IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

tomlinmgt

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #460 on: 24 Jan 2017, 05:38 pm »
I finally got around to trying out a few subs with my 1x pre out gain equipped IDA-8.  With an older AR 120w 12" sub I have to adjust output to around 70% to get to a level that's appropriately matched to my Klipsch Chorus II mains (101 db sensitivity) and with a pair of 100w Pioneer SW8-MkII subs I can't get them to match up with the mains even at full output.   I'll be using a pair of 12" DIY subs in the near future (300w plate amps for those should arrive next week) and I'm thinking they may have a better shot at getting to appropriate output without having to set the volume as high as I do on the 12"/120w  AR sub, but my concern is this...I will be running a DSspeaker Anti-mode digital room correction/bass management unit with those subs and my experience with using that DRC unit is that after it performs its filtering the sub gain has to be turned up to get to the sub(s) output to match the output prior to the application of the correction filter.  If I find I don't have sufficient headroom (at plate amp ouput) to accomplish this will I need to send my IDA-8 in to have the preout gain increased?  I should add that I intend to try the pre-outs for an outboard amp as well and the amp may or may not have adjustable gain.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #461 on: 24 Jan 2017, 05:43 pm »
Alternatively, you can try a small gain device inserted between the dsp and the sub amp (like an active DI box).

tomlinmgt

« Reply #462 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:20 pm »
Alternatively, you can try a small gain device inserted between the dsp and the sub amp (like an active DI box).

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been wondering if there's some sort of device out there that could boost gain in the signal path.  Is a unit such as this one along the lines of what you're suggesting?

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-di100-ultra-di-active-direct-box--248-730

John Casler

« Reply #463 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:49 pm »
It would seem that the "efficiency" of the Klipsch make you use a "lower Volume setting", so the voltage to the RCA outs is reduced.

Your options would then be:

1) Use less efficient speakers, or place a device in front of the speaker to reduce it's efficiency
2) Send the IDA-8 in for 2x or 3x voltage output
3) Amplify the RCA output to the sub

tomlinmgt

« Reply #464 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:57 pm »
It would seem that the "efficiency" of the Klipsch make you use a "lower Volume setting", so the voltage to the RCA outs is reduced.

Your options would then be:

1) Use less efficient speakers, or place a device in front of the speaker to reduce it's efficiency
2) Send the IDA-8 in for 2x or 3x voltage output
3) Amplify the RCA output to the sub

I was under the impression that the voltage at the RCA outs is fixed.  Is it actually variable with a maximum value (2v in my case) reached at a certain volume setting?

And would option #3 be accomplished with a device such as the active DI box suggested earlier?

John Casler

« Reply #465 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:59 pm »
Yes, RCA output voltage is variable with Volume Setting.

So, because your Klipsch require such a low setting the subs get a lower signal.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #466 on: 24 Jan 2017, 08:02 pm »
I ran into a si milar problem, I purchased a small 2-channel mixer that ups the voltage to your sub, you can dial in the sub through the mixer. Works great. :thumb:

tomlinmgt

« Reply #467 on: 24 Jan 2017, 08:27 pm »
I ran into a si milar problem, I purchased a small 2-channel mixer that ups the voltage to your sub, you can dial in the sub through the mixer. Works great. :thumb:

Excellent.  Which little mixer are you using?

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #468 on: 25 Jan 2017, 04:43 pm »
It is a Audio-Technica AM150 2 Channel Stereo Mixer

pixelmixture

« Reply #469 on: 27 Jan 2017, 10:13 pm »
one stupid question about the digitised analog input:

now that i realised that the analog input is digitised i find my setup a little bit awkward ...
macmini running audirvana, plugged to a meridian explorer 2 DAC  ( to benefit from the MQA files or craze ) plugged to the analog input of the ida8...

is the ida8 digitising process ruining the benefit of high res audio files ? (MQA or DSD or anything high res )

matt.w

« Reply #470 on: 1 Feb 2017, 04:53 pm »
Questions on the Display On/Off setting:

1. If the display is off, does it turn on temporarily when a volume or input change is made, and then go dark again?
2. Is the display on/off setting stored in memory, like input volume? If I turn the display off, will it stay that way even after powering off/on?

Thanks!

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #471 on: 1 Feb 2017, 07:23 pm »
is the ida8 digitising process ruining the benefit of high res audio files ? (MQA or DSD or anything high res )
Perhaps the better question is whether that high res you're buying isn't just a regular file that got resampled or even remastered along the way.

But really now, all music goes through many many adc/dac processes before it's even pressed into final copy. As long as each stage can process at the required level, you shouldn't be losing anything. 

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #472 on: 2 Feb 2017, 05:03 am »
I, for one, believe that pixelmixture's question is relevant and an interesting discussion.

If the hi-res files are or not really hi-res is a completely different discussion. Let's say they are, or at least will be at some point. Then, his question still stands unanswered!

I do believe that not being a 'true' analog amplifier, that re-digitizing could prove prejudicial. At least, a good computer using all its power to down sample to formats that the IDA-8 could understand may be a better resulting sound that the analog signal being digitized back by the ida.  This would take the meridian out of the equation.

Another route would be to get a true analog amplifier that does not re-digitize the signal.  That may prove more expensive, as it is taking the ida out of the equation, but buying new equipment.

If option A is the route, you would need to make sure that the best posible downsampling is being achieved.  If you leave it to a less-than-best algorithms, then you will ciertainly be loosing a lot of the hi-res files.

Good luck, let us know which route you took! Best regards,
Rafa.

pixelmixture

« Reply #473 on: 2 Feb 2017, 09:26 pm »
Perhaps the better question is whether that high res you're buying isn't just a regular file that got resampled or even remastered along the way.

But really now, all music goes through many many adc/dac processes before it's even pressed into final copy. As long as each stage can process at the required level, you shouldn't be losing anything.

most of these hires files are resampled files ... i know it ... but i also have hires files that i'm sure are not resampled ...
i was in the process of doing a blind test to see if i can really ear the difference between hires and CD quality ( macmini + meridian dac + ida-8 + sonus faber venere 2.0 ) than i realised that the IDA was digitizing what my MQA compatible dac was outputting .... 

oldzorki

« Reply #474 on: 14 Feb 2017, 03:26 pm »
I have a question re: USB input
Now I am feeding it with Windows PC, and have no problems with any audio, including 192/24 and DSD128.
But I am planning to switch to Linux-based PC (JRiver ID). I wonder if it will play viz USB? Anyone tried?

triumph

« Reply #475 on: 15 Feb 2017, 08:09 am »
I think it's a question better asked on JRiver forums, notably their Linux section..

oldzorki

« Reply #476 on: 17 Feb 2017, 02:28 pm »
I think it's a question better asked on JRiver forums, notably their Linux section..
Well, JRiver punted me to Nuprime, Nuprime punted me to Jriver forums. I guess I just have to buy their ID product (an integrated microPC with JRiver installed) and try.
I hate to be a guinea pig, but looks like it is the only option. Will report on results.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #477 on: 19 May 2017, 03:37 am »
Well, my used NuForce dda-100 died on me yesterday.  I brought it to the local distributor (who now carries NuPrime and is no longer carrying NuForce, as would be expected) and he is offering me a full refund on the dda-100 if I buy into an IDA-8.

Sounds like a good deal (although after local taxes the price is quite a bit above US MSRP).  So I am really deciding if I can and should put an extra US$1.500 (that's what it costs here) into the upgrade.

Obviously, the better AMP is a clear advantage.  I am worried about a couple things, some are not much of an issue, others could be deal breakers, so any input is really appreciated!

1. I have concerns about the Toslink input, of which I actually need two, as I have a Samsung TV and and airport express hooked optically to my current setup.  I would be using the toslink for the TV and using the Airport Express with analog until I can find a toslink to coaxial convertor (which I cannot find locally).

But I found this discussion: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26486-an-almost-comprehensive-nuprime-ida-8-amplifier-review/

Will I be able to use to actually USE the toslink or will it fail to acquire both my TV and my Airport Express?  What use is there in having equipment that is "... designed for high precision devices and we think that some Apple TV devices (this has been discovered with Airport Express) send lower level SPDIF signals then IDA-8 can sync up with..." if I cannot hook the standard equipment it will be used with?

Can someone confirm or deny using the toslink with regular home equipment and being able to work with it?  Or will it only work with 5K CD players?  I am really concerned here! :(

2.  My main source of Hi-Fi audio is a Raspberry Pi3 connected via USB to the USB B port.  This has worked flawlessly on my dda-100.  But again, here comes the 'very high class' USB on the IDA-8 that may or may not work with Linux, as talked everywhere.  Has someone had success connecting the Pi3 (specifically running Moode OS) to the IDA-8.

I am already sacrificing one toslink and would switch to analog from the airport express, and I am willing to sacrifice that for a better more fuller sound, as described everywhere.  But if EVERY input I intend to feed to the IDA is NOT going to work, then what's the point?

Please, help!

Thanks in advance.  Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #478 on: 22 May 2017, 06:58 am »
Since we are offering Pi3 with uDSD board as an integrated package (see other topic on this), the XMOS device driver works for Pi3 OS, so IDA-8 would work too.

Jye

« Reply #479 on: 22 May 2017, 09:16 am »
Tried the IDA-8 USB input with a PC (Daphile) and Rpi-3 (Rune and Volumio) with no issues at all. I believe Moode should work equally fine.