Itunes music collection?

chgolatin2

Itunes music collection?
« on: 25 Dec 2009, 07:56 pm »
I would like to record all of my cd's into my computer, I'm going to use itunes for it.  Whats the best recording that I could get from it?  I dont know if ACC, or MP3 at 392kbt will do?  Lossless, dont know much about it...  So which is better option?

Thanks

Crimson

Re: Itunes music collection?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:19 pm »
There are essentially three kinds of files:

1. Lossless uncompressed: These files are identical to those on a CD and have a bit rate of 1411 kbps. AIFF and WAV are lossless uncompressed files.

2. Lossless compressed: Theoretically identical to lossless uncompressed, they take up less disc space (Apple Lossless, FLAC).

3. Lossy compressed: These files typically have bit rates between 128-392 kbps. MP3 and AAC are lossy compressed files.

I'd choose Apple lossless (if using iTunes) at a minimum. If disc space is not an issue, use AIFF.

PS: Don't forget to enable error correction (Preferences > General > Import Settings).

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:25 pm »
Thanks! :wink:

SwedeSound

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm »
What does the error correction do? Allow you to import or read damaged discs? I'm going to use Apple Lossless, too.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2009, 07:04 pm »
Errors in reading an optical disc are always present, and CD players have some form of error correction built in.  Error correction insures that you have a bit perfect rip to your hard drive.

Apple says "use error correction if you experience problems with the audio quality...", but you should do it as a standard practice.  They also say that it may reduce the speed of importing, but that is only noticeable in older computers.

Error correction can often enable importing from CDs that were unplayable, depending on the severity of the damage.  Many people have ripped discs that were skipping or misreading, and using error correction, burned the ripped files back to a CD-R disc and had a playable CD.

Steve

mathgeek97

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2009, 12:59 am »
Speaking of error correction, I've been ripping CDs on my old PC using EAC (Exact Audio Copy).  Is there something like that for the Mac I should be using instead of ripping straight into iTunes?
BTW, my MacbookPro is now sporting an 80GB Intel Solid State Drive and it runs silently and stays cool (and is complete overkill).