Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player - alternatives

elmalloc

Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player - alternatives
« on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:30 am »
Hi,

A long time ago I sold my Jolida JD100A CD player after having FLAC/DAC/etc. It was a dumb move, and I miss it, it's been discontinued and one of the best CDPs I've heard in my life (although I've owned only a few).

It had a pre-amp tube stage.

Who were/are Jolida's JD100A competitors?

Thanks!
ELmO

bacobits1

Re: Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player - alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:59 am »
http://www.jolida.com/product/fusion-dac-transport

Or look at Marantz I liked very much the SA14s2 ltd I had.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:32 am »
Back in the day it was the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and the Shanling CD T-100.

It this point in their advanced age, I wouldn't trust a used one. The laser mechanism is likely worn out and I don't think replacements are available anymore.

If you are dead set on a tubed CD player you'll likely have to go with a new Yaqin SD 33/35. There are a few others but they start around $3k and go up from there.

elmalloc

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:46 am »
Thanks. In regards to Yaqin...any thoughts on the yaqin mc-13s? Seems like high reviews on amazon.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2016, 06:03 am »
In May 1999 I bought a Jolida 601A CD Player (SN: 9710210 lol) as a demo from the Sound Factor in Santa Monica, CA.  Still have it and the original box and receipt! In early 2009 the laser began failing to read a disc or the last tracks , and began taking 30-40 seconds to even recognize a disc. But when working right is was stunning. In the spring of 2010 I purchased a JD100A from  Underwood Hifi (which at the time included a set of the upgraded RCA output connector at the same price as the unmodded unit). The build quality and sound is outstanding.  I hated to see it discontinued, and in 2015 called a number of places (to include Jolida in MD) in an effort to find an unsold unit just to have as a backup!

I play my unit daily, and have wondered about replacements should it eventually give up the ghost.  I'm biased and want to stay with a tube output stage (despite all the great, inexpensive solid state units), and recognize I'll probably need to go the separate transport/DAC route.  A DAC like this caught my attention:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

elmalloc

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:19 am »
Good to hear there's another Jolida JD100A fan. That CDP was amazing. Yeah, now I'm thinking I just need to go the DAC/FLAC route. I had a P1A/P3A that seemed to produce similar results as the JD100A, enough so that it led me to sell the JD100A a long time ago.

I just want the tube/vinyl sound back. That DAC looks interesting because it's tube output. Looks like there's a musicalparadise D2 out!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm »
I had two of Jolidas many years ago.
Try running an OPPO CDP through a Yaqin tube buffer, I think you might like the results.

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:24 pm »
Thanks. In regards to Yaqin...any thoughts on the yaqin mc-13s? Seems like high reviews on amazon.

Well, based on what I just read about the DAC chip in that Yaqin upsamples to 24/192. Your old Jolida had a 16 bit non-oversampling DAC chip. Though I've not heard the Yaqin, and since you liked the sound of the Jolida, I'd bet the Yaqin is going to sound too detailed for your liking.

Since you mentioned in your original post that you went the FLAC/DAC route. No doubt, you still have your computer based setup. Why don't you try a non-oversampling DAC with a tubed output, Something like the MHDT Paradisea? I still have mine from years ago that I still use in a second system. It's smooth as can be, not hyper-detailed.

Got a sneaking suspicion, you got lured into the hi-rez DAC side of things and it just doesn't suit your ears. Hunt down an old school, non-oversampling, tubed output DAC. Best part is they should be nice and cheap now....oh, and they don't wear out like CD mechanisms do.

...happy hunting!   

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:24 pm »
I owned a JD100A briefly a few years ago. It sounded ordinary to me so out it went.

If you like the sound though, maybe look at a Unison Research cdp. I believe they can still be had new.

elmalloc

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm »
So my FLAC/DAC was also gone (lol), I left the 2 channel setup a long time ago for some reason, but I want to get back in it.

The Jolida JD100 left after I realized I couldn't hear much of a difference in FLAC/DAC and CDs.

So the reviews of the Musical Paradise MP-D1/D2 are high, but there are not many of them. I'm wondering if I should give this a try? I'm reading about MHDT Paradisea now, the minimal Musical Paradise DAC reviews say it's pretty much perfect though.

Also, from what I read, the Yaqin 13 is actually more tube sounding.

I'm kind of all over the place as I started on this journey again learning about SET/Decware amps. I read a review stating the high end musical paradise SET (55W) is more detailed than the yaqin, my previous preference was the more tubey the sound the better for me.

I feel like starting with a tube DAC, before going down the rest of the line. I will source from my PC/USB for now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:29 pm »
In a stupid move I sold a mint Denon DCD-1520 by $200, it even had a indestructible KSS-151A transport and remote volume control  :duh:
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2016, 03:34 pm by FullRangeMan »

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2016, 02:07 pm »
Since the sound you enjoyed in the Jolida was simple 16 bit non-oversampling, the Musical Paradise DAC may not match what you are looking for in a DAC. It is 24 bit, hi-rez. You mentioned you like the tubey sound and a hi-rez dac won't give you any of that sound.

If your sights are set on a new hi-rez DAC and you still want that tubey sound, I'd suggest getting there with a vintage, tube integrated. Something like a restored HH Scott or Fisher. Great part about those is they have decent phono stages and they have tone controls.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:25 pm »
Vincent Audio Makes a Hybrid Tube CDP.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VICDS1.2

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:32 pm »
Line Magnetic CD515?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2016, 06:52 pm »
I'd also say line magnetic 515 or 215. There's also the Primaluna Classic CD player.

mreeter

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:18 pm »
I still have my JD-100A in the mix, still sounding VERY romantic after all these years. The trick to the JD-100 was to pitch the cheap, stock Chinese tubes roll in some vintage tubes.

I always thought the 12AX7's had too much gain for the player, I rolled in a NOS pair of 5751's, and that was a match made in Heaven!

elmalloc

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2016, 07:25 pm »
I hate you mreeter!! I miss my Jolida!! I was just convincing myself to go to FLAC/DAC!! xD.  :thumb: Romantic is the sound I'm looking for, once again.

Way too many DAC choices out there.

GerryD

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2016, 08:28 pm »
I used a JD100A for many years( and still have it), but changed to a Marantz SA8005 about a year ago. I don't regret the change.