LampizatOr Amber DAC Holiday Season Group Buy (EARLY ADOPTER INCENTIVE)

Gopher

Jason,

Yes, true balanced with XLR connectors.   :thumb:

Rob,

The DACs will use ecc88 or ecc82 output tubes.  My production sample used a 6x5 rectifier which Lukasz was pleased with and I believe will remain.  Lukasz did not tell me the exact capacitor used, but it is a special high speed capacitor from from Japan and that he prefers it to most boutique caps. 

Michael,

This DAC is in many ways similar to a gen 4 Level 4 DAC with some manufacturing optimizations and premium but not boutique parts.  I wont say a Level 4 isn't better, but some people just won't care as the Amber is really good in its own right. 

Once each batch of 5 is ordered, internationally delivery should be less then two weeks.

Big Red Machine

Any business end photos?

Gopher

Here are some pics of a very tricked out Amber built for the Asian market:  http://www.lampizator.eu/NEWDAC/Lampizator/Amber_Lampi_DAC.html

We won't be tricking out the group buy units to this extent, but those interested in a gucci'ed Amber are invited to message me privately.   :thumb:

worldcat

Will they offer Jupiter caps.

Gopher

The group buy units will not, but drop me a PM and we can come up with a solution.

Gopher

One more buyer and the first group gets ordered!   :thumb:

Whose it gonna be? 

wisnon

Steve said the Amber dac sounds GREAT!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Steve said the Amber dac sounds GREAT!
Who dat?

Gopher

Steve is a repeat Lampi customer with a great system and better ear that is borrowing my amber as he awaits a Big 7 build.

He plans to post some thoughts soon, so I won't summarize his words, but you can get an idea of his standards with this link to his system:  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1319726155

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Steve is a repeat Lampi customer with a great system and better ear that is borrowing my amber as he awaits a Big 7 build.

He plans to post some thoughts soon, so I won't summarize his words, but you can get an idea of his standards with this link to his system:  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1319726155

Steve is a local, I'll have to contact him about coming over for another listen! 

Gopher

Steve is a local, I'll have to contact him about coming over for another listen!

Its definitely worth hearing.  I'm admittedly biased, but I find it to be a silly good value. 

I'll be using an Amber DAC with a volume control and a Tube Research Labs Samson with those Auroras you're working on for me...  Should be one hell of a family rig.   :thumb:

wisnon

Its definitely worth hearing.  I'm admittedly biased, but I find it to be a silly good value. 

I'll be using an Amber DAC with a volume control and a Tube Research Labs Samson with those Auroras you're working on for me...  Should be one hell of a family rig.   :thumb:

Auroras? Lucky guy.

Ryan makes good stuff from all accounts, plus he is a nice guy too.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Auroras? Lucky guy.

Ryan makes good stuff from all accounts, plus he is a nice guy too.

I'm ok, but Fred is one of the nicest guys in the industry.  We're just happy he's decided to add a pair of our speakers to his home.  I'm sure soon I'll be adding a Lampi to my home. 

dminches

I am looking forward to mine.  :D

Gopher

Here is an excerpt from the incredible review "Living With Lampis" for those of you curious about the Amber but deterred by the lack of feedback.

The Road to Amber

After several months I received word that my Big 7 could benefit with some upgrades so back to Poland it flew. Due to circumstances beyond Fred's and Lukasz's control I learned it might be a couple of weeks before the Big 7 would be flying back home. No music. But a quick call to Fred and he was telling me about Lukasz's newest creation, the Amber DAC. And Fred agreed to send me the only Amber DAC in the USA to use while the Big 7 was home in Poland for updates and a tuneup.

I was excited to have music at home again but was prepared for disappointment. After the sonic bliss and heights the Big 7 brought to my system, how could this little DAC, the Amber even compare? And what is an Amber DAC?
Here's Amber!
 ✤LampizatOr hand made DAC
✤Fantastic ESS Sabre reference DAC
✤DSD and PCM in one package
✤Lampizator famous tube output stage
✤Lampizator tubed power supply
✤Great looking full size chassis which it shares with our Level3.
✤Great upgrade path (with chokes and caps)

Pretty good pedigree, right? But how did it sound?
The Amber Fred sent me was equipped with a RCA coaxial input. A simple job to hook up, right?
Because of my system, which is equipped and for USB yes and no.

It was easy to connect my Oppo to it via the coaxial out and input. Then I connected the analog outs to my TRL DUDE preamp. Insert a CD into the Oppo, press play and . . . . No sound! Were the amps on? Yep. All cables connected? Yep. Hmm. A quick call to Fred who told me a tube could have come loose in shipping and gave me permission to open the Amber. Yep, sure enough one of the three tubes had wobbled loose. Back in it went. A quick  screwing and hookup and . . . Music! Emmy Lou Harris was  singing in my room once again. The sound? Surprisingly good for just being turned on. The bass was a little whompy at first, the treble maybe a touch bright, but the Amber clearly possessed the magic realism and midrange that only (in my experience) is the hallmark of a  Lampizator DAC.

But, you know, I had to get the Amber in sync with my tricked out PC. A quick check and yep, my PC does have a coaxial output. I hurriedly made the connection, fired up the trusty iPad, sat in the listening chair, turned out the lights, pointed the remote at the DUDE, selected Emmy Lou and listened to the sweet sound of nothing. Drat. What gives? The simple answer? I don't know. Another one of those arcane PC mysteries that are sometimes unsolvable.
Wait a minute. The doorbell just rang. What's this? My Lampi USB TranspOrt has been delivered by UPS? The wheels turn. Aha! I'll connect the coaxial output of the TranspOrt to the Amber input. That'll do it!

After downloading the EXD driver for the USB TranspOrt and getting Windows 8.1 to approve the unsigned driver, I jRivered the iPad and suddenly there was music. After listening to a few of my favorite cuts, (Emmy Lou Harris, Stevie Wonder, The Decemberists, and Johnny Cash it soon became apparent just how good the Amber DAC was.

When connected to the TranspOrt, Amber displayed sure strutted her stuff. The most objectionable characteristic before with the Oppo was somewhat whompy bass which I had attributed wrongly to Amber. The bass was punchy, well defined and clearly lost the womp. The treble was extended but smooth, and the best part, the Lampizator midrange and realism were right there. Soundstage and imaging were very good but not as vivid as I've heard my system. At this point, the Amber was in my mind really a keeper. One could insert this DAC into any system and it wouldn't be embarrassed.

To me, one hallmark of a well engineered component is its ability to improve as one's system does. The next step: rebooting my PC to my second operating system Windows Server Essentials 2012 r2 along with JRiver, jPlay, and the excellent Audio Optimizer. (If you've not heard this combo with a tweaked PC you owe it to yourself to at least seek out someone in your area and give it a listen.) Would Amber respond? 
In a word yes, the bass, treble, and midrange became even more refined and Gadzooks the images floated precisely in their own space, lots of front to back depth, and the soundstage became more transparent.

Ok, so if Amber is this good, is there any reason to seek out a Level 4, 5, 6, or Big 7? Well to be honest, I'm sure the Amber could give the Level 4 a run for its money. The Level 5? Pretty close, but Amber lacks the slam and resolving power the dual mono power supply and boutique parts the Level 5 is powered with. Remember the Level 5 was the most musical DAC I'd heard until the Big 7 experience. The Big 6, aka the Fikus DAC, I can't speak to as I've never heard one. I'd sure like to though (Fred and Lukasz! You listening? Hint, Hint). Ok the Big 7? In a word no, the Big 7 is  just over the top. See above.
I've certainly not heard even a fraction of the DACs available today. But for $2000.00 Amber has to be one of the great buys in audio. I've not even tried tube tolling or inserting an audiophile fuse into it. Why? Just to busy listening.

Breaking News!

According to the Lampizator site Amber can now be customized with premium parts like Jupiter and Dueland Caps and other goodies. Plus DSD. Looks like Lukasz just can't help himself.

Good listening,
Steven

The Review System

Music Server(s): Audio PC Zuma Clone

Music Server Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8.1 (64-bit), Windows a Server 2012 r2

Software: jRemote, JRiver, jPlay, Audio Optimizer, dbPoweramp

Preferred Digital Interface(s):
USB, AES/EBU (Single Wire), S/PDIF Coaxial (RCA), Ethernet (UPnP/DLNA), Bluetooth

DAC(s): Lampizator Big7 Gen 5, PS Audio Direct Stream

Transports: Lampizator USB Transport, Oppo, LG BluRay

Preamplifier(s)  TRL The Dude, Coda CP

Amplifier(s): 2 CODA CSX 350 Watt Stereo Amps
Loudspeakers: Legacy Audio Helix and Focus SE (The V arrives in April.)

Interconnects: Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR
25 foot pair, 10 foot pair, 2 meter pair, 3 1 meter pairs
Loudspeaker Cables: Signal Cable Ultra 3 8 foot pairs

Power Cables: Signal Cable MagicPower PCs, MagicPower Digital Reference, TRL, Running Springs, Transparent, PS Audio, BPT, Clarus Crimson

Power Conditioning: PurePower 2000 and 3000

Remote Control(s): iPad Aire 2, iPad Mini

Headphones: Hervic

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated or related to the folks at Lampizator in any way. Nor do I profit in any way or accepted any favors or equipment from writing this review.

wisnon

Re: AMBER ALERT!!! - LampizatOr Holiday Season Group Buy
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:36 am »
Hugo is nice.  My Lampi Big 7 blows my Hugo away and it has been on maybe 10 hours tops.
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I experienced this Summer at AL's house...he owns both Dacs, as well as an MSB Platinum stack, Mytek, AudioGD and PSA Direct Stream. It was not even close.

kartracer

Does anyone know if the Lampi's USB input is compatible with the Sonic Orbiter's USB output?  I'd hate to buy one and have it not work.   :(

Gopher

What is the sonici orbiter's operating system?  Linux?

barrows

• Industry Participant
Yes, the Sonic Orbiter uses a proprietray Linux variant.  Its USB output should be compatible with anything using a USB Class 2 compliant USB receiver (like XMOS, etc).

Wig

Guys,

Have you received your Amber Dac and how are you liking it?

Wig