Powerplants with ST10 DAC10H

jeanpapi

Powerplants with ST10 DAC10H
« on: 25 Oct 2016, 02:23 pm »
Hi, i would like to know if anyone tried Powerplants like PS Audio or others to feed the ST10 DAC10H and what results did you get.

Is it worth it?

BR,

Jean.

SFDude

Re: Powerplants with ST10 DAC10H
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2016, 05:29 pm »
Curious about this as well. My wife is complaining about the direct plugging of amps to the wall and I could theoretically switch off the PowerPlant without drawing any current.

I'm also looking at the P5 and P10.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2016, 12:20 am »
I used a PPP for several years, but I found it tended to be overtaxed by power amps. Owners who used them for amps reported more reliability problems. I used it for sources only.
For sound as well as robustness under all conceivable loads, as well as lower cost, the Pi Audio Uberbuss works very well indeed with my ST-10. Improves the soundstage notably, even a bit more than the PS Audio. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2016, 09:23 pm »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2016, 10:03 pm »
Tripp-Lite makes good stuff. I have some Furman power conditioners that I use because I have some particularly dirty power in my house (bad enough that it makes transformers hum). I don't buy them expecting to make an "improvement", I get them to deal with problems in my power. If you don't have issues with power, then a simple surge protector should be all you'll need.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2016, 10:22 am »
Agree. power strip with noise filter is good enough.
Unless there is serious AC or noise (very rare in the USA), there is no need to maintain precise 110V for the electronics. The power supply does the regulation and convert to DC voltage internally anyway.  All the power amp has capacitor bank for instantaneous power supply for the amp.

jeanpapi

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2016, 07:14 pm »
Ok thank you. I think that I'd just saved some money on this ... . There are lots of reviews that suggest to buy one of this powerplants that improves the overall quality of the sound but I realize that is a waste of money.

I have the same issue with cables ... .

Thanks again.
Jean. 

SFDude

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2016, 04:27 pm »
I managed to play around listening between having a Tripp Lite and not having one connected to the ST-9s. The difference in my listening impressions are that the Tripp Lite robbed the music of impact and dynamics. Things are noticeably more better on the soundstage/imaging as a result.

I swapped it in and out for about 5 times before making the determination.

I went from having the Wall outlet -> Tripp Lite -> 2 x ST-9s   to going from Wall outlet -> 2 x ST-9s directly.

I swear I'm not imagining things. I'd prefer to power the amps on from the Tripp Lite knowing I have some protection on them but my ears/brain can't reconcile the loss of dynamics in the music.

What is everyone using to connect their NuPrime amps to these days?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2016, 05:51 pm »
I have a Furman Elite 20PFi (utterly overkill) and a SurgeX 1120.

seikosha

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2016, 06:00 pm »
I agree about the Tripp Lite comments.  It's been awhile since I've played with one but when I have, I always preferred the sound straight into the wall.

I do have a PS Audio P3 Powerplant and plug into that and it doesn't seem to take anything away from the music.

jeanpapi

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2016, 08:08 pm »
Seikosha, did you notice an improvement in sound using the Ps Audio P3? That is the powerplant i was considering.

Thanks,
Jean.

seikosha

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2016, 08:37 pm »
I've tried the P3 with quite a few amps and for me, it seems very amp dependent.  With some I definitely feel that the P3 adds something but with others, I don't feel I hear a tangible improvement.  I've never experienced a decrease in quality with the P3 and I can't say the same with other devices.

jeanpapi

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm »
Ok Thanks. I assume that you didn't try it with Nuprime amps.

Since I am looking for sound improvement I don't feel this device worth the investment or at least will try to hear the diference (if any) before purchase.

Thanks,
Jean.