Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2100 on: 21 Jun 2017, 10:38 pm »
Is it possible to save the setting of the volume?

Each time I close the BDP-3 I have to set the volume of the sound.
I have to set the sound to the half, now it's full.
I have to do this because otherwise the sound of the SP2 will be much to loud even in almost the lowest level the sound is to loud.

That's strange, it should be saving it and then restoring the change upon boot up.  Could you place the BDP into service mode so we can take a look?

Hoiman

« Reply #2101 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:58 am »
It's is in service mode. ID=182 (but as we know this can change ;-) ).
But this is funny I just see that the volume is at its latest setting. hmm strange.

Marius

« Reply #2102 on: 22 Jun 2017, 07:45 am »
Hi Chris,

Did you ditch the Clear Cache button? Was found left of the Reset DB button.. :scratch:

Used it every time the DB got reloaded, to make sure new images were displayed. Isn't it necessary anymore?

Marius

« Reply #2103 on: 22 Jun 2017, 09:36 am »
HI Chris,

Been experimenting with the Artist view for a bit now. Is it correct only a playing song title is displayed, and no playlists and coverart view  are shown in this view? Having grown accustomed to being able to see whats up next and being able to watch the (all) coverart really makes me miss the playlist of the default view.
Is there a way you (we) can add that to the Artist view please?

clicking a song makes it directly available in the info screen and plays it. Selecting anything else while playing immediately shows the updated playlist message, stops the current song and plays the clicked one. Instead of adding it to a playlist and let me push next. Can we control that behavior in settings please (much like Mpad offers you several options while selecting tracks)?

I've found out that it is saver to update between smaller editing Tags sessions, than to wait for all tag edits and save in 1 big change. Tags more often than not don't stick while doing the latter.
MM is programmed for automatic Bryston DB rebuilds after each update. Which is very nice when doing 1 big session, but not so very cool when eg editing per album, and doing so for a longer period of time, updating (saving the edited tags) frequently. It is very heavy on the BDP (especially my BDP-1....) but also, it is not very clear which updates are taken into account while rebuilding the DB.

therefore i would like to ask if you could make the rebuilding of the Bryston DB after an update up to the enduser. Make Rebuilding automatic or manual by choice.

Check the image: rebuilding and updating at the same time. Are the updated changes to the library taking into account by the DB rebuild or not... Most of the time they are not. Confusing for sure.

last touch: in settings one has to Disable the automatic optimization of image files, which is enabled by default. Wouldn't it be better (thats what i believe obviously ..) to change that in a user selectable box for ENabling automatic optimization? I always like it best to be able to choose a positive option, instead of having to select disabling the negative..

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 11:28 am by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2104 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:10 pm »
Hi Chris,

Did you ditch the Clear Cache button? Was found left of the Reset DB button.. :scratch:

Used it every time the DB got reloaded, to make sure new images were displayed. Isn't it necessary anymore?

If your running S2.34, the bryston API stuff is semi turned off to hide it from those who hadn't used it from the testing releases.  Also it should only show if there is cached data, if nothing is in /mnt/img/bryston.db.data then it won't show.  Otherwise it's a bug

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #2105 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:59 pm »
If your running S2.34, the bryston API stuff is semi turned off to hide it from those who hadn't used it from the testing releases.  Also it should only show if there is cached data, if nothing is in /mnt/img/bryston.db.data then it won't show.  Otherwise it's a bug

Cheers
Chris

strange. Must be a bug then? no option to enable the Bryston Api anymore in Media Player settings..  :scratch:
i'm on S2.34 2017-06-20

Since we're talking caches here: there's also a clear-cache button on the Settings /Music Player Deamon page. Wouldn't it be helpful to change the Cache Button names as to avoid confusion and reflect their respective uses a bit more precise? Of course if they are not referring to the same Cache that is. ;)

Cheers,Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2106 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:16 pm »

strange. Must be a bug then? no option to enable the Bryston Api anymore in Media Player settings..  :scratch:
i'm on S2.34 2017-06-20

Since we're talking caches here: there's also a clear-cache button on the Settings /Music Player Deamon page. Wouldn't it be helpful to change the Cache Button names as to avoid confusion and reflect their respective uses a bit more precise? Of course if they are not referring to the same Cache that is. ;)

that clear /mnt/img/tag_cache, essentially the MPD database file

Cheers,
Chris

Hoiman

« Reply #2107 on: 22 Jun 2017, 03:07 pm »
Is it possible to save the setting of the volume?

Each time I close the BDP-3 I have to set the volume of the sound.

Never mind I have tested this a few times since I'm at home and it works. Sorry for the time it has cost you.

Marius

« Reply #2108 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:51 pm »
Don't know what happened (believe to have updated from the latest beta to the latest release, but all DB has gone.... Have to rebuild again.
Bryston APi is still nowhere to be found.
Chris can it be the release version is bugged somehow? Ive tried to reload the beta (which worked fine indeed) through the beta update page, but is still shows no DB and Api.... :scratch: :scratch:  Don't think it loaded over the release version.

Please have a look will you,
Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2109 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:30 pm »
Don't know what happened (believe to have updated from the latest beta to the latest release, but all DB has gone.... Have to rebuild again.
Bryston APi is still nowhere to be found.
Chris can it be the release version is bugged somehow? Ive tried to reload the beta (which worked fine indeed) through the beta update page, but is still shows no DB and Api.... :scratch: :scratch:  Don't think it loaded over the release version.

Please have a look will you,
Cheers,
Marius

S2.34 has it mostly disabled as its not done yet, I'll release a S2.35 either tonight or tomorrow with it restored.  Otherwise you can revert to the testing release which I have reverted back to most recent S2.33 just now.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #2110 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:32 pm »
S2.34 has it mostly disabled as its not done yet, I'll release a S2.35 either tonight or tomorrow with it restored.  Otherwise you can revert to the testing release which I have reverted back to most recent S2.33 just now.

Cheers,
Chris

:thumb:
Thanks, i will!

Update : it worked, back on beta, up and running. Thx Chris, eagerly awaiting your further iterations .

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2017, 06:57 am by Marius »

XMAN

« Reply #2111 on: 23 Jun 2017, 04:00 am »
Hey Chris i'm sure you know but the booklet feature is no longer working S2.33 2017-06-19.

Marius

« Reply #2112 on: 23 Jun 2017, 06:59 am »
Hey Chris i'm sure you know but the booklet feature is no longer working S2.33 2017-06-19.

Never checked that before...
How does this work? Any file-name specs / location to be followed?
Thx for reminding me;-)

Marius

« Reply #2113 on: 23 Jun 2017, 12:00 pm »
HI ,

Just noticed that since I've enabled Bryston DB and Artist view (and let MM create the bdp_ images in the album- folders) my carefully selected and/or created album art doesn't show anymore. Only the cover.jpg are viewable, all others show a black empty placeholder. (back.jpg, cd.jpg, tracks.jpg etc etc)

Also, previously an image file name was shown in a tooltip when hovering the image. That too doesn't show anymore.

Chris, is this as expected, or are we talking bugs here?

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #2114 on: 23 Jun 2017, 01:54 pm »
Just noticed that since I've enabled Bryston DB and Artist view (and let MM create the bdp_ images in the album- folders) my carefully selected and/or created album art doesn't show anymore. Only the cover.jpg are viewable, all others show a black empty placeholder. (back.jpg, cd.jpg, tracks.jpg etc etc)

That's been like that for a long time. I stopped creating back images because they never appear in the MM UI.

Marius

« Reply #2115 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:00 pm »
That's been like that for a long time. I stopped creating back images because they never appear in the MM UI.

Not in my experience, at least not before using the Bryston DB and Artist view. Had nice track lists and back covers for many albums.

Hope Chris will repair this soon, it is a very nice, not to say necessary feature to have all tracks in view without having to scroll back to the relevant folder .

Cheers Marius

XMAN

« Reply #2116 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:17 pm »
Never checked that before...
How does this work? Any file-name specs / location to be followed?
Thx for reminding me;-)

Access is from MP in the artist view,  there are 3 dots to the left of the play arrow and the shuffle hover over the 3 dots and select.  My Booklets are all labeled  "Digital Booklet.jpg" and it worked great with the last beta. 

Marius

« Reply #2117 on: 23 Jun 2017, 03:02 pm »
Access is from MP in the artist view,  there are 3 dots to the left of the play arrow and the shuffle hover over the 3 dots and select.  My Booklets are all labeled  "Digital Booklet.jpg" and it worked great with the last beta.

Nice, i see it now. Wont load unfortunately cause it says a plugin in missing.... It isn't though, adobe reader s always up to date, for sure. :scratch: that is to say, im trying to open a .pdf booklet. Jpg's as you use don't show up here.

Cheers
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2118 on: 23 Jun 2017, 03:23 pm »
Chris,

next to the extra bdp_front_44/250.jpg  files, i discovered several bryston_msg_mp_enable.jpg files. What is the purpose of these files, and why are they occurring at several and not all folders?

Marius

XMAN

« Reply #2119 on: 24 Jun 2017, 04:55 pm »

Nice, i see it now. Wont load unfortunately cause it says a plugin in missing.... It isn't though, adobe reader s always up to date, for sure. :scratch: that is to say, im trying to open a .pdf booklet. Jpg's as you use don't show up here.

Cheers
Marius

Sorry, yes mine are PDF's