Just ordered an HD AVA

halo777

Just ordered an HD AVA
« on: 7 Jan 2017, 08:35 am »
So, I just ordered an Nuprime HD AVA.  I also have an Nuforce IA18 sitting in a box waiting to be hooked up.

Why did I order the HD-AVA?  I needed a DAC, and after deep interwebinvestigation I settled on the DAC-10.  Logically, I probably should have just purchased a DAC-10 in matching sliver to sit beside the IA18.  But, I am a sucker for a good deal, and when I saw that the HD AVA had an integrated DAC 10, and was priced just a few hundred more than the DAC10, I jumped on it.

My concern now is this... I want to us the IA18 as the amp for music coming from the USB Audio RCA output on the HD ASA, for the best SQ.
  • Can I configure the internal amp on the HD ASA to power a center channel speaker, for HDMI input?  Or is it hardcoded to L&R main?
  • When I use the USB Audio and corresponding RCA output to go to the IA18, do I have to have speakers hooked up to the L&R mains on the HD-AVA to avoid buzzing?  Apparently this was an issue on certain Nuforce/Nuprime amps
  • When utilizing the USB Audio RCA outs to the IA18, if there are speakers attached to the L&R mains on the HD-AVA, can I have them silenced?
  • Is it even worth it to send the output to IA18 for better SQ, or should I just use the internal amp on the HD-AVA?  The IA-18 looks like an amazing product, so I feel bad not utilizing it.

halo777

Re: Just ordered an HD AVA
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:14 am »
Still waiting for my HD AVA to ship!

While Ill admit to being impatient, most companies will have your product shipped within a few business days.  Thursday will be the fourth since payment sent, so hopefully wont be too much longer.

halo777

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:47 pm »
Just got news... it is being shipped today !!!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2017, 02:07 pm »
Great to know you are getting the new toy soon! Looking forward to your review of the installed product.

I'm very sorry you have had no input regarding your concerns.  Until someone with actual experience with the AVA comes along, I can only comment on the last point:

...Is it even worth it to send the output to IA18 for better SQ, or should I just use the internal amp on the HD-AVA?  The IA-18 looks like an amazing product, so I feel bad not utilizing it.

If you already have the IA18 (which I agree, looks great from the reviews), I believe it would be a fun experiment to try them both and just decide which is to your preference?

If you prefer the NuPrime's stage, you can sell the IA.  If, on the other hand, the AVA used as a PRE and the IA as an AMP yields better results, you already have all the hardware to produce great sound!  I actually envy you a little :) LOL!

Let us know how it turns out, best regards,
Rafa.

halo777

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2017, 04:33 am »
Thanks for the tip!

May be a little while, as we are just moving into a new house.  But Ill report back once I get everything setup.

halo777

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:57 am »
So, the new HD AVA is hooked up.  Performing a true A to B test is a little tricky, as it requires rewiring of the speakers and input devices.

My first impression:

• Sound was very clear and detailed
  • lacked some bass compared to the well used IA 18

I have been burning it in during the days with low volume tuner input.  Have not done a recent A to B test.  However, my current impression after about 150 hours of burn in:

• Still very impressed by the detail in the sound
  • Not fatiguing to the ears, at all.  When you have such clarity, you dont need to play as loud to get the same level of listening pleasure
  • I cant comment on the really deep bass, as my new (to me) speakers dont go super low (focal be 927)
  • bass, in general, has seemed to improve significantly.  Ill need an A to B test with the IA 18 following burn in, to confirm
  • There is a wonderful 'airy' feeling, if that makes any sense.  Like the separate musical pieces are floating in the air.
  • bass has a fullness and punch to it.  And doesnt seem to muddy the mids and highs in the least

Bottom line, I absolutely love the HD AVA.  It is not really the most user friendly, but that is not high on my priority list.  Im just blown away by the basic performance of 2 channel stereo, and will get to all the other bells and whistles later, when I have time to play around.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2017, 06:56 pm »
It has the IDA-16 amp inside so it ought to sound too.