New NX-Otica MTM section only

Danny Richie

New NX-Otica MTM section only
« on: 15 Aug 2016, 07:19 pm »
$1,229 for the pair and that is with the flat pack.

Some of you guys have been asking about getting just the MTM section only for the NX-Otica so that you can simply add them to the top of your existing H-frame servo subs. Well now you can. You can order the MTM section only.

I just completed designing a crossover for this version, and the result was very good. And I designed a version using the standard Neo 3 pdr and one using some of the custom Neo 3's that I still have on hand.

Here is the crossover response.

There is no high pass filter on the woofers. They can be played full range. If you plan on using a lot of power with them then some form of inline passive filter to be plugged in before your amp is recommended.

Here are a few pics:

« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2018, 08:49 pm by Danny Richie »

ebag4

Re: New NX-Otica MTM section only
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2016, 07:51 pm »
Danny, did the crossover change from the original floor standing model other than the parts required for the bottom 4 drivers?  What is the cost of the kit (minus the N3PDR)?  Any comments on the differences between the floor standing and the MTM would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2016, 09:18 pm »
Danny, did the crossover change from the original floor standing model other than the parts required for the bottom 4 drivers?  What is the cost of the kit (minus the N3PDR)?  Any comments on the differences between the floor standing and the MTM would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed,

The 100uF cap value that was inline with the woofers are now gone. So there is a big advantage in that they are no longer in the signal path. And when that went away it change the shape of the woofer output a little and then I needed to compensate with a slight change to the tweeters crossover. So it is different.

I don't have a two woofer H-frame pair here to play them with and compare to the floor standing version, but I bet it will be a little give and take.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2018, 04:00 pm by Danny Richie »

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2016, 09:26 pm »
Thanks Danny.  If I am remembering correctly, the MTM section mid drivers are nearly double the displacement of the Wedgie MTM drivers, is that correct?  If so, I would guess these would play a little lower than the Wedgie.   How high do you believe the servo subs need to play with this setup?

Thanks again,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2016, 10:31 pm »
Thanks Danny.  If I am remembering correctly, the MTM section mid drivers are nearly double the displacement of the Wedgie MTM drivers, is that correct?  If so, I would guess these would play a little lower than the Wedgie.   How high do you believe the servo subs need to play with this setup?

Thanks again,
Ed

Yes, these will easily play down to around 100Hz or so.

AKLegal

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2016, 11:05 pm »
Sweet, as soon as a total price is set I'll be first to order but last to actually complete the build.  It took me a year to finish my pair of Super Vs lol.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:25 am »
Sweet, as soon as a total price is set I'll be first to order but last to actually complete the build.  It took me a year to finish my pair of Super Vs lol.

Commission a complete build. The cost difference between a flat pack and a completed set should be quite reasonable. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:43 am »
Commission a complete build. The cost difference between a flat pack and a completed set should be quite reasonable.

I know at least one person who could accommodate such a commission   :green:

They, along with the crossover components, should be home in a few days.

I'm building this first pair of crossovers with the same parts I usually use: Sonicaps, Platinum by-pass caps, Mills resistors and Erse XQ inductors. However, I'm going to wire the crossovers up in such a way that I can easily swap networks in and out. That way I can build upgraded crossovers later on and easily A/B them.

Danny, thanks for all your help on these. I can't wait to see how they sound now.

Mike

SteveKi

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:30 pm »
Any chance of getting one of these kits by the end of the month? Or is availability a few months away
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:23 pm »
Any chance of getting one of these kits by the end of the month? Or is availability a few months away
Steve

I have everything in stock and ready to ship.

Coldfusion

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2016, 11:17 pm »
What's the total price (with the flat pack and no Rez)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2016, 02:29 am »

Do you have a pair of the Neo 3 pdr tweeters already or do you need the tweeters too?

Coldfusion

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2016, 07:55 pm »
Do you have a pair of the Neo 3 pdr tweeters already or do you need the tweeters too?

I don't have anything. I saw a price earlier in the thread, but that was without the tweeter, flat pack, and no Rez, I think.

And with the lack of a "box" here, wouldn't it be better to just twist on the speaker wire?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2016, 08:14 pm »
Once I fill all of the obligations for NX-Otica and NX-Treme I'll see if I have tweeters left of the custom version. I'd like to hang onto them for NX-Treme models as they will need the higher sensitivity version.

At some point Parts Express is supposed to get some from Christy Digital, but I have played that game with them already myself. They talk a talk, but don't really deliver. Maybe one day they will deliver.

I also have completed development of a new Neo 3 and am now awaiting some pricing on production. It will require a network adjustment but the frames are the same. So they will be able to be used with these new designs.

Hang in there.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2016, 08:41 pm »

I also have completed development of a new Neo 3 and am now awaiting some pricing on production. It will require a network adjustment but the frames are the same. So they will be able to be used with these new designs.

:banana piano:

Are you still planning on reworking the networks on older models such as the N series to work with these new tweeters?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2016, 08:43 pm »
:banana piano:

Are you still planning on reworking the networks on older models such as the N series to work with these new tweeters?

If all goes well then they will get the new tweeters and wave guides.

Dynky

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2016, 07:17 am »
I'm interested in that as well, although living in Europe I don't know whether it remains as interesting, with shipping costs and all...
although I could get the woodwork done over here, if exact plans are available.

mhr

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:15 pm »
Hi Danny,

I am interested in the MTM monitors using the new Neo tweeter and waveguide.

I plan to mate them to my servo subs in the W style open enclosure.

Add me to your list and let me know when the components become available.

Mark
Syracuse, NY

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:09 pm »
We've still got to  get boxes and custom foam/packaging cut so still trying to  get a fianl price on the flat packs.
But,  we've got 4 complete sets of these in stock now, will have more cut when needed.

We used  dowels in the base to correctly postion the wings just like the Otticas/Tremes.  The long wing has 3 dowels and 3 screws that go up throght the base, the short wing only has a dowel due to space but they'll be easy to asemble.

After the dowels are in place, pop the wings into position

Then  the  baffle

Base is a simple  wedge shape that extends  just a bit  outside the  baffle and wings.  It's  got a .5" rouindover to match the verical front corners of the baffle/wing.A guy could  shorten  it up on the rear edge if he/she wanted.

They stand 24.5" tall  when sitting on the 1" base. The top edge of the baffles will be cut at a 5 degree bevel to match the wings before they go out the door.
We'll finalize prices in the next day or two, get some good douilble layer boxes like we ship our subs in,  get the custom cut foam ordered  and hopefully be ready to ship them out within a week.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2016, 12:51 am »
Jay,

Looking good and a lot easier to glue up with the dowels to keep things from moving.

Mike