IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #100 on: 24 Jul 2015, 11:47 pm »
Just picked up my unit from our Local agent Joel via Achim. We did a little listening to the one that Joel has had for a while and I was very impressed with what I heard, tried the Blue tooth via my phone and brought a smile to my face!

I will report back next week with a more detailed report.

Stu

Stuart,

What did you play from your phone, was in music on the phone or an outside source?

Thanks,

Greg

Stuart

« Reply #101 on: 26 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm »
Hi Greg,

I have some MPS songs that I enjoy and downloaded them from MP3 Downloader and streamed them direct from my phone to the IDA-8
I know MP3 is not the best quality to listen to, but the fun factor was un-measureable! Audio from my dedicated Hi res server is very, very good and at this price there is no competition.

pesto9

« Reply #102 on: 29 Jul 2015, 09:41 pm »
Hey Rustydoglim, I have a question about the analog input on the IDA-8. Is this port specifically tuned to only use a cd player as an input device? I have tried hooking my cable box up to it which produces an awful hum (no hum with my current amp, though, a cambridge audio ar30) and also my Schiit Bifrost which produces a significant crackling in the right channel when certain tracks with a high dynamic range are played. It works fine with a cd player. I have tested the same tracks with other amps, cables, etc, and made sure there are no ground looping problems. I was hoping to use the analog input for tv (it's my only option with the cable box i have) and optical for music. Any suggestions?

This is a bummer because it really sounds great otherwise, I don't want to have to return or sell it.

JackD

« Reply #103 on: 29 Jul 2015, 11:34 pm »
I tried three different Dacs into the analog inputs of the IDA-8 with no issues whatsoever.  They were the DAC-10, W4S DAC-2 and the Peachtree DAC-ITx.  Also used the Visa Phono I MkII set at 60 db and again no issue.  As to the cable box, mixing cable tv and audio is always a recipe for frustration.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Not necessarily the Nuprimes fault or the Cambridge's credit, just luck of the draw.  Can you take the audio signal from the TV itself either coax or optical and take the box out of the equation. 

mr_bill

« Reply #104 on: 29 Jul 2015, 11:55 pm »
I tried three different Dacs into the analog inputs of the IDA-8 with no issues whatsoever.  They were the DAC-10, W4S DAC-2 and the Peachtree DAC-ITx.  Also used the Visa Phono I MkII set at 60 db and again no issue.  As to the cable box, mixing cable tv and audio is always a recipe for frustration.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Not necessarily the Nuprimes fault or the Cambridge's credit, just luck of the draw.  Can you take the audio signal from the TV itself either coax or optical and take the box out of the equation.

Jack
How did the other Dacs compare to the internal fav in your IDA-8?

JackD

« Reply #105 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:53 am »
To "my ears" the DAC-10 was clearly superior, as would be expected.  The Dac in the 8 and the Peachtree sound the most similar.  They both are based on a "similar" chip from different ESS families, the 9010 and the 9023.  The W4S's edge would come as the result of it's large dedicated power supply just like the DAC-10. As all four DAC's are based on a variant of the ESS family they all have similarities.  There differences are more based  on the power supplies and front ends.  The DAC-10 and the IDA-16 are both based on the same chip and based on what I have been told the 10 wins due to the dedicated power supply.  Again just my opinion and others including Jason and John may offer different ones.

mr_bill

« Reply #106 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:58 am »
Thank you Jack

JackD

« Reply #107 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:25 am »
mr_bill

If your system is still the same as the one listed in your "systems" profile, your best move would be swapping the DAC-10 for the Benchmark. If otherwise then disregard.

John Casler

« Reply #108 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:36 am »
Hey Rustydoglim, I have a question about the analog input on the IDA-8. Is this port specifically tuned to only use a cd player as an input device? I have tried hooking my cable box up to it which produces an awful hum (no hum with my current amp, though, a cambridge audio ar30) and also my Schiit Bifrost which produces a significant crackling in the right channel when certain tracks with a high dynamic range are played. It works fine with a cd player. I have tested the same tracks with other amps, cables, etc, and made sure there are no ground looping problems. I was hoping to use the analog input for tv (it's my only option with the cable box i have) and optical for music. Any suggestions?

This is a bummer because it really sounds great otherwise, I don't want to have to return or sell it.

I can't answer with the expertise of Rustydoglim, but have a couple thoughts for you.

1) Cable box connections are notorious for "humming", since they are seldom well grounded.  AVR's are designed to shield against this, thus your not hearing it with your Cambridge.  An easy fix is to use the "optical" output of your cable box to the IDA-8 so that the hum cannot be transmitted to it.  It is not the IDA-8 introducing the hum,(ground loop) it is just producing it from the source.

2) You should then be able to run your CDP via the COAX digital no problem.

If you want to test to see if it is your cable box, simply hook everything up so you clearly hear the hum, go to the wall and disconnect the "CABLE" coming from the wall, and as soon as it is disconnected the hum will stop.

Other potential fixes:

1) Cheater Plugs (NOT RECOMMENDED)
2) Various devices known as "hum busters", can work, but if the above suggestions (1&2) work then that is your best solution.

avta

« Reply #109 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:59 am »
what is the DAC chip used in the IDA8?

mr_bill

« Reply #110 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:24 am »
mr_bill

If your system is still the same as the one listed in your "systems" profile, your best move would be swapping the DAC-10 for the Benchmark. If otherwise then disregard.

I should update that!
I have an Ayre QB-9 DSD now  :D

JackD

« Reply #111 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:35 am »
ESS 9010k2m

viggen

« Reply #112 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:41 am »
tempted.. it's between this or ifi retro. 

avta

« Reply #113 on: 30 Jul 2015, 02:26 pm »
Thank you JackD.

mervinpearce

« Reply #114 on: 31 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm »
My first post on the forum and with Rodney and Stuart a proud owner of the first shipments to SA.  I gave feedback on our local forum which I copy+paste and just updated a section to indicate not local forum reference.

*** From SA AVForums ***
As one of the early birders and not a lot of time before I had to leave the country again... however could compare it with some of the amps I have lying around and a few speakers in the room.  On the Sunday I woke at 03:30 to start listening.  However, my personal impressions noted.  Link to the product http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/pages/pages-overview/integrated-amps/ida-8

Achim (13Hof) brought an early bird option for 10 willing to 'jump in the cold water'.  No idea how the product sounds and will to gamble.

Some background first on what I owned before and although not a side by side comparison.  My top of the line combination that I owned was B&W 802N being fed by 31.5 Mark Levinson Transport. This fed into a ML 30.6 DAC and then finally into a ML 336 power amp.  Transparent speaker cables and Madrigal Gel balanced cables straight through the chain.

I did some homework before the option was placed on the table and I had some reservation as I realised that NuPrime is basically split from the NuForce brand which will focus on the higher end market.  I tried the NuForce Reference 9 V3 Special Edition once... and I did NOT LIKE IT!!  I read a review on the NuForce and the reviewer said he sold his Mark Levinson 33H's (which I was drooling for) and replaced it with the NuForce.  Even the wife came and told me the NuForce had no soul.  So when the option came, and I wanted to be one of the early birds, I pulled the trigger.

The shipment arrived in SA quicker than expected and I went to collect mine from Joel.  A very standard brown box with a plastic carry handle protecting the actual commercial presentation.  First impressions was the weight.  The small form factor weighs much more that you think.  Hopefully this means lots of quality components and a good PSU inline.  It is noted as class A/D so hopefully some copper for control. I will still open it sometime down the line.  The unit is very small and I opted for a black unit which is really a good looking device.  It is less and a 30cm ruler wide and looks lost on top of my Emotiva XPA-2.  It was time to connect and see what is on the menu.

The speaker output terminals are fairly close to each other but they look the part.  Solid metal, no plastic. My source I used is a Logitech Squeezebox and connected this using 3 methods.  Analog, Optical and Coax.  This allowed me to swop between a single source with external DAC (Logitech) and the internal DAC on both optical and coax.  Before I switch on, I did make sure that is was for local voltage.  Box was sealed and was set at 240V... all good!

The first set of speakers that I tried was a set of B&W CDM1NT. (8 ohm nominal) This is the older generation and I still think they are underrated and some people seem to dislike 'yellow cones' :).  Squeezebox was at 100% volume (no bits are stripped on the volume control) and I played at low volume on the NuPrime a while without listening to warm up to normal operating temperature.  After a few hours I sat down and played one of my reference tracks.  Religions - Carmen Cuesta http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015ELN06/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk11.  I know the bottom end and the voice coming in is riveting. I up the volume to 80 and pressed play.  I did not expect the control of the NuPrime gave to me in spades and buckets. Just before that I was playing through the Emotiva XPA-2 https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2 which is a 300W/channel into 8 ohms.  Don't get me wrong... Emotiva is great but this little box of tricks that has a DAC and a preamp in... just took me by surprise and had me wanting for more of my reference list.  Between the Sheets (Fourplay) track called Chant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZ5qriC7M8 has well controlled drums and percussion sounded more controlled and the noise floor is non-existent. Now I know what some reviewers say about 'playing against a black veil'.  Charles (Placebo on the forum - South Africa) came for a collection and I had to sit him down with a nice black coffee and asked him for his feedback.  The B&W CDM1NT's were standing (dwarfed by) next to the Polk Audio RTiA9 and as soon as the first track were played, Charles could not believe the base and control from the bookshelves.  He asked me if it was the small ones (Yellow Cones) and not the large floorstanders.  My son 15 years old and critical of my selection is more in the DJ scene and doing well.  Opened for Locnville and DJ Phonic (have to thrown that in as a proud dad) comments were verbatim... 'I am not normally impressed. But I am now'.

When a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors became available, and I had the NuPrime IDA-8, I thought... man this could be a combination.  I went to collect the SF's, replaced the B&W's and then, without sounding like a poet, I was in audio nirvana.  The SF's are nominal 4 ohms; so it requires a bit more performance from an amplifier and that small little box did not fail to impress.  I am going as far to say if I had to choose between the current setup and my previous top of the line... I am converted to the new technology and not sorry at all to have jumped shipped to digital amplification.  The switching technology is running at 600 kHz which is

I did swop between analog and digital and the NuPrime internal DAC is really good and better than the Squeezebox DAC.  Does not say much at the moment but future listening and comparisons will be done. The Coax is also clearly better than Optical Toslink.  I have not tried the USB and DSD formats yet as I like to get used to the first part before delving into higher bitrate. The digital signal between 44.1kHz and 48kHz is selected automatically as the source changes and briefly shown on the LED display.

What is next?  I have a subwoofer which will be connected to fill in the bottom end (I do not think any bottom end is missing but we will see) but I know lower end fills the other frequencies.  So it will just improve.  The nice thing is that there is a subwoofer out.  6V instead of 2V but change the gain on the volume of the subwoofer.  High res source files and comparisons to other DACs.

The only negative comment I can give if I can nitpick is a slight amp switch on noise through the speakers when you power on initially.  That is it!

For
Price. Even though not cheap, separates, such as a DAC, have cost me more
Slam and control and the bottom end
Very musical and presents the mids and tops in concert
Zero noise floor
Against
Nothing
Well maybe one... I want the IDA-16 (without getting rid of the IDA-8) and the wife will not be happy
*** END FROM SA AVForums ***

John Casler

« Reply #115 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:45 am »
Very nice review.

The comments, remind me of the early days when Rustydoglim was doing the same trail-blazing with the NuFORCE gear.

Great new additional products coming soon with the same vision.   

mv

« Reply #116 on: 6 Aug 2015, 05:56 am »
Very nice review.

The comments, remind me of the early days when Rustydoglim was doing the same trail-blazing with the NuFORCE gear.

Great new additional products coming soon with the same vision.

John, what is coming? :-)

John Casler

« Reply #117 on: 6 Aug 2015, 06:11 am »
John, what is coming? :-)

We have the HDAV-30 (High Definition Audio Video Preamp, Streamer, and More) = $1995

We have the MCA K-38 8 channel amplifier - $2995

We have the HPA-8 (headphone amp and MORE) - $499

We have the DAC-8 TBA

We have the dedicated bridgeable AMP-8 (250W mono, 100Wx2 stereo) derived from IDA-8.  Jaw dropping killer price at $549

And next year a leap on the REF Monobloc Amps to sit above the REF-20's

All of these have been discussed in previous threads sprinkled around the NuPRIME Circle.

Lots of Audio Excitement coming, and plenty right now.   8)

s.a.l.

« Reply #118 on: 9 Aug 2015, 01:33 pm »
I know this is a thread for the 8, but I just received the IDA-16 and absolutely love it.  I have one minor concern.  The owner's manual isn't much help regarding the analog outputs.  I figured they would be either fixed or variable to send to an external amp, but I'm not getting anything. 

When I listen to loudspeakers, I have an Audiophilleo 2 going into the IDA-16.  When I want to listen to headphones, I have to remove the AP2 from the 16, and hook it up to my Metrum Octave DAC which goes to my headphone amp.  I thought maybe the analog outputs of the 16 were fixed.  This way I can use the 16's DAC for everything and be done with it.  When using the analog outs going to my headphone amp, I got no sound from the headphones. 

I know about the home theater bypass feature (holding volumes up and down for three seconds).  So that's not it.

Any help?

avta

« Reply #119 on: 9 Aug 2015, 02:58 pm »
I'm certainly no expert but the analog outs may be for a subwoofer.