Nuprime ST-10 issues... user error?

toddrhodes

Nuprime ST-10 issues... user error?
« on: 21 Aug 2015, 05:32 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post here. I have been involved with 2 channel and home theater systems in some fashion or another for about 17 years and honestly, I don't see HOW this could be user error but I'm also not so naive as to think I'm incapable of making a mistake.

So I purchased an ST-10 from wellpleasedav.com about three weeks ago. First off, they have been absolutely wonderful to work with and have done all they can to try and make this right so this is situation should not reflect poorly on them whatsoever, Mark specifically as he has been extremely responsive and empathetic to what has happened.

I had the ST-10 running for about 8 days, almost playing it constantly to burn in along with a new DAC. It was at very low to moderate volumes unless I was listening, at which point it came up to normal listening levels. I woke up a week ago Sunday (8/9 I believe) and didn't hear any music playing in my audio room and upon further investigation, the amp was powered off. I tried to power it back on and no dice. I unplugged it for half an hour and tried again, still nothing. Holding down the power button for 5 seconds didn't help either. So I contacted Mark who quickly arranged to have it shipped to the service center which is conveniently about 45 minutes from my house.

Fast forward to today and I received the amp back. It powers up but I have no sound at all. I've tried both SE and XLR inputs, bypassed the preamp completely (Dac SE output > Amp SE input), still no sound. If I plug my old amp in using the same power cable, RCAs, and speaker leads, I get sound right away.

The switch on the bottom is set to 115V and not 220V, I'm just not sure what else it could possibly be but I just find it hard to believe that I have a unit sent back from the Nuprime service center which has no audio output. I know it's possible just highly unlikely. Wasn't sure if there was anything else I should be considering here, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you!

Todd

rustydoglim

Re: Nuprime ST-10 issues... user error?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2015, 11:40 pm »
We don't know if the problem was actually fixed so the amp was sent back for diagnostic and a new amp will be sent to customer.  We heard that a power supply relay board has failed (probably due to some spike). The amp board itself has no problem. But it is better that we do a thorough diagnostic.

toddrhodes

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2015, 11:45 pm »
Got the new ST-10 today and even straight out of the box, this is such a killer amplifier. I was using a *reasonable* B&K amp before (105 x 5, only using two channels) but the ST-10 is just beyond it in every way. Efficiency, form factor, and far and away the sound. Sound just leaps out of the speakers with this thing but maintains detail, clarity, and speed. Whether I have Tool or Rachmaninoff playing, it's an absolute treat. And Nuprime did right by me, I absolutely believe that - thank you Rusty and company, it's going to be a long night with a lot of eardrum tickling this evening!

Best,
Todd

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2015, 01:30 pm »
Thanks!

This shows that having a company firmly behind the product is important. ST-10 and DAC-10/10H are market leading products.  The amp and DAC are highly reliable.  We initially had a weak surge protection in the new linear power supply module and spike could kill the power supply. If that happens we simply replace the power supply or in Todd's case, it is more efficient for us to just send him a new unit. 

NuPrime owns the manufacturing facility itself and has in-house R&D team. Very few brands could actually say that.

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2015, 02:09 pm »
How nice it is to hear a customer with a problem praise the dealer, Mark Sossa of Well Pleased AV, and the manufacturer, NuPrime, for their sympathetic reaction and quick response to solve the issue, Win, Win, Win!