likely be using very high efficiency speakers (over 100dB/W) where the SE amp is taxed very little and the distortion is kept low.

Now that an audio myth has been busted, we can go back to the OP, that ICs do "sound" different.

I’ll leave it to the readers regarding the ‘busting of myths’, but the fact remains that these 80+ year-old tubes are the most linear amplification devices in existence. As with anything, proper design and implementation falls on the competence of the designer.

Cheers

Steve

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:49 pm »
With an analog interconnect system, it takes lots & lots of capacitance to roll off the high frequencies (that's mFd not pFd).
The output stage will be unhappy with such a large capacitive load.
Nope, 10 or 20 pFd doesn't change anything.

But that is not actually true, nor the point. The point is that if the sonics were to be affected, the IC with more pf would be fuller sounding. Instead, the
IC with the less pf "sounded" fuller. So expectation bias was not involved in the individual results. Besides that, nobody could see the ICs.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2017, 05:53 pm »
Don't you have any curiosity? When something sounds different that shouldn't, don't you wonder what went wrong?
Nothing wrong with sounding like Hillary.

What do you base your opinion on, please be specific? So what did go wrong in your opinion?????

Cheers
Steve

Steve

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2017, 11:20 pm »
My comment was about the linearity of the amplifying device; I specifically did not mention SET amplifiers, but I’ll play along. SET’s, along with SEP’s are a subset of amplifiers with their own unique characteristics. Let’s stay on SE amps for a moment. This topology produces mostly 2nd order HD which in turn produces most of the IMD. It’s in the topology and not in the inherent nature of the DHT tube that gives rise to this characteristic. Pentodes in a SE config would give substantially more THD and IMD without the use of feedback. It seems a bit disingenuous to compare a DHT implemented as a SE amp to an IDHT implemented in a PP stage were the main culprit of IMD, namely the 2nd order HD component is canceled.

Agreed

Either SET but PP is ok to discuss. I am discussing triode to triode though, not pentode/beam power operation. Let’s keep things straight.

Secondly harmonic structure is mostly determined by the load on the tube, and the tube itself. Any triode can be manipulated to produce mostly 2nd harmonic distortion by how it is loaded.

Third, ALL tubes, including triodes, produce 3rd harmonic distortion and higher, check the graph below for proof. True, with PP 2nd harmonics are cancelled, depending upon the balance etc. However, that does not eliminate the intermodulation distortion problem plus the gain stage, plus the 3rd and higher harmonics. Again see the graph below.

A typical drive signal for a 300B is around 50V RMS, while the 6550 working at a typical OP as found in the datasheets (either in UL or pent mode), requires an input of about 30V RMS. Low distortion drivers such as the 6SN7 and 6922 exhibit a modest rise in HD between these two values.

Big difference. P-P, 50vrms equates to 141 volts peak to peak, 70.5 volts peak. 30vrms equates to 84 volts peak to peak, or 42 volts peak. The distortion rises rapidly with increased signal amplitude. Your 1% example is fairly representative, depending upon the peak to peak amplitude.

The JJ E88cc produces much less distortion than any 6SN7 type tubes. In a preamplifier, it is ~1/9th, or ~-19db lower, in a typical common cathode circuit. By the way, using a computer program is not going to get you where you want to go.

In addition, a good design will further mitigate this difference with the use of CCS’s or plate chokes as loads.

A plate choke is the last part one should use in a design. The impedance varies with frequency, the load line becomes elliptical, distortion increases. The gain is not flat (RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook, 26 engineers). To keep phase shift between stages minimal, the frequency response (FR) needs to be at least 1/10th the lowest frequency reproduced, -3db. An inductor is not going to make it if one wishes an accurate/natural copy of the input signal. (The guy who was pushing inductors in virtually all aspects of audio some years ago, T L, was caught working under the table for X & Y  transformer company. He was also dismissed from being an audio reviewer.)

This flattens the load line, increases gain and reduces distortion quite substantially. Case in point, some time ago I sim’ed a 6922 using a CCS as a plate load and the rise in HD (which was mostly comprised of 2nd order harmonics) went from 0.6% to 0.8% between 30 and 50 Volts RMS. Hardly a big jump.

Simulation is not a good method, I actually measure. See above. It certainly is not flat through out the frequency range needed.
Secondly, using a poor circuit will give a very poor distortion measurement vs frequency, as your distortion figures corroborates what I stated in my previous post; two stages of distortion with the 300b.
I use a gain stage that produces less than 0,05% HD at 50 volts peak, or 100 volts peak to peak. That is being conservative as I list my entire amp's total THD at .05% at 1 watt to be on the safe side.

Wrong. In a two stage amp the stages are in anti-phase. This means that the 2nd order harmonic from the driver will be amplified, inverted and partially cancel the 2nd harmonic component of the final tube.

Who told you that? There are problems with that statement.
The 1st problem being higher orders are produced.
Secondly, each tube will have wildly varying harmonics, and their individual amplitudes vary, as shown, from Eimac graph.
Besides that, the distortion of the 1st stage is usually quite low vs the output stage, so cancellation is minimal.
If someone increases the distortion of the 1st stage in an attempt to cancel 2nd order distortion, then higher order harmonics with greater amplitude will also result. Please check out this graph from Eimac.

See how the harmonic distortion amplitude constantly changes with signal level. Notice the graph is for 3rd, 5th, and 7th harmonics. Those 300bs and 6SN7 types must be out of this world if they don't produce any distortion products higher than 2nd order. As the graph demonstrates, that is why one needs to design the lowest possible distortionless gain stages. As I mention, we all have been mislead at some time or another, so don't worry.

Competent SE designs use this ‘trick’ and try to choose operating points where at least the 2nd and 3rd HD components of the driver are proportional to those produced by the final tube. That’s where the term distortion cancelation in SE amps came from. A big advantage of said DHT’s is that they produce very little upper harmonic HD artifacts, unlike the IDHT’s. So again, the mechanism as you described here giving rise to IMD, is more prevalent in IDH tubes, where feedback saves the day.

See above. And we still have not added yet another distortion stage often used in 300b amps.

As I showed above, the gain stage of a 6550, all things being equal, will at best be a marginal improvement over the one designed for a 300B.

As we have seen, that statement is completely false, except for those manufacturers who do not understand how to properly design an amplifier.

This statement holds true for the gain stages viewed in isolation, because when looked at in the context of an amp, the 6550 has a big disadvantage. At typical operating points the 6550 has an in-circuit gain of around 11-12 while the 300B’s in-circuit gain is 3.5. That’s a big difference and it means that all the HD components from the driver will be amplified 12 times vs. 3.5 times for the DHT.

This statement is completely, 100% false. See the above Eimac graph. The only thing one will obtain is sporadic, limited cancellation at best. Gain does not factor into the equation at all, none. A simple measurement will prove this. EE classes help as well. The real problem are the IMD products created, because they are dissident, not part of the music. Rid the first stage of HD and the amp output will have much less IMD.

Example: If the gain of the 1at stage is .1%, and the 2nd stage gain is 10, that 0,1% distortion figure does not rise by 10 times to 1%. You see, the signal level also rose by 10 times, the distortion figure remains at 0,1%. 

Output distortion of two stages.
The harmonics of two stages multiple, 2nd harmonic of the 1st stage and 2nd harmonic of the 2nd stage will produce 4th harmonic.
2nd and 3rd will produce 6th order harmonic,
3rd and 3rd will produce 9th order harmonic.
5th and 2nd will produce 10th order harmonic.
5th and 3rd will produce 15th order harmonic.
IMD is much more complicated.

By the way, I already use a gain stage that has at least 1/12 the THD (-21.5db) of your CCS gain stage example. Using the correct design is all important in reproducing accurate/natural music. I have tested my amps for sonic accuracy with actual sophisticated listening tests, so I know. A computer program is quite limited in what can be accomplished.

So as an example, even if we have a driver stage for the IDHT at half the distortion as compared to the DHT's driver, the final HD figure would be substantially to the disadvantage of the former. A 0.5% HD from the driver multiplied by 12 is 6% THD. A 1% HD from the driver of the 300B gives 3.5% THD. This fact alone tells us which tube places bigger constraints on the driver stage and it ain't the 300B!

Again completely, 100% incorrect. A perfect example of why actual distortion measurements are important, plus the EE class room. Gain of the output tube(s) will not increase the distortion from 0,5% to 6%, per your example. Again, completely false.

Albeit a subjective opinion, there’s quite a large number of people that will disagree with you on this statement.

Just because a "number of people" do not understand principles of audio designing does not mean others do not understand. I have to wonder why that group is pushing a false premise you stated above. If not, why did they not correct your misunderstanding?

Actual setup listening tests to identify how accurate an amp or preamplifier is does not lend itself to being subjective. If they wish to express subjective opinions, so be it. If you wish to make this a subjective vs subjective, it would seem to me that your initial post has become naked.

Of course these people will most likely be using very high efficiency speakers (over 100dB/W) where the SE amp is taxed very little and the distortion is kept low.

So what spl can be obtained and still be clean, 1 to 3 watts audio output? Need a subwoofer, and matching problems? How much compressed air distortion in the horn throat. Compressed air is not linear. Lot's of concerns when it comes to high efficiency speakers.

Again, my whole amplifier has less than .05% THD at 1 watt, not just the first stage.

I’ll leave it to the readers regarding the ‘busting of myths’, but the fact remains that these 80+ year-old tubes are the most linear amplification devices in existence. As with anything, proper design and implementation falls on the competence of the designer.

Sorry, but the JJs E88cc are some 19 db less THD, at least 1/9th the distortion, of any 6SN7 type etc. The output tubes I use are also equivalent. I ought to know, I have been testing/electronics and tubes for some 55 years.

The  more accurate the components, the more natural the music. Using artificial flavoring and sonic signatures is not in my repertoire. I know mine are near perfect, if not perfect, and I am using KT-88s.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017, 01:37 pm by Steve »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:55 pm »
What do you base your opinion on, please be specific? So what did go wrong in your opinion?????
Cheers
Steve
If I could answer question like that over the web, I could get rich as an industrial consultant.

But just guessing, I would say an uncontrolled variable.

In modern interconnect systems (high impedance vacuum tube circuits excluded) it takes lots of capacitance to roll off high audio frequencies.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2017, 03:59 pm »
from Linkwitz a long time ago:

Let's put a little realism into high frequency loss due to long interconnects.

I just measured 2 nF capacitance for a 5 meter RCA connector cable that I use with Pluto. That is 400pF/meter rather than 100pF/meter or less which is typical for interconnects.

If the output impedance from the pre-amp is 1kohm (high) and the input impedance of the power amp is 10kohm, then the effective impedance is 10k//1k or 910ohm.
With the 2nF cable this gives a lowpass 3dB cutoff frequency of Fc = 1/(2piRC) = 87 kHz, which is still far above the needed frequency range. With a typical capacitance cable the cutoff would be at 350 kHz. If the passive pre-amp has 10kohm output resistance Fc would still be 70kHz.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2017, 05:13 pm »
from Linkwitz a long time ago:

Let's put a little realism into high frequency loss due to long interconnects.

I just measured 2 nF capacitance for a 5 meter RCA connector cable that I use with Pluto. That is 400pF/meter rather than 100pF/meter or less which is typical for interconnects.

If the output impedance from the pre-amp is 1kohm (high) and the input impedance of the power amp is 10kohm, then the effective impedance is 10k//1k or 910ohm.
With the 2nF cable this gives a lowpass 3dB cutoff frequency of Fc = 1/(2piRC) = 87 kHz, which is still far above the needed frequency range.

Well, let's see. 2nf is 2,000 pf. With only resistance and capacitance, the response fall off is 6db/octave. Approximates are, -3db at 87khz is approximately -1db at 43.5khz, -.26db at 22khz, ~ -.1db or so at only 11khz. Changes in frequency response (FR) affect the rise time. And each component in a system not only has a rise time, but the rise times add, appearing as a slow attacks, softness in layman's terms.

One 5 year study involving Physics, University EEs. Medical hospitals etc concluded a 5us change in rise time is perceivable. Jneutron (FermiLab, Cern, Brookhaven National laboratory etc) has stated a reliable study's conclusion that 1.5us rise time difference is perceivable. 50khz has a rise time of about 6us. Back in the 80's, I performed my own research, lasting weeks, by altering the FR of a preamplifier from -1db at 200khz to -1db at 150khz. I arrived at a conclusion of even more sensitive than the two above mentioned studies.

I am currently working on a pair of two way speakers, a full range driver and woofer. Xover is ~ 160hz. I am using an ~ 9k ohm resistor directly across the full range driver to alter the frequency response (FR) of the driver. It also varies the matching to the woofer (in layman's terms). Adjusting the 9k ohm resistor by .05 ohms is perceived quite easily. The adjustment is ~ 1 part in 200,000.

Olson's work concluded that the higher the harmonic, the easier it is to perceive when that harmonic is altered. Rane has concluded that as an FR abnormality widens from 1/3 octave width to several octaves, it is easier to perceive differences. Altering the FR alters several higher order harmonics of instruments etc.

According to physics, anytime there is movement of mass, energy is expended. There is no free lunch. The heavier the material, or the faster the movement, the more energy is expended. Example: a heavier speaker cone requires more energy to move than a lighter speaker cone. Different materials in an IC have different molecular mass, and will require different amounts of energy for movement at a given frequency. The fact is, there is more involved than just resistance, capacitance, and inductance, if one wishes to examine basic physics.

With a typical capacitance cable the cutoff would be at 350 kHz. If the passive pre-amp has 10kohm output resistance Fc would still be 70kHz.

I agree. But you skipped over my point, which is that any expectation bias by a typical person would conclude the smaller capacitance cable should sound brighter, thinner. Just the opposite was concluded, it sounded fuller. And sight was not involved. Physics is science.

You are correct in one point you seem to allude too. The main limitation if high frequency response is between the volume control and the first active device. The FR can vary wildly with rotation of the volume control, with mid resistance point minimizing the high frequency response. Minimum FR occurs at about 2pm (cst).   :P

Cheers

Steve

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm »
But Linkwitz was working with 2000pF and your cables were under 40 pf that's more than a small difference.

Lets not even get into that microsecond time delay thing. Those two superconductor guys got it all messed up.
That may be the only mistake that J Neutron ever made.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2017, 11:24 pm »
But Linkwitz was working with 2000pF and your cables were under 40 pf that's more than a small difference.

Lets not even get into that microsecond time delay thing. Those two superconductor guys got it all messed up.
That may be the only mistake that J Neutron ever made.

I am not going to argue with you. Dozens of University professors, Medical professionals from hospitals, professionals from as far away as India and Japanese officials were in on the studies, one was 5 years in the making. I have performed my own experiments decades before, and even now, and concur with their conclusions, if not more sensitive. Here is one email I received from Dr. Kunchur. (I altered the paragraphs for ease of reading.)

Just to give a clearer idea of how formal science and the (incredibly rigorous) scientific process is conducted, I thought I would explain what went into publishing the two above mentioned papers that have apparently generated controversy among lay readers (interestingly there has been no controversy whatsoever in all the professional circles, which include

audiologists,
otolaryngologists,
acousticians,
engineers, and
physicists ).

An experiment has to be carefully thought out and then submitted as a proposal to an Institutional Review Board (IRB) and approved by them before it can even begin. Then optimum equipment, methods, and a multitude of cross checks must be developed (my papers give some details to help appreciate what went in).

It takes about half a year to conduct each sequence of controlled blind tests. Consent forms (legally approved and certified by the IRB) must be signed. The results, analysis, and conclusions are then carefully considered and discussed with colleagues who are experts in their related inter-disciplinary fields; for this I went in person to various universities and research institutes and met with people in departments of

physics,
engineering,
psychology,
neuroscience,
music,
communications sciences,
physiology, and
materials science.

After that the results and conclusions were presented at

conferences of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA),
Association of Research in Otolaryngology (ARO), and
American Physical Society (APS).

Seminars were also made at numerous universities and research/industrial institutions (please see the list on my web site). After each presentation, the audience is free to tear apart the conclusions and ask all possible questions. Eminent people such as presidents of the above mentioned societies and corporations were present at my presentations and engaged in the discussions.

After passing through this grueling oral presentation process, written manuscripts were then submitted to journals. There, anonymous referees are free to attack the submission in any way they want. More than a dozen referees and editors have been involved in this journal refereeing process.

Only after everyone is satisfied with the accuracy of the results and all statements made in the manuscript, are the papers published in the journals. The entire process took around 5 years from initial concept to refereed publications. (Note that an article in a conference proceeding does not go through the rigorous refereeing process of a formal journal. Essentially anything submitted there gets accepted for publication. Contents of books are also not rigorously refereed. When possible, reference should always be made to an original journal article.)
I would like to add some other observations:

(1) One should be wary of drawing conclusions based on an “intuitive feelings” or because something “makes sense”. This has its role in adding plausibility to the understanding but can sometimes be contrary to fact. Thus qualitative statements based on survival and evolution cannot lead to a quantitative estimate of temporal resolution. One has to gain a detailed understanding of the physiology of the ear followed by all the neural processing steps in the ascending pathways of the brain. This knowledge can take years to acquire. (I give some references below for further reading.) On the other hand something that cannot be understood or explained (at the moment) isn’t necessarily false. It can be dangerous to dismiss claims just because they don’t make sense. Science should deal with properly authenticated facts.

(2) Listening tests can be notoriously unreliable unless properly designed. This is why the proposal and consent forms for tests on human subjects have to approved by the IRB, otherwise no journal will consider an article for publication. The tests have not only to be blind but also must be absent of extraneous cues (such as the switching transients discussed in my papers). I would therefore be wary of informal listening tests conducted at home – these can be useful in helping you decide which component works better in your system but not rigorous enough to establish a scientific fact.

(3) There is an erroneous statement in one of the forum posts “Such temporal resolution depends on the "coincidence detector" circuitry of the medial superior olive … mostly effective below 3kHz.”
Actually the bipolar cells in the MSO (medial superior olive) encode relative delays between right and left ears which are used in azimuthal localization (left-right location determination). This has nothing whatsoever to do with the monaural temporal resolution being discussed.

Coincidences between different frequencies arriving at each ear are encoded by octopus cells (which act like synchronous AND gates with a huge number of inputs) located in the PVCN (postero-ventral cochlear nucleus). This slew-rate information from the octopus cells then feeds bushy cells in the VNLLv (ventral subdivision of the ventral nucleus of the lateral leminiscus) which contributes to elements of pattern recognition.
I hope this clarifies the meaning of temporal resolution in the context of sound reproduction systems. For further insight into psychoacoustics and the neurophysiology of hearing, I can recommend the following books: 

(1) “The psychology of hearing” by Brian Moore
(2) “Integrative functions in the mammalian auditory pathways” by Oertel, Fay, and Popper
(3) “Neuroscience” by Purves et al.

I have personally met with and discussed my results with the authors of the first two books. All of these books are used as texts at universities. The last one is used in introductory neuroscience courses and is relatively easy to read.

Sincerely,

Milind Kunchur
*********************************************************************************
Milind N. Kunchur, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics 

As one can see, 3rd party, medical hospital professionals, such as Audiologists, Otorhinolaryngology, engineers, 3 different professional audio societies, authors. I know of some you are referencing to, and they are associated with certain audio companie(s), so conflicts of interest. They have been investigated by a Federal Investigator for internet fraud. I would suggest sticking with real science scientists.

On another forum, one PhD claimed that headphones were used in order to discredit the study, when in actually tweeters were used 8 feet from the subject. Another with a EE masters degree (a digital "expert") claimed 5us time difference was measured using both ears, when the study demonstrated for an individual ear, see point 3 above might help. This same EE masters degree expert also claimed that changing the speaker impedance (Z) from 4 to 8 ohms did not affect the damping factor.

The other study involved a head scientist of a nation with major league, top national credentials, including the nuclear and medical fields.
Jneutron is also another one with super credentials and holds classes for other scientists. He has been a music lover for over 20 years now.

Please re read my previous posts and attempt to understand expectation bias and how my experiments negated that problem. For the 3rd time, the problem is not whether they sounded different. The issue is that expectation bias is present and was negated.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm by Steve »

sonicboom

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2017, 03:11 pm »

Secondly harmonic structure is mostly determined by the load on the tube, and the tube itself. Any triode can be manipulated to produce mostly 2nd harmonic distortion by how it is loaded.

I so much as said this, by my mention of using constant current sources to flatten the load line and reduce distortion to a minimum.

Third, ALL tubes, including triodes, produce 3rd harmonic distortion and higher, check the graph below. True, with PP 2nd harmonics are cancelled, depending upon the balance etc. However, that does not eliminate the intermodulation problem caused by the gain stage and the 3rd and higher harmonics. Again see the graph below.

Agree on the PP action and its resultant 2nd HD cancellation – I said as much previously. While all tubes produce higher order harmonics, DHT’s produce substantially less of these than IDHT’s do.

Big difference. P-P, 50vrms equates to 141 volts peak to peak, 70.5 volts peak. 30vrms equates to 84 volts peak to peak, or 42 volts peak. The distortion rises rapidly with increased signal amplitude.
The JJ E88cc produces much less distortion than any 6SN7 type tube. In a preamplifier, it is ~1/9th, or ~-19db lower, in a typical common cathode circuit. Even a regular 6dj8 can be designed for less distortion. By the way, using a computer program is not going to get you where you want to go.

The sim was just that, an investigation in trying to gage ball-park performance of different drivers in different configs. Never built or measured said circuit. The 6922 is almost identical to the 6dj8 but there’s no accounting for the computer model’s accuracy. This I am fully aware of.

A plate choke is the last part one should use in a design. The impedance varies with frequency, the load line becomes elliptical, distortion increases. The gain is not flat. To keep phase shift between stages minimal, the frequency response (FR) needs to be at least 1/10th the lowest frequency reproduced, -3db. An inductor is not going to make it if one wishes an accurate/natural copy of the input signal.

The plate choke was mentioned along with CCS loads as a means to a flat load line and its resultant benefits. I grant you that cascoded BJT/MOSFET devices and gyrators might give better results and they’re cheaper to implement too. As far as choke phase shift goes, it can be a bit of a problem, but mainly when global feedback is used; otherwise not much of an issue. You surely realize that coupling and cathode bypass caps of which there many in most amps, all introduce phase rotations and that their effects are additive. Right?

Simulation is not a good method, I actually measure. See above for other problems with inductors and the load line. It certainly is not flat through out the frequency range needed.

Not much of an argument here. As I answered this above, simulation is for preliminary investigation of a design, while measurements are essential in validating the design.

Secondly, using a poor circuit will give a very poor distortion measurement, as your distortion figures corroborates what I stated in my previous post; two stages of distortion with the 300b. I use a gain stage that produces less than 0,05% HD at 50 volts peak, or 100 volts peak to peak. That is being conservative as I list my entire amp's total THD at .05% at 1 watt.

Again, it wasn’t a ‘design’, it was a single stage set-up (with a resistive load) and it stopped there. Kudos to you (and I mean this sincerely) for designing a driver stage with such a low HD figure. I hope though, that the irony is not lost on you, of the fact that such a good driver doesn’t really matter much in an amp that uses global feedback. Because the fact is that even a driver with 10 times higher distortion, will be swamped and have its non-linearities corrected by said feedback.

Who told you that? We have problems wsith that statement. The 1st problem being higher orders are produced. Secondly, each tube will have wildly varying harmonics, and their individual amplitudes vary, as shown, from Eimac. Besides that, the distortion of the 1st stage is usually quite low vs the output stage, so cancellation is minimal. If someone increases the distortion of the 1st stage in an attempt to cancel 2nd order distortion, then higher order harmonics with greater amplitude will also result. I think someone(s) has been feeding you a line. Now check out this graph from Eimac.
See how the harmonic distortion amplitude constantly changes with signal level. Notice the graph is for 3rd, 5th, and 7th harmonics of a perfect tube.
Most, including DIYers, have been duped. See above.

I was careful in saying that the second and maybe the third harmonics can be reduced with this cancelation method and I also never claimed total cancellation, just reduction – big difference.  Higher order products will, as you say, be created - never said anything to the contrary here either. But I fail to see your point here, simply because I don’t buy into your argument of ‘substantially increased’ driver distortion in the case of the DHT. Based on what I’ve seen from tests of drivers at both 50V and 75V peak one way swings, the term ‘substantial increase’, does not hold true.

Both power tube types will produce these higher harmonics in combination with the driver as per the Eimac text you cited – this I never denied. However, and I’ll keep repeating this, the DHT has the advantage of less higher order harmonics created within its own gain-stage. That’s actually true for all distortion components –from the 2nd to however high you want to go.

Having said all this, the main burden that the driver of a DHT faces (and which surprisingly you haven’t mentioned), is the driving of the triode’s shunt capacitance. The charging and discharging of the Miller capacitance is the cause behind most of the mediocre sounding DHT amps out there, rather than the exaggerated claims of ‘greatly’ increased distortion due to the driver. Overcoming C-Miller requires both a low impedance driver AND high currents. An e88cc running at 5-6mA will not cut it, even though its output impedance might be relatively low and its distortion even lower.

Now, before you come back to me citing calculations for slewing, that indicate slewing to not be an issue going past 100 KHz with even a 12AX7 as the driver, I'll say yes, but the subjective results are really not in line with the theory here.

Those 300bs and 6SN7 types must be out of this world if they don't produce any distortion products higher than 2nd order.

Stop twisting my words and exaggerating for effect. I never claimed that these tubes don’t have ‘any’ distortion products; only that they produce less of them, particularly high order ones.

As we have seen, that statement is completely false, except for those manufacturers who do not understand how to properly design an amplifier.
That is completely, 100% false. See the above Eimac graph. The only thing one will obtain is sporadic, limited cancellation at best. Gain does not factor into the equation at all, none. The real problem are the IMD products created, because they are dissident, not part of the music. Rid the first stage of HD and the amp output will have much less IMD.

You are overstating the contribution of the higher order harmonics in the creation of IMD. IMD is mostly created by the low order products that are usually much larger in amplitude as compared to the higher order ones. In properly designed amps/stages, the higher components are much below the low order components (those HD products from say the 2nd to the 5th harmonic). These higher harmonics are in the order of -40 to -60 dB or even less, below the 2nd and 3rd components. Their contribution to IMD is simply too small. That is a fact. That’s not to say that they are unimportant; quite the contrary. Higher order HD products are highly dissonant to the human ear and their elimination should be a top priority. But I’ll repeat, not because of their capacity to create IMD in any meaningful way in a competently designed amp.

As mentioned earlier, the gain of each tube has no bearing whatsoever over the distortion figure; it is the actual distortion figures of each stage that count. If the gain of the 1at stage is .1%, and the 2nd stage gain is 10, that 0,1% distortion figure does not rise by 10 times to 1%. You see, the signal level also rose by 10 times, the distortion remains at 0,1%. 

I’ll use your own words: that is completely, 100% false. You are conveniently ignoring the anti-phase term with grave consequences in your ‘reasoning’. Would inverse phase be a better term?

If the cancelation of two opposite in phase signals is bogus, then you’re basically negating the concept of inverse a.k.a neg feedback. You do realize that both Schade feedback and the anode follower use this exact mechanism, right? That’s local feedback from plate to grid using that very same inversion inherent to the operation of the common cathode stage. Are those schemes a figment of my imagination too? Don’t think so.

Output distortion of two stages.
The harmonics of two stages multiple, 2nd harmonic of the 1st stage and 2nd harmonic of the 2nd stage will produce 4th harmonic.
2nd and 3rd will produce 6th order harmonic,
3rd and 3rd will produce 9th order harmonic.
5th and 2nd will produce 10th order harmonic.
5th and 3rd will produce 15th order harmonic.
By the way, I already use a gain stage that has at least 1/12 the THD (-21.5db) of your CCS gain stage example. Using the correct design is all important in reproducing accurate/natural music. I have tested my amps for sonic accuracy with actual sophisticated listening tests, so I know. Using a computer program will not help you much.

I will not disagree in that listening should be the final arbiter.

Just because a "number of people" do not understand principles of audio designing does not mean others do not understand.

This has nothing to do with the understanding or non-understanding of any principles. The logical conclusion to your above statement, would then be that non-technical audiophiles cannot discern good sound from bad. Subjective opinion on sound is based on the sensory and mental perception of the individual and definitely not predicated upon the subject's understanding of any “design principles”. This should be self-evident.

You are walking a fine line here IMHO, with your emphasis on THD numbers and your attempt to link this to perceived sound quality. If so, what would this say about your amp when compared to a solid state design that has .0005% THD, a number that’s two orders of magnitude better than your amp? How would you answer someone that told you that XYZ SS amp sounded better than your amp because it has 100 times less distortion than your design?  I would reconsider the above statement if I were you.

Actual setup listening tests to identify how accurate an amp or preamplifier is does not lend itself to being subjective. If their opinions are subjective, so be it. If you wish to make this a subjective vs subjective, it would seem to me that your initial post has become naked.

Don’t know where this last sentence came from. Seems kind of arbitrary, as I never so much as tried to make this into a subjective vs. objective sort of argument. In addition, if you think that actual tests take the subjectivity out of the equation, then with all due respect, this is a delusional stance. This is a whole other topic which I don’t care to discuss at this point, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

So what spl can be obtained and still be clean, with 1 to 3 watts audio output? Need a subwoofer? How much compressed air distortion in the horn throat. Afterall, compressed air is not linear. Lot's of concerns when it comes to high efficiency speakers.

Again, speakers are another subject onto themselves and so I’ll just briefly touch on this topic. When we talk about high efficiency speakers, it’s mostly about horns (although there are notable exceptions) and with sensitivities above 100dB/W it’s almost exclusively the domain of horns. I’ll say this: no matter what the faults of horns may be, they have substantially lower IMD distortion than direct radiators.

Again, my amp has less than .05% THD at 1 watt, not just the first stage.
Sorry, but the JJs E88cc are some 19 db less THD, at least 1/9th the distortion, of any 6SN7 type etc. The output tubes I use also have very low distortion. I ought to know, I have been testing/electronics and tubes for some 55 years.

Don’t have to spare my feelings as far as the 6SN7 is concerned. I never claimed the 6SN7 to be superior to the JJ E88CC although I’ve seen it being superior to other 6922/6DJ8 tubes. I only claimed that these two tube types were low in distortion. I can’t vouch for this since I never personally performed any meaningful tests on the 6SN7, but Lynn Olson who has, claims that this tube produces exceedingly low upper harmonic products; something to be mindful of as I’ve stated prior.

I know mine are near perfect, if not perfect, and I am using KT-88s.

I have no problem with this statement – it’s your perception and I take it at face value. What I objected to originally was your statement implying that DHT’S are sub-optimal for a world class design, or something to that effect. Mind you, I am not wedded to any particular DHT - I currently don’t have an amp that uses one, but nevertheless, I don’t like subjective opinions being stated as facts.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2017, 04:52 pm by sonicboom »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm »
Thread moved to Quarantine from Path of Least Resistance to clean up the off topic posts.  I sent a note to Admin to give the off topic posts their own thread as they are pretty interesting.

Steve

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2017, 12:21 am »
I so much as said this, by my mention of using constant current sources to flatten the load line and reduce distortion to a minimum.

But choke/inductors do not flatten the load line.

The sim was just that, an investigation in trying to gage ball-park performance of different drivers in different configs. Never built or measured said circuit. The 6922 is almost identical to the 6dj8 but there’s no accounting for the computer model’s accuracy. This I am fully aware of.

Good, because there are differences between 6SN7s of different manufacturers. Also for industrial equivalents of different manufacturers.
The plate choke was mentioned along with CCS loads as a means to a flat load line and its resultant benefits. I grant you that cascoded BJT/MOSFET devices and gyrators might give better results and they’re cheaper to implement too. As far as choke phase shift goes, it can be a bit of a problem, but mainly when global feedback is used; otherwise not much of an issue. You surely realize that coupling and cathode bypass caps of which there many in most amps, all introduce phase rotations and that their effects are additive. Right?

Only partial correct. Plate chokes are quite inferior as I mentioned in my previous post. Please read it again. And SS devices as CCS are also detrimental to sonics. SS will mess the sound up from the ultimate.

Not much of an argument here. As I answered this above, simulation is for preliminary investigation of a design, while measurements are essential in validating the design.

Thank you for agreeing. Much appreciated.

Again, it wasn’t a ‘design’, it was a single stage set-up (with a resistive load) and it stopped there. Kudos to you (and I mean this sincerely) for designing a driver stage with such a low HD figure. I hope though, that the irony is not lost on you, of the fact that such a good driver doesn’t really matter much in an amp that uses global feedback. Because the fact is that even a driver with 10 times higher distortion, will be swamped and have its non-linearities corrected by said feedback.

Global negative feedback has  major drawbacks.

1.   When listening tests are performed, even with small amounts of global negative feedback the sound stage tends to collapse.
2.   Higher orders of harmonic distortion is created unless either very small amounts of feedback or extremely high amounts of feedback is used. However, as mentioned earlier, huge amounts collapses the sound stage.
3.   Unless the amp has very high open loop feedback, THD rises due to incomplete harmonic cancellation.

Below is an article from Nelson Pass exploring how global negative feedback affects the musical signal.

I was careful in saying that the second and maybe the third harmonics can be reduced with this cancelation method and I also never claimed total cancellation, just reduction – big difference.  Higher order products will, as you say, be created - never said anything to the contrary here either. But I fail to see your point here, simply because I don’t buy into your argument of ‘substantially increased’ driver distortion in the case of the DHT. Based on what I’ve seen from tests of drivers at both 50V and 75V peak one way swings, the term ‘substantial increase’, does not hold true.

The problem is any cancellation is sporadic at best. The second problem is that higher orders of harmonics with greater amplitude are created. This is because one is purposefully increasing the gain stage harmonics to attempt to negate the output stage harmonics. I prefer virtually zero harmonic distortion from the previous gain stage(s). By the way, my amps are two stage (I don’t count the OPT as a stage, but I suppose it could be considered by some.)

You mentioned 1%, my gain stage is less than 0,05% (Actually the vast majority of THD is in the output stage, but I am being very very conservative.)  At least 20 times less. 1% is only -40db down, .05% is -66db down. Again, that is very conservative.

Both power tube types will produce these higher harmonics in combination with the driver as per the Eimac text you cited – this I never denied.

Actually the Eimac graph is for one tube, not mulitples. I was the one who used the example that the gain stage(s) distortion combined with the output tube will also create higher order of harmonics.

However, and I’ll keep repeating this, the DHT has the advantage of less higher order harmonics created within its own gain-stage.
That’s actually true for all distortion components –from the 2nd to however high you want to go.

I would like actual proof of such. Even if it is slightly better, what good is it if one cannot drive the tube properly. The whole circuit has to be analyzed since the 300b input causes such a mess. (The Eimac graph pretty much describes what all triodes and triode strapped tubes do.) The KT88 amps in PP measures a conservative .05 % distortion at 1 watt. And the PP amp can be designed to be completely accurate ot the input, via special listening tests.

Having said all this, the main burden that the driver of a DHT faces (and which surprisingly you haven’t mentioned), is the driving of the triode’s shunt capacitance. The charging and discharging of the Miller capacitance is the cause behind most of the mediocre sounding DHT amps out there, rather than the exaggerated claims of ‘greatly’ increased distortion due to the driver. Overcoming C-Miller requires both a low impedance driver AND high currents. An e88cc running at 5-6mA will not cut it, even though its output impedance might be relatively low and its distortion even lower.

The E88cc should easily drive the 300bs since it does flawlessly with my 6550/KT88s, which has a higher Miller capacitance, (input and stray capacitances rather minor) than your 300b. Maybe the E88cc design was poor.

Now, before you come back to me citing calculations for slewing, that indicate slewing to not be an issue going past 100 KHz with even a 12AX7 as the driver, I'll say yes, but the subjective results are really not in line with the theory here.

I never mentioned the pathetic 12AX7? It can hardly hold its own weight at 20khz, let alone 100khz. Add a following stage to the 12AX7 output, and it basically falls on its face.

You are overstating the contribution of the higher order harmonics in the creation of IMD. IMD is mostly created by the low order products that are usually much larger in amplitude as compared to the higher order ones. In properly designed amps/stages, the higher components are much below the low order components (those HD products from say the 2nd to the 5th harmonic). These higher harmonics are in the order of -40 to -60 dB or even less, below the 2nd and 3rd components. Their contribution to IMD is simply too small. That is a fact. That’s not to say that they are unimportant; quite the contrary. Higher order HD products are highly dissonant to the human ear and their elimination should be a top priority. But I’ll repeat, not because of their capacity to create IMD in any meaningful way in a competently designed amp.

The Eimac graph applies to all triodes/strapped triodes.
2nd harmonic combines with 3rd to produce 6th, and 3rd combines with 3rd to produce 9th. 5th and 3rd combines for 15th.

Here is a graph of the 300b, distortion vs power output with various plate loads.

Distortion seems a little high even at only 6.5 watts output, 4% THD, 11% IMD. AT 7 watts out, 5% THD and 14% IMD. True, with higher plate voltages, the distortion will lower a little. My 6550/KT88 SE amps are rated 7 watts output at 2.5% THD, 7% IMD at 400 volts. Of course, my spec. is conservative.

I’ll use your own words: that is completely, 100% false. You are conveniently ignoring the anti-phase term with grave consequences in your ‘reasoning’. Would inverse phase be a better term?

Nope, as I clearly mentioned in a previous post.

First, the gain stage has too little distortion to cancel the 2nd, output stage. Increasing this distortion also increases the higher order harmonic amplitude.

Secondly, IMD is increased immensely by increasing the 1st gain stage distortion. I would much rather have higher 2nd order products vs higher amplitude IMD products.       

Thirdly, as per Eimac’s graph, you are not going to cancel that much unless the 1st and 2nd gainstages match in distortion products. The biases are quite different, -8 volts vs -60 volts. The 3rd, 5th, 7th distortion products change vs signal drive, as Eimac’s graph demonstrates. Hence, the higher orders will not cancel. So now one is attempting to cancel 2nd, 4th, 6th, while increasing the 3rd, 5th, 7th harmonics.

As one increases the number of instruments and natural harmonics, the IMD products increase nearly exponentially.

If the cancelation of two opposite in phase signals is bogus, then you’re basically negating the concept of inverse a.k.a neg feedback. You do realize that both Schade feedback and the anode follower use this exact mechanism, right? That’s local feedback from plate to grid using that very same inversion inherent to the operation of the common cathode stage. Are those schemes a figment of my imagination too? Don’t think so.
I have used it myself, but there is a huge difference.

1.   One difference is that you are using one tube, and applying the plate back to its own grid. As such, one does not have to worry about the Eimac graph differences of two different tubes. That might be why some tubes “sound” better than other tubes when mating with the output tubes.

2.   Secondly, global negative feedback negates, by a huge margin, the largest, dominant, distortion producer, the output stage. So in essense, global negative feedback is simply plate to grid negative feedback of the output stage. Of course, unless the feedback is small or very large, higher orders of harmonics are produced. I use no global negative feedback.

3.   As mentioned several times now, if the distortion of the 1st gain stage is raised to cancel the output stage, one is also raising the other harmonics as well, creating higher amplitudes of higher harmonics, and higher amplitude IMD products. There is no free lunch.

I will not disagree in that listening should be the final arbiter.

I am glad to read such. That is also my final proof, that my amps are very truthful to the input signal, preamplifier as well. What I do is objective, can’t get any better than that.

This has nothing to do with the understanding or non-understanding of any principles. The logical conclusion to your above statement, would then be that non-technical audiophiles cannot discern good sound from bad. Subjective opinion on sound is based on the sensory and mental perception of the individual and definitely not predicated upon the subject's understanding of any “design principles”. This should be self-evident.

Not at all. The logical conclusion is that unless one’s amplifier (system) is truly accurate, the source, the preamplifier, amplifier, the speaker, venue, one will never obtain the ultimate accuracy nor naturalness in the recording. Most only have their auditioned components as a paradyme. Most don’t know what is the ultimate because they have not auditioned it yet, can’t afford it, or can only listen to what others proclaim.

In order to obtain that supreme naturalness, understanding “design principles” is absolutely necessary for the designers, which virtually none exhibit. Designing is more than solving a few equations. The question most contemplated is, what quality one can live with.

You are walking a fine line here IMHO, with your emphasis on THD numbers and your attempt to link this to perceived sound quality. If so, what would this say about your amp when compared to a solid state design that has .0005% THD, a number that’s two orders of magnitude better than your amp? How would you answer someone that told you that XYZ SS amp sounded better than your amp because it has 100 times less distortion than your design?  I would reconsider the above statement if I were you.

I don’t over emphasize specs, but there is definitely some correlation. 300b, 11% at 2 watts output is obviously quite high. If not, then the 6550 has excellent since its figure is almost a decade less.

You do not know me well, but I always emphasize listening testing as the final judge, just as the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook suggests. However, with decades of experience one can tell what specs are causing a problem vs the input signal. I am dealing with 1 part in some 200,000 in my own speaker, so I am really into the nitty gritty.

I find a lower distortion tube is more difficult to work with than a higher distortion tube. For example, a Bugleboy with 0,1% THD is easier to work with than a JJ with 0,011%. (0,1% is only around -60db while 0,011% is around -79db from the fundamental.) Designing has to be just right.

Don’t know where this last sentence came from. Seems kind of arbitrary, as I never so much as tried to make this into a subjective vs. objective sort of argument. In addition, if you think that actual tests take the subjectivity out of the equation, then with all due respect, this is a delusional stance. This is a whole other topic which I don’t care to discuss at this point, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

I quoted your comment that led to my conclusion. Delusional? Special listening testing vs input signal is quite objective but I know of no designers who do such. The output either sounds like the input, or adjustments need to be made. I have been quite successful in my designs and adjustments.

Again, speakers are another subject onto themselves and so I’ll just briefly touch on this topic. When we talk about high efficiency speakers, it’s mostly about horns (although there are notable exceptions) and with sensitivities above 100dB/W it’s almost exclusively the domain of horns. I’ll say this: no matter what the faults of horns may be, they have substantially lower IMD distortion than direct radiators.

Maybe, maybe not as compressed air in the throat creates distortion, frequency range needs to be precise etc. Depends upon the design and spl. After hearing some expensive horns, I have liked some to a degree, but, as you say, there are always trade offs.

Don’t have to spare my feelings as far as the 6SN7 is concerned. I never claimed the 6SN7 to be superior to the JJ E88CC although I’ve seen it being superior to other 6922/6DJ8 tubes. I only claimed that these two tube types were low in distortion. I can’t vouch for this since I never personally performed any meaningful tests on the 6SN7, but Lynn Olson who has, claims that this tube produces exceedingly low upper harmonic products; something to be mindful of as I’ve stated prior.

That is why one alters the load/loadline, to alter the harmonic structure.

I have no problem with this statement – it’s your perception and I take it at face value. What I objected to originally was your statement implying that DHT’S are sub-optimal for a world class design, or something to that effect. Mind you, I am not wedded to any particular DHT - I currently don’t have an amp that uses one, but nevertheless, I don’t like subjective opinions being stated as facts.

I know one thing, I will take 1.2% or less IMD at one watt (6550) over 11% IMD at two watts (300b) any day.

I objectively arrive at conclusions via much, special listening testing vs the input signal. It took some time to develop. Does the output of the preamplifier match the input/source signal via special listening testing? Does the amplifier output match the input signal via listening testing? This is different than simply reviewing an installed product. I know of no one who performs the sophisticated listening tests needed to produce an accurate/natural sounding product. If mine are accurate, then whatever IMD is present is not a factor, at that particular output wattage.
As a result, I know of no designer who knows how accurate their individual components actually are, in absolute terms.

Cheers. Have a great weekend.

Steve
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2017, 09:34 pm by Steve »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2017, 01:38 am »
While I think that it was good to split the posts about tube circuit design from an interconnect thread.
All of my posts were about interconnects, I have no interest in tube circuit design.

richidoo

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2017, 02:25 am »
While I think that it was good to split the posts about tube circuit design from an interconnect thread.
All of my posts were about interconnects, I have no interest in tube circuit design.
PM sent :)

belle harbor

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2017, 12:27 pm »
This is an excellent discussion worthy of consideration and can be debated until the cows come home. However, in the final analysis, it really makes no difference to the end user of an amplifier.

In my nearly 60 years of working with tube audio I have found that it is always the listener's ears which make the final determination of an amp design.  If I had a nickel for every time a person actually preferred more than less distortion I could have retired 40 years ago.  Since my work has always been custom (for local audio enthusiasts), and having access to their systems,  I've had the luxury of involving them in the design process.  Imagine going nuts trying to get the distortion figures of an amp to be exceedingly low only to be told that they preferred the sound when the distortion was higher!  And, obviously, it's always about the synergy between the amp and a given pair of speakers.  One only needs to look at the very popular Darling 1626 amp by Danielak as an example.  In spite of its high distortion, it is one of the best loved SET designs out there. 

Regarding using fb with SEP designs, I have never liked or used global fb.  I've found that much better results can be obtained by using some voltage fb at the output tube(s) only.  Just my personal bias (pun intended) on this issue. 

Steve

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2017, 11:57 pm »
This is an excellent discussion worthy of consideration and can be debated until the cows come home. However, in the final analysis, it really makes no difference to the end user of an amplifier.

In my nearly 60 years of working with tube audio I have found that it is always the listener's ears which make the final determination of an amp design.  If I had a nickel for every time a person actually preferred more than less distortion I could have retired 40 years ago.  Since my work has always been custom (for local audio enthusiasts), and having access to their systems,  I've had the luxury of involving them in the design process.  Imagine going nuts trying to get the distortion figures of an amp to be exceedingly low only to be told that they preferred the sound when the distortion was higher!  And, obviously, it's always about the synergy between the amp and a given pair of speakers.  One only needs to look at the very popular Darling 1626 amp by Danielak as an example.  In spite of its high distortion, it is one of the best loved SET designs out there. 

Regarding using fb with SEP designs, I have never liked or used global fb.  I've found that much better results can be obtained by using some voltage fb at the output tube(s) only.  Just my personal bias (pun intended) on this issue.

Good points to ponder belle, as our posts have gotten long. Just to remind, or those who did not understand, or did not read our entire posts, we recognized that ultra low distortion is not needed. I have proven that with my own designs and distortion figures. However, 14% IMD is high and perceptible, and is not considered world class by the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook, 1960, by 26 engineers. My main point is that DHT tubes are not necessary for the best sonics, not by a long shot.

Real music lovers are coming to learn that for optimum synergy/naturalness, preamp, amp, and speakers need to be designed "in house", in some manufacturing circles called "vertical integration". With the preamplifier, amplifier, and speakers matched, musical reproduction reaches new heights in naturalness. I am a firm believer that all speakers should have adjustments to optimally match the venue to said audio system. That is my current project, and with amazing success.

I am sure there are plenty of individuals who wish to artificially flavor, have sonic signatures, to their own liking. That is their decision. I am posting for those who wish optimal, amazingly accurate and natural reproduction, with very few compromises. Besides that, much more output power is available for more speaker choices.

I also never liked global feedback (gf) in any system due to the problems it causes.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm by Steve »