Where to use Halo or Ultra sonic dampers?

bebop86

Where to use Halo or Ultra sonic dampers?
« on: 5 Apr 2016, 01:32 pm »
Guys need to order some tube Dampers for my  Amp and phono stage- Where do I put the Halo's and where do I put the Ultrasonics or should I go all Halo- tube amp has ELrog 211's and a 6sn7 the phono has 4- 12ax7 and 2-6GH8- I seem to be getting some microphonics so I thought I should use the tube dampers- Is putting them on everything overkill??- thanks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Where to use Halo or Ultra sonic dampers?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2016, 01:38 pm »
A damping instrument on each of the vacuum tubes would not be overkill.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

bebop86

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2016, 01:50 pm »
Steve thanks- which ones do you rec. I order the Halo or Ultrasonics and for which tubes- thks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2016, 04:40 pm »
Default recommendation is UltraSonic SS for the small-signal tubes (6SN7, 12AX7, 6GH8), and UltraSonic Rx for the 211 tubes.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

bebop86

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm »
Steve thanks- So you would rec. the Ultra sonics over the Halo's??

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2016, 05:03 pm »
UltraSonic Rx is our default recommendation because of the lower price, though they are not recommended over HAL-O III for any other reason. If cost is not an issue, HAL-O III is a better investment, especially for potentially very hot-running tubes like 211. HAL-O III dampers also work superbly with small-signal tubes even though the extreme heat resistance of the HAL-O III is not needed for them. Audible sonic differences between UltraSonic SS, Rx, and HAL-O III will vary somewhat from one system to another and among different tubes, with neither being inherently superior to the others, falling within a range of system variables and personal preference. Of those who have auditioned and compared HAL-O III with UltraSonic Rx and UltraSonic SS, however, a clear and near-unanimous majority has preferred the HALO-III for best sonic results.

Steve
Herbie's Audio lab

parallelwatts

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2018, 05:57 pm »
Sorry if this has been addressed already, I can't seem to find it though...

Im curious to know if there is a specific recommended placement/orientation of the damper onto the tube.  Where in height should the damper be placed relative to the internal tune components?  And at what orientation (titanium c ring, three iso pads) relative to the tube internals?

Im using 'UltraSonic SS-9' on 6Dj8s.