IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #480 on: 22 May 2017, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for the linux answer Jason and Jye,  great to hear that.

Jason, how about the toslink issue?  Have there been more signal issues with Apple equipments or is this more or less not an issue anymore?  Any success stories even if the official (and understandable) answer is "we can't assure good results"?

Thanks again,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #481 on: 28 May 2017, 12:02 am »
we haven't heard complain about Apple's optical output to IDA-8 for more than 6 months, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
The last time (about a year ago) when someone had this problem, he solved it by using an optical to coaxial converter. Basically if the optical signal is too noisy, IDA-8 can't sync with it (something like that, I don't know the technical details).

Sugeray

« Reply #482 on: 9 Jun 2017, 09:56 pm »
After reading The Absolute Sound review and as much as I could find online about the IDA-8, I bought it without an audition.  I had been set on a Music Hall a15.3 to go with my KEF Q300's and Project Carbon DC, but after burning in the IDA-8 and speakers together, I will not likely buy another amp again.  The sound is so good it reminds me of my first system (Pioneer tube amp, Avid 103's and Techics table -- OK, I am an old-timer -- I was in my 20's when I got that system in 1972).  Great new technology and the analog preamp is just the ticket even with the subsequent digitizing it sounds better than the other Class D digital amps I have heard.  The NuPrime IDA-8 is highly recommended by this dinosaur.

damguz

« Reply #483 on: 14 Jun 2017, 05:56 am »
+1

MFM72

• Life's too short & the End is nigh
« Reply #484 on: 18 Jul 2017, 02:41 am »
A quick question on the IDA-8, can it be used as a pre-amp?

John Casler

« Reply #485 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:08 am »
A quick question on the IDA-8, can it be used as a pre-amp?

Even though the Analog Outputs are labeled SUB, they are "full range" so yes the IDA-8 preamp/dac/volume control can be used with another amp.

However the DAC-9 ($749) is a FAR BETTER solution for that purpose.

srb

« Reply #486 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:18 am »
Even though the Analog Outputs are labeled SUB, they are "full range" so yes the IDA-8 preamp/dac/volume control can be used with another amp.

The IDA-8 webpage says the RCA outputs are 2V but the downloadable IDA-8 Manual says they are 6V, which could possibly be a bit too hot for some power amplifiers.  Which is it?

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #487 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:19 am »
The IDA-8 webpage says the RCA outputs are 2V but the downloadable IDA-8 Manual says they are 6V, which could possibly be a bit too hot for some power amplifiers.  Which is it?

Steve

The webpage is correct, except for only a few of the early IDA-8 built.

MFM72

« Reply #488 on: 19 Jul 2017, 04:27 pm »

However the DAC-9 ($749) is a FAR BETTER solution for that purpose.

Thanx for the reply.

How would the DAC-9 compare to the HPA-9 as a pre-amp?

John Casler

« Reply #489 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:53 pm »
Thanx for the reply.

How would the DAC-9 compare to the HPA-9 as a pre-amp?

For most Preamp/Source Switching/DAC purposes the DAC-9 would be best.

However, if you want a Phono Preamp, Headphone amp, and use a separate DAC, then the HPA-9 is for you

MFM72

« Reply #490 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:50 am »
For most Preamp/Source Switching/DAC purposes the DAC-9 would be best.

However, if you want a Phono Preamp, Headphone amp, and use a separate DAC, then the HPA-9 is for you

Thanks again for the input. Guess that'll be pairing i'll be goin for  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #491 on: 20 Jul 2017, 03:59 pm »
Here's what I did yesterday. [After reading my description (assuming my meaning is clear), please tell me if I've done something wrong or if there is a work-around.]

I'm auditioning a new R2R Ladder DAC. It is connected to my Mac Mini (late 2012/OSX Yosemite version 10.10.5) via USB. The DAC is connected to my IDA-8 via RCA ICs. Firmware is Amanero, but I don't know which version. It was uploaded to the DAC last night.

The sound comes out scratchy and bright. It's really unpleasant. I borrowed my sister's cheap Windows PC to use as source and there is no problem. Music sounds great!

What's going on here? Anyone?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Michael

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #492 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:26 pm »
What's the output level on the dac? If it's too hot, you might possibly be overloading the input stage.

mresseguie

« Reply #493 on: 20 Jul 2017, 09:59 pm »
I see 2.2v output on RCA and 4.4 XLR.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #494 on: 21 Jul 2017, 01:05 am »
I think the input stage tops out at 2V? (we'll have to wait for Jason to confirm)
So if you're overloading it, that certainly explains the poor sound and why the PC has no issues.

Is there a way to drop the output level on the dac? Or at least test by dropping the level in your playback software if possible. If that works, then you know the culprit.

mresseguie

« Reply #495 on: 21 Jul 2017, 03:10 pm »
Thanks for your idea. Based on other Denafrips DAC owners' experiences, it seems to be an Apple OSX and/or USB issue. Sometimes it is correctable by making changes in OSX versions; sometimes not. There is a known issue with 2014 USB settings(?) in Mac Minis.

I'm going to try connecting it to a brand new MacBookPro next week to see if it is compatible. Really, this whole experience is frustrating. I'm tempted to run out and buy a cheap Windows PC because I know it will work without a hitch. A new MacBookPro will set me back a helluva lot of cash.  :duh: [I had intended to buy a MacBookPro for other reasons before this happened.]

[Edit]
I decided it must be something to do with settings somewhere in my OSX, so I peeked into my 'Audio Midi Setup' 'Audio Devices' toolbox. Nothing appeared to be wrong, but I clicked on Combo384 Amanero anyway just to poke around. The format was set to its highest setting of 768000Hz. CD quality is 44100Hz, so I selected this just to try. Well, what do you know? My issue is fixed.
Now, I assume my output is limited to a max of 44.1kHz with this setting, but there are other settings which I can experiment with.

I've adjusted the format to 192000Hz with no discernible ill effects.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2017, 08:41 pm by mresseguie »

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #496 on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:08 am »
Congratulations, looks like you have got the issue nailed. I had always used Windows and had always set it to 192k. Well, it seems OIS is also same. Good thread to follow as I had just bought ida8 and sp one combo for my son.

Bwilson1

« Reply #497 on: 25 Aug 2017, 08:34 pm »
Hello,

IDA-8 owner here for over 2 years - great product

My question is I am considering purchasing a Bryston BDP-Pi digital file player and just wondering if there would be any issues with connecting it to the USB input on the IDA-8.

Thus far I have only used the Coax and Optical and I would like to utilize the USB input as the Toslink on the Bryston is limited to 24/96 while the USB and Coax are good for 24/192.

I already use the Coax input hence the desire to connect the BDP to the IDA-8 USB.

I am not computer savvy but I do believe the Bryston is running a modified Rasberry Pi hardware utilizing Bryston specific (Manic Moose) Linux firmware.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Eric

Phil A

« Reply #498 on: 2 Sep 2017, 12:59 pm »
Hello,

My question is I am considering purchasing a Bryston BDP-Pi digital file player and just wondering if there would be any issues with connecting it to the USB input on the IDA-8.

Thus far I have only used the Coax and Optical and I would like to utilize the USB input as the Toslink on the Bryston is limited to 24/96 while the USB and Coax are good for 24/192.

I already use the Coax input hence the desire to connect the BDP to the IDA-8 USB.

I am not computer savvy but I do believe the Bryston is running a modified Rasberry Pi hardware utilizing Bryston specific (Manic Moose) Linux firmware.

Eric

Don't know about any issues (and it is standard so there should not be) but (as you noted) Bryston has proprietary software. There are over 100 pages of posts on one topic alone - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119878.0     I've seen it but never used it.

I recently purchased a lightly used IDA-8 for the desktop system.  I use it with JRiver which I don't find overly difficult (I set up a friend about a month ago with a Musical Paradise DAC in minutes).  I downloaded the driver and hooked it up.  I have a couple of other (Windows 10) music servers in secondary systems and a Lumin U1 in the main system.  I do burn discs and extract DSD files on the main PC so I wanted something decent to hear music (the IDA-8 exceeded my expectations).

Setting it up with a computer usually involves at least having a display to start up the computer and then select the program (e.g. JRiver, Foobar, etc.).  With something like JRiver there are Apps that let one connect to your network and select the music without needing to look at the display.  Keep in mind something like the size of the display on the BDP Pi.  My Lumin has a display that will show the artist and song but one probably has to be within 8 feet of it to read it.  I use the Lumin App on my iPad mini (and I find their App very easy to use).

If one doesn't want to deal with computer issues, I assume you intend to hook the music server to a hard drive vs. an NAS?  Knowing how you intend to store music would be of help.  There are music servers with storage within (e.g. Aurender).

rustydoglim

« Reply #499 on: 11 Sep 2017, 04:06 pm »
Hello,

Eric

Why bother? NuPrime makes a Pi-9 product currently available for pilot release.  See the topic on Raspberry Pi in the NuPrime circle. It will be listed on www.nuoem.com under Custom section later this week. It has full support but not widely released.