IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

John Casler

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2015, 06:44 pm »
Does the sub out have adjustable crossover or lpf?

Not at this time. 

Most powered subs already have Low Pass Adjustability.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2015, 08:02 pm »
So John, You don't know if this can be controlled from a smart phone or ipad ?

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2015, 08:13 pm »
So John, You don't know if this can be controlled from a smart phone or ipad ?

Hi Greg,

I don't see how, since to use the iPHONE/iPAD control function you need to be sending and receiving via a Wireless Network.

So I am simply going by that.  The IDA-8 is not connected to a Wireless Network.

IF. . .that control function can be performed via the Bluetooth dongle, then maybe so.

RustydogLim will have to address that possibility or available function.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2015, 08:48 pm »
Hi Greg,

I don't see how, since to use the iPHONE/iPAD control function you need to be sending and receiving via a Wireless Network.

So I am simply going by that.  The IDA-8 is not connected to a Wireless Network.

IF. . .that control function can be performed via the Bluetooth dongle, then maybe so.

RustydogLim will have to address that possibility or available function.

Thank You John, Yes I was thinking blue tooth not wifi. I know a lot of low quality name brand rcvrs. use blue tooth now for controlling functions. I have an application for that but don't want to use those brands.

JackD

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2015, 09:05 pm »
Aren't most smartphones Bluetooth enabled?

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2015, 09:09 pm »

I think most of the newer ones are, but I can't say the IDA-8 supports the function to control via bluetooth.

Rustydoglim will know.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2015, 09:25 pm »

My old iPhone 4 has blue tooth and think all smart phones have it now, that's why I was curious. This product will fill a gap for me and a buddy who wants to control outdoor audio via smart phone.

rustydoglim

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2015, 10:52 pm »
Is it built in China?
Thanks

Taiwan.

rustydoglim

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2015, 10:57 pm »
IDA-8 has a custom digital port and comes bundled with a Bluetooth aptX dongle (digital in for best Bluetooth performance).  Later when the NuPrime multi-zone wireless receiver/streaming is available, it can be connected to this port. Obviously you can also connect Airport Express or other wireless receiver's optical output to IDA-8.

JackD

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2015, 11:38 pm »
greg

If you are talking about using iphone/ipad to control IDA-8 functions as a substitute to the supplied remote I would think it would require someone writing a app for it like with Xfinity cable and other companies that offer that feature. 

mr_bill

« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2015, 11:39 pm »
Does IPhone 6 Plus running latest IOS support aptx? Does anyone know?

srb

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2015, 11:53 pm »
Does IPhone 6 Plus running latest IOS support aptx? Does anyone know?

According to the aptX® website, there are no Apple products with this codec, but there are many models from the other manufacturers like HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.  aptX® Phones

Interestingly, there is only one phone listed as having "aptX® Low Latency", the Vertu Constellation (starting at $5600)!

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2015, 11:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure, any Bluetooth phone will work.

For that matter, if your laptop, computer, or iPAD has Bluetooth, that should also work.

I have used the NuFORCE BRT 100 which also has APT-X and it works find with any bluetooth enabled transmitter within range.

BTR-100

The IDA-8 is going to be similar.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2015, 03:00 pm »
greg

If you are talking about using iphone/ipad to control IDA-8 functions as a substitute to the supplied remote I would think it would require someone writing a app for it like with Xfinity cable and other companies that offer that feature.

JackD,

Yes, this is what I'm asking. Most of the name brand surround sound receivers offer this feature, I'd like to find a higher end 2 channel unit like this to do the same. John said he thinks it will work but it would be nice to know for sure. Rusty?

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2015, 03:44 pm »
JackD,

Yes, this is what I'm asking. Most of the name brand surround sound receivers offer this feature, I'd like to find a higher end 2 channel unit like this to do the same. John said he thinks it will work but it would be nice to know for sure. Rusty?

There's a difference between using Bluetooth technology to pass the audio signal from a phone, tablet or computer to the IDA-8 and NufPrime having an application for the phone, tablet or computer to control the IDA-8, e.g. control volume, switch inputs, change settins, etc. It clearly does the first but there is no indication of the second.

Let's see what Rusty says.

alligatorman

« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2015, 09:16 pm »
The Bluetooth connection is for streaming songs. The remote is for everything else. Wired connection will be ideal. Personally, I'm waiting to see if MQA can be streamed from my tablet through Tidal or if I need a new DAC.

rustydoglim

« Reply #36 on: 28 May 2015, 10:05 am »
The line (sub) out has 6V, i.e. 3X gain than the internal amp.  So that means you can crank up the sub without going full volume on your main speakers.

rustydoglim

« Reply #37 on: 28 May 2015, 10:10 am »
JackD,

I think you are talking about an App that replace the remote and control the Input Selection, Volume and On Off.  That would require that we build WiFi into the Amp, or have some sort of firmware to decode bluetooth command for the control panel.  This will complicate the design and perhaps change the performance.  I don't see much benefit for an App to control the IDA-8.  Sure, extra convenient perhaps. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2015, 05:34 pm »
I think you are talking about an App that replace the remote and control the Input Selection, Volume and On Off.  That would require that we build WiFi into the Amp, or have some sort of firmware to decode bluetooth command for the control panel.  This will complicate the design and perhaps change the performance.  I don't see much benefit for an App to control the IDA-8.  Sure, extra convenient perhaps.

Thank You Rusty, you are correct.

The idea was finding a solution for using the system to power outside speakers in the summer and being able to control volume or source selection from a smart phone.

Not having to be in "line of site" of the amp to control these functions like with an IR remote would be nice. Not to mention not having to carry around a remote in your pocket along with your phone which one would probably already have with them.

srb

« Reply #39 on: 28 May 2015, 05:44 pm »
You can get a home remote control hub which gets positioned in the house to have IR line of sight to your components (or not for your Bluetooth components), then relays the WiFi signal from your Android or IOS device to IR or Bluetooth commands.

There are quite a few of these devices available, including the Logitech Harmony Home Hub.

Steve