Windows Defender

Don_S

Windows Defender
« on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:58 pm »
A tech working on my new personal computer (W10-pro) took off Norton and installed Windows Defender without my permission.  How good is WD?  I know Norton has fans and detractors so I don't want to get into a contest or consider other options.  I only want to decide between the two.

I have WD on my computer now and own a Norton license so I can reinstall it. I have used Norton for many years and even though it is a pain sometimes, it has always protected my computer. WD seems to be less intrusive but I wonder if there is a price to be paid in additional risk.

Thanks for any help.   Don

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Windows Defender
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2016, 06:06 pm »
Don - My tech/friend who's built my machines for years says it's gotten pretty good, and I use it on both my Win7 machnes. I also use Avast free, due to flexibility vs Avira (freeware), which he also recommends. Thing with Avira is you can't turn off any of the protection sections. CAD doesn't play well with most antivirus programs that want to check every file being worked with, saved, moved. Since I do almost no online with the work machine I can keep the web & mail sections of Avast running, but shut off the file checking section.

JD

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:04 pm »
It all depends what you do with your computer. If you putter around, check popular news sites, Pinterest and check email then Defender will be perfectly fine.

But if you use the internet to it's maximum like I do, you can end up in some seedy places. I use a combination of Eset Nod32 antivirus, free Comodo firewall, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and the flash blocker plugin for Firefox and explore in confidence. The Comodo firewall stops unknown outgoing connections so programs can't phone home, Defender doesn't.

Fans of Mr. Robot know all the code on the show is real. In episode 5 of this season Elliot typed in a web address and hacked Ray's computer. You can do your own research for fun,
or click here to cheat: https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/4uyvvb/no_spoilers_i251bxjyb2jvdanet_hidden_onion_site/

But be prepared for some surprises
http://i239.bxjyb2jvda.net/

Don't worry, it's an Easter egg from the Mr. Robot team but it could be real someday.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:32 pm »
WDef are free, on a fast Goo search I see various paid AV softwares has similar performance to Wdef.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2016, 01:48 am by FullRangeMan »

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2016, 01:37 am »
+1 WGH   :thumb:

Defender used to be called "Security Essentials," for optional install on Win7 and Win8. Now it is called Defender, and it is an integral part of Win10 with automatic updates. It's has very good protection and totally invisible operation. It never noticeably slows down the computer.

If something ever did get past it, you wouldn't know until symptoms start, so it's a good idea to manually scan once a month with the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware. This is the go-to tool for removing pedestrian viruses.

The premium version of AntiMalware runs in memory to preemptively block infection and also scans to remove infections.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2016, 02:48 pm »
Thanks for the responses everyone.  I can say I am enjoying the invisibility of WD.  Norton insisted on frequently wiping out items I wanted saved like "new tabs" and passwords to noncritical sites.

ArthurDent

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2016, 12:32 am »
It all depends what you do with your computer. If you putter around, check popular news sites, Pinterest and check email then Defender will be perfectly fine.

But if you use the internet to it's maximum like I do, you can end up in some seedy places. I use a combination of Eset Nod32 antivirus, free Comodo firewall, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and the flash blocker plugin for Firefox and explore in confidence. The Comodo firewall stops unknown outgoing connections so programs can't phone home, Defender doesn't.

Wayne - curious about the Commodo. What's all the "Geekbuddy" stuff that seems to come with it ? I just loaded the Commodo, and it loaded the other as well, then I start getting popups in the lower right corner from Geekbuddy telling me all my system problems and offering to 'fix' them. Phone number included for quick help. Close the window, it comes back in 5 minutes. Maybe it's just Win7, but I don't need the offers of assistance and found it irritating enough to uninstall both. Went back to Windows Firewall. Also couldn't find a way to close it's window on the desktop without exiting the program.

I don't putter around very much, but appears that's not really necessary as I just had one of those 'you've been hacked, call us to fix' sessions that locks up the browser/computer while attempting to link an album pic from allmusic. Had it once before somewhere else that shouldn't have been an issue, but was. I unplugged the network cable, unplugged the power, and restarted. Ran the scans for issues, perused task manager processes, and am clean, but was hoping the Commodo might be a solution. At least for me it was more trouble than it needed to be. Any added info from your experience (or others) will be appreciated.

Thanks.....JD

bacobits1

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2016, 12:52 am »
Well that sounds like a bs program. Is it the free version?
I'd remove that quick. Sounds like it's doing something, tracking?

Over 2 years now I only use Malwarebytes (paid version), Ccleaner and Win Defender.
I have 4 machines here.

Paid AVG  was doing something in the background it was using way too much CPU, HD was accessed constantly.
I dumped it and had a year left in the license. Norton used way too much resources too. Got it free for one year on a new machine, never used it.

ArthurDent

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:12 am »
Yes bacobits, it was the free version. I've run Avast free for years now, along with the Malwarebytes free, Ccleaner, and WinDefender/Windows Firewall. Have a couple of others I run on occasion my friend/computer builder clued me into. He prefers the Avira free now, but it doesn't have the control options Avast does. I expect to get the occasional notice here and there on freeware, Avast does it, though not recently, but I don't expect a program to sit on the desktop telling me it's running. Down on the task bar is fine & where it should be imo. And I didn't expect to get the extra 'free' Geekbuddy download with the firewall program. There was no indication, explanation, nada. It may be nothing other than annoying, but it was enough for me to uninstall both items until I can collect more information. Already have a note out to my friend. Maybe it's just me, but that's why I "borrowed" Don's thread to reference WGH's post.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:19 am »
The free versions unfortunately do that crap to annoy you into buying the paid version.
Which annoys you so much you get pissed and never buy it. Lol!
You don't need any more than what you have. I like the paid version of Malwarebytes . I don't have to do anything it runs checking web pages sites, updates and scans automatically every day in the background.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:58 am »
Wayne - curious about the Commodo. What's all the "Geekbuddy" stuff that seems to come with it ?

I must have installed Comodo before Geekbuddy became a free add-on. You should be able to uninstall Geekbuddy by right clicking the Start button (Win10) --> Control Panel --> Programs-Uninstall a Program.

My favorite free programs seem to be including "Value Added" nagware more and more so you have to be real careful clicking through the install procedure, sometimes clicking the Advanced button to uncheck options.

Wayne 

ArthurDent

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2016, 03:36 am »
I must have installed Comodo before Geekbuddy became a free add-on. You should be able to uninstall Geekbuddy by right clicking the Start button (Win10) --> Control Panel --> Programs-Uninstall a Program.

My favorite free programs seem to be including "Value Added" nagware more and more so you have to be real careful clicking through the install procedure, sometimes clicking the Advanced button to uncheck options.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Wouldn't have bothered me so much if they'd given notice or the option to decline, but they didn't. May give it a try again. Does it always reside on the desktop in Win10 ? I'm on Win7 Pro, due to work considerations, and couldn't find a way to close, minimize to task bar, or hide it in 7. And, yep, even Avast has gotten a tad intrusive. Since I do the notify, rather than auto update they throw an extra screen at me whenever I update noting a "Problem" to be solved. ie change the setting to auto update. They also quit notifying if you don't update the program when a new version is available. Oh well, such is life in the age of technology.

JD

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2016, 04:48 am »
The only way I know Comodo is running is clicking "Show hidden icons" on the bottom right, there is nothing on the desktop or anywhere else.

Info from the Comodo website says a simple uninstall will get rid of Geekbuddy
https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-284-2995-.html

But if you downloaded Comodo from Cnet, Softonic or other similar custom third-party sites then who knows what stuff was added on:

Then you may have to download and install more free software to get rid of all that extra crap.

Remove GeekBuddy from Comodo (Uninstall Guide)
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/comodo-geekbuddy-removal/

ArthurDent

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2016, 06:24 am »
Interesting. I downloaded it from Commodo, but didn't get that installation screen. No Full/Custom install option. Beginning to think it may be a difference between 10 & 7 to a degree. I'll check into it further. Appreciate the additional information.