Recent hi-res purchases worthy of special mention

Phil A

Re: Recent hi-res purchases worthy of special mention
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2015, 04:44 pm »
I think I have at least 5 versions of the 2nd in hi-rez.  I believe I have these four in DSD

Fischer & Budapest FO
Gergiev & London SO
Kaplan & Vienna PO
Tilson Thomas & SFSO

and I believe I have Mehta and the Israel Philharmonic in 24/88.2

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2015, 06:52 pm »
The MTT is well recorded, that's for sure

pconley2

« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2015, 07:11 pm »
Phil A, I like the rack you have your main system set up on, what is it?

Phil C

I can tell you some of the parts of the recording I recommended are really dynamic.  In the main system (where I use HAL's MS-2 music server with a Meitner DAC - pic below), I have two Rel Storm III subs crossed over at 22 Hz.  My secondary main music system (2nd pic below) has HAL's MS-3 music server with a Teac DAC and a Rel Strata III sub and the room is not huge (small bedroom) and it is a really nice recording.

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 6 May 2015, 07:20 pm »
Odyssey Audio built it.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 6 May 2015, 07:22 pm »
Here's a thread with other racks made by them (there is choice in configuration, finish, post color, etc.)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120406.0

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2015, 06:10 am »
Another SACD of special mention: Tomita - The Tale of Genji, a Symphonic Fantasy Ultimate Edition.

I've got a few Tomita SACDs and have been mightily impressed with the discrete multichannel mixes and in some cases, the music (The Planets Ultimate Edition is excellent imo) and a couple of days ago, I added The Tale of Genji (a 2xSACD title) to my collection. As expected, the rear channels in this 5.0 release are well utilised with sometimes static and sometimes sweeping music and the dynamic range is similarly impressive.

As for the music, it's positively enchanting and the narrator's soft and delicate voice was as mesmerising as the music magical. More than that though, the whispery narration seemed to invite me into an intimate and hidden world where she and I were alone. So palpable was this sensation, I'm sure if I were ever stranded on a desert island with only her voice as my Girl Friday, I would never feel alone. There's another voice in the tale though, a voice of foreboding...

As you'd expect from the title, The Tale of Genji is a symphonic fantasy and although it has some resemblance to what we might recognise as symphonic music, it's unmistakably oriental, but that shouldn't put anyone off because it's neither classical nor oriental, a blend of both perhaps, and if you're comfortable with classical, it's a good bet you'll be equally enchanted by The Tale of Genji...and if you have a surround sound setup, you're in for a treat!

Derek