IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

John Casler

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #120 on: 9 Aug 2015, 05:35 pm »
I know this is a thread for the 8, but I just received the IDA-16 and absolutely love it.  I have one minor concern.  The owner's manual isn't much help regarding the analog outputs.  I figured they would be either fixed or variable to send to an external amp, but I'm not getting anything. 

When I listen to loudspeakers, I have an Audiophilleo 2 going into the IDA-16.  When I want to listen to headphones, I have to remove the AP2 from the 16, and hook it up to my Metrum Octave DAC which goes to my headphone amp.  I thought maybe the analog outputs of the 16 were fixed.  This way I can use the 16's DAC for everything and be done with it.  When using the analog outs going to my headphone amp, I got no sound from the headphones. 

I know about the home theater bypass feature (holding volumes up and down for three seconds).  So that's not it.

Any help?

The outputs are "variable".

mv

« Reply #121 on: 9 Aug 2015, 07:36 pm »
The outputs are "variable".

What does that mean?

John Casler

« Reply #122 on: 9 Aug 2015, 07:52 pm »
What does that mean?

It means that the output of the analog outs is controlled by the Volume Control of the IDA-16, unless you set it for HT, in which case it is fixed at full volume, no attenuation.

Inputs however have memory, and will retain the "last" volume setting on that specific input.

John Casler

Re: IDA-8 with a SUB
« Reply #123 on: 9 Aug 2015, 09:45 pm »
Finally got a chance to move one of my subs to the OFFICE and Bedroom System (15" Velodyne) and it is a WINNER.

I am now using a pair of B&W standmounts and now the 15" Velodyne.

it blends perfectly and adds a complete new dimension to the already good B&W mains.

I used a summing Y-adapter, and it was good to go   :thumb:

Little Jethro Tull (AguaLung) playing now via Bluetooth, and the bass line is clear and melodic.

I don't think my HT system will miss the Velodyne, since I have 7 additional subs still in it.  :lol:

JackD

« Reply #124 on: 9 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm »
John

I'm using mine with a pair of ACI Force XL's. Work great, but do have to be turned way down. 

dogma

« Reply #125 on: 14 Aug 2015, 11:05 pm »
I'm in the market for a dedicated desktop computer connected dac/amp and ideally it would not need to be manually turned on/off.

What is the IDA-8's idle power consumption?  Does it automatically go into standby after a period of no USB input?

John Casler

« Reply #126 on: 17 Aug 2015, 02:16 am »
I'm in the market for a dedicated desktop computer connected dac/amp and ideally it would not need to be manually turned on/off.

What is the IDA-8's idle power consumption?  Does it automatically go into standby after a period of no USB input?

I don't know about the power consumption, but there is no "automatic standby" on the IDA-8.

Standby would be when you turn it on or off via the remote, and not from the power switch on the rear, which turns off all power to the unit.

Metternich

« Reply #127 on: 17 Aug 2015, 06:39 am »
Any chance the IDA-8 wireless port will support existing SKAA USB dongles? TIA

rustydoglim

« Reply #128 on: 24 Aug 2015, 12:20 am »
Any chance the IDA-8 wireless port will support existing SKAA USB dongles? TIA

No

Genez

« Reply #129 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:20 am »

If its anything like other units I have had in my system?  Next to nothing.  At one point it had me wondering if my Furman Elite-15 DM i (which displays the AC current draw) was malfunctioning. I contacted Furman, and after they showed how to test it and was shown to be fine, said that its not normal compared to what they were used to seeing.  Even when not at idle!  :wink:  I think I may have even posted about it in this forum a while back.  Its that low. In good weather I leave mine on all the time. 

bobbob

« Reply #130 on: 24 Aug 2015, 01:03 pm »
Hello everybody.

I was interested on the question related to idle power draw. is it rather 10W or 1 W?

Also, I red reports about problems of the ida 16 on linux, is the ida 8 supposed to work on linux, by usb?

thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #131 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:53 pm »
Whether it works or not depends on the USB driver.  MacOS for example always support hi-res USB audio.
We have found that some NAS (running Linux) works for our DACs but we do not have the resource or expertise to support Linux.  Try at your own risk :)

bobbob

« Reply #132 on: 24 Aug 2015, 04:18 pm »
Hello
Not a very fair answer, but let me precise the question: does the ida8 use standard usb audio class 2?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #133 on: 24 Aug 2015, 05:54 pm »
"I was interested on the question related to idle power draw. is it rather 10W or 1 W?"

I must admit to having 'idle' curiosity over this question myself. Once I get settled in my new home in Taiwan with my new IDA-8, I'll try to either buy or borrow a meter that will show me how much power is drawn while it is in 'idle'. It seems to me this is an easily discoverable and/or easily tested problem, no?

It'll be about three weeks before I have time to seek out such a meter. I will post my findings here if someone else hasn't already posted it.

Michael

mrvco

« Reply #134 on: 25 Aug 2015, 02:45 am »
Is the DAC in the IDA-8 equivalent to what is offered by the uDSD?

JackD

« Reply #135 on: 25 Aug 2015, 04:09 am »
Yes, with different power supply.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #136 on: 25 Aug 2015, 05:49 am »
Yes, with different power supply.

Can anyone do a comparison of the IDA-8 Dac and other offerings they have tried. This is the only thing really holding me back as I think the Dac is such an important part of ones system and how it ultimately sounds.

mrvco

« Reply #137 on: 25 Aug 2015, 10:19 pm »
I'm not entirely sure how new this is, but today is the first day I saw it and it is a pretty interesting write-up on the IDA-8 from a NuPrime reseller in New Zealand:

http://www.totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_ida_8.html

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #138 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:09 pm »
I'm not entirely sure how new this is, but today is the first day I saw it and it is a pretty interesting write-up on the IDA-8 from a NuPrime reseller in New Zealand:

http://www.totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_ida_8.html

Well, that was a glowing review.

JackD

« Reply #139 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:51 pm »
greg

To "my ears" the dac in the IDA-8 sounds most similar to the Peachtree DAC-ITx in my office system.  This is not surprising as they use the "same" chip from different ESS families.  It is not to me up to the separate DAC-10 or W4S DAC-2.  To me the DAC was the least important part for the implementation it was bought for.  It needed to be simple to use and "non-tech" spouse friendly.  It does just happen to sound good too. Don't get me wrong the DAC is perfectly acceptable in a product of this type and price range, just don't expect it to be a "world beater."