Adventures in resistive loading

TheChairGuy

Adventures in resistive loading
« on: 28 Jun 2008, 03:22 pm »
We have a really long topic going on at the Vinyl Engine on this subject...but I thought it potentially worthy and benficial to many of you to share my findings in resistive loading (that is, adding resistor values in parallel with the current 50K built into the deck to arrive at lesser values for different cartridges)

After playing with 5 different loading values (thankfully made by Philadelphia native and member neobop over there...I don't think he's a member here  :scratch:), here is what I found:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only set up my entire stereo system only 4 weeks ago....after moving homes....and my TT no longer sits on a dedicated (sand-filled) steel Target stand.  My wife and I agreed given the layout of the office/listening room, hiding the components in a large armoire would be best.  I like it clean like this....the only thing one sees is the nice rosewood colored standamount speakers.

I had neobop's loading plugs in hand 4 weeks ago, so I have had them mounted, in parallel with my 50K preamp inputs, since that time.  They are attached by the least sonically punishing form of splitter than I know of....a 2" long piece of brass (with teflon dialectric) splitting off into 2 females.  The wire splitter/adaptors all change the sound worse I've found.

So, I've had this adaptor/splitter on for 4 weeks, just playing with the different values that neobop has provided (which has been amazingly thought provoking exercise, frank-ly :wink:)

Tho the loading values surely were noticable with both Grado Gold/shibata and Ortofon X5-MC alike in every instance.....I just wasn't getting that glorious top end out of either at any value of loading.  Both of these cartridges have previously demonstrated outstanding, bell like beautiful treble....and since installing my new set up, the treble has been on par with my CD (which is not a good thing)

I've been thinking it's either the lack of dedicated stand or the fact that I am using my lesser favorite speakers...that my old Linaeums are needed.

Well yesterday I removed the adaptor and loading plugs and, VIOLA!! - beautiful top end returns in spades. 

So, as it turns out in my long experiment here.....simplicity once again pays off in vinyl.  The addition of the 2" adaptor/splitter added additional joints where precious signal was lost....and overcame the obvious benefit of adding the loading plugs  :cry:

Running the deck right into the MM inputs of my full featured pre-amp is best.....very direct and the sound greatly benefits overall.

So, here's what I learned or re-learned:

1.  Simple is best with vinyl.  An inline phono stage will add complexity (added rca joints, longer transmission line, more solder joints and added capacitance)...best to run straight into a good standalone receiver/preamp/integrated and not concern oneself with loading values

2.  The only way to load properly and most benficially for best sonics is to load within the unit itself ...when you add parallel loading and the extra joints you actually do harm to the sonics.

The extremely meager cartridge voltages require as straight a line as possible with as few breaks as possible, all other things equal.  Once you add - you subtract from vinyl.  I love semi-auto or auto-lift and a straight path into the phono equipped preamp....no step up or anything additional in between  :)

I loved the experiment, overall - great thanks to neobop

Now, I need to find someone that can devise a way inside my preamp to change resistive values out easily...or buy a preamp already equipped this way (several Krells and even the old Hafler Iris had change out resistive options...requiring no soldering skills)

John

(btw, here is a pic of the type of adaptor/splitter used)

strider

Re: Adventures in resistive loading
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2008, 05:46 pm »
I've been following the thread on Vinyl Engine and, after all that, it's nice to hear that the simpler option turned out to be the best.

The picture is very helpful, I've been trying to envision what the loading plugs looked like, but to no avail. What I still don't understand, and this may be a stupid question, is how the RCA's from the turntable are attached to the loading plugs. I'm assuming that the male end of the plug runs into the preamp inputs, but what happens at the 2 female ends of the plugs?

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2008, 06:25 pm »
I have never liked fiddling with cartridge loading. Especially when most of the MM's recommend 47K. That's the standard for MM. I am sure it's fun to play with, but in the long run how do you know?

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2008, 07:00 pm »
I've been following the thread on Vinyl Engine and, after all that, it's nice to hear that the simpler option turned out to be the best.

The picture is very helpful, I've been trying to envision what the loading plugs looked like, but to no avail. What I still don't understand, and this may be a stupid question, is how the RCA's from the turntable are attached to the loading plugs. I'm assuming that the male end of the plug runs into the preamp inputs, but what happens at the 2 female ends of the plugs?

strider,

Here is my actual Y splitter.....with one leg containing an rca plug with a resistor allowing my cartridge to 'see' a 27.8K load (when inserted into the 50K input of the preamp).  The other female side is where your phono leads go into....the male side is inserted into your preamp

Loading truly matters greatly, on MM or MC cartridges, however the benefit of it, I found, is outweighed by the 'poison' added by the Y splitter in the chain.

If your gonna' resistive load your preamp, as Steve McCormack (or McCormack Audio and SMc Audio) said in an earlier post....do it inside your preamp and not load them in parallel with an existing load.  The sonic virtues of loading are thus met....without the 'poison' of the Y splitter added to the mix.

I'm off on a new adventure now....selectable resistance loading (not just typical MC values) for all cartridges in a standalone preamp  aa

(btw everybody, the DUAL 701 fully serviced by FixMyDUAL's Bill Neumann in Iowa, with upgraded wood base, is a very, very nice (DD/suspended) deck.  With soldered in shielded Monster Cable Interlink leads is quiet as a church mouse and the bass is terrific.  I have it playing with my ADC XLM MK. III Improved...and that cartridge has never sounded better.  I hope to mount my favorite Grado Gold/shibata on it soon)

John

strider

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2008, 07:18 pm »
Ah ha! That makes sense now, thank you!