KWA 150 Review in Jan. Issue - The Absolute Sound! - NOW ONLINE!

modwright

When you received your Jan. issue of The Absolute Sound, check out the review of our KWA 150 by Dick Olsher.

I feel that Mr. Olsher did an exceptional job of evaluating our product and appreciated its performance.

Following is a link to this review online at TAS:
http://www.avguide.com/review/modwright-kwa-150-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-199?page=1

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2016, 05:24 pm by modwright »

Marco Prozzo

Re: KWA 150 Review in Jan. Issue - The Absolute Sound!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:30 pm »
It's very high praise, indeed, that two dyed in the wool tube loving critics have sung the praises of a solid state amp. The same amp that pulled me away from tubes, to my own great surprise. Congrats on the deserved praise, Dan!

On a tangent; I recently had the opportunity to borrow a second KWA150 for several weeks to try in a biamped configuration. My ohhhhhh my! Mo betta' goodness all over the place (didn't Yogi Berra say that? Or was it Yogi Bear?)! Biamping brought out more detail where I didn't think there was more to be had. It also improved the spacial qualities of the sounstage, accentuating image specificity further, and improved on an already commanding hold of the bass. Now if I could only hide the second one beneath the baseboards where my wife wouldn't see it!

Nice job, Dan!

mikel51

Re: KWA 150 Review in Jan. Issue - The Absolute Sound!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 03:49 am »
On a tangent; I recently had the opportunity to borrow a second KWA150 for several weeks to try in a biamped configuration. My ohhhhhh my! Mo betta' goodness all over the place (didn't Yogi Berra say that? Or was it Yogi Bear?)! Biamping brought out more detail where I didn't think there was more to be had. It also improved the spacial qualities of the sounstage, accentuating image specificity further, and improved on an already commanding hold of the bass. Now if I could only hide the second one beneath the baseboards where my wife wouldn't see it!

Nice job, Dan!

Maybe you need 4 of them so you can biamp in bridged mono :thumb:

I received my TAS today and was pleased to see that I agree with the review.

modwright

For those who don't subscribe to TAS in print, there is currently, the KWA 150 review by Dick Olsher - on the web at TAS.
http://www.avguide.com/review/modwright-kwa-150-stereo-power-amplifier-tas-199?page=1

Thanks,

Dan W.

rpf

Congratulations, Dan. The amp sounds highly intriguing. I hope to hear it one day.  :thumb:

modwright

Thanks Rob!

Dan

kmmd

Congrats Dan!  Received my 2010 Editors' Choice Awards issue last week.  The amp is awesome, and I am extremely happy to have two in my system.  :green:

modwright

Thanks guys!

Dan

talk2me

Dan, can the chassis be anodized black?

Marco Prozzo

Dan, can the chassis be anodized black?

Dan's releasing some Stealth-black amps and preamps that are new to his line.  I'll be photographing them sometime soon and should have some pics posted when he is able to spare a set for photography.  Sounds like they're beautiful to behold (I've heard as much both from Dan and one of his main techs who may be buying one for himself).  Can't wait to see them! 

modwright

Yes, we have the ability to ship Black KWA 150's, LS 36.5's and I just receive back the first of the KWA 100 sets in all black.

The finish is a FLAT BLACK and the looks is VERY cool, with minimal lettering (read CLEAN) and blue MWI logo and glow from inside.

Marco is a genius with a camera and I look forward to seeing the results of his creativity once I get the trio sent up to him.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

I love black anodized gear. I just sold my BAT 52SE because when I bought a McIntosh MCD500 with it's own volume control, and the 52SE did not make the MCD500 sound better. I am looking for a preamp to make my system (Focal Scala speakers and Hegel H10 amp) more tube like with all the tube goodness without the tube badness- will I can try can't I? I wish I could try out many preamps, but that is impossible. So I will narrow it down to Modwright, deHavilland Mercury3, Cary SPL05, CJ CT5 and Burmester. It might take awhile  :eyebrows:........Sorry about the OT, but I started out with the black anodize. :wink:

modwright

I would gladly have our LS 36.5 compared to any of those suggested.  I expect the Burmester will be QUITE a bit more expensive.

Thanks,

Dan