Class D versus the rest

werd

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #920 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
I have been given the green light to ship one amp to the cryoman. The two 1500's should be here tomorrow. I will send the other to you. I doubt if either amp is fully burned in, they were used only one time at one of their local concerts.

Please pm me your address.

:lol: So they heard it once and sold it?

JohnR

« Reply #921 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:37 am »
werd, why don't you give it a rest, you don't seem to have anything useful to contribute to this thread.

werd

« Reply #922 on: 12 Nov 2014, 02:41 am »
Ok

dlaloum

« Reply #923 on: 12 Nov 2014, 04:40 am »
The Gallo's I use go down to 2 ohm( circa ), and it is the crown's ability to handle this which is what makes it sing....

a.wayne

« Reply #924 on: 12 Nov 2014, 09:17 pm »
Where did everyone go ........Jack's house ? :D

Folsom

« Reply #925 on: 12 Nov 2014, 09:20 pm »
We formed an inner circle within the thread, and got bored. I'm sure reviews will roll in.

rodge827

« Reply #926 on: 12 Nov 2014, 11:46 pm »
Tomy2Tone started a Crown Amp thread over in the Lab Circle, you'll find all the play'as over there.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.msg1376332#new

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #927 on: 13 Nov 2014, 04:21 pm »
I just got my Odyssey Stratos Plus or Extreme, I haven't looked to see which it is yet. Thanks ZLS! :)   

It's a really nice sounding amp! Slightly warm with great resolution and dynamics. I have not A/B'ed with the Crown yet, but I can say it'll be pretty close. One issue is the gain is not adjustable and my tube preamp is way too hot, this amp does not need any additional gain. That means there is more noise as I have to attenuate the signal far too much. A tube buffer or passive pre would be a better match with this amp. Despite that, it's sounding great... no doubt this is a very good amp.

sonicxtc

« Reply #928 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:13 pm »
werd, why don't you give it a rest, you don't seem to have anything useful to contribute to this thread.
+1. I aimed to get this across politely a few pages ago. Hey, I think it's great that someone has convictions and probably some valid points, but most of us want information based on ACTUAL listening experience, not supposition. Let's focus on "listening." Thanks.

Quote from: *Scotty* on Yesterday at 12:42 am

It might make sense to split this thread into two separate threads one dealing specifically with the Crown digital amplifier series.
    Scotty[/b]

For the Love of God, yes.

Yes, this has been a long thread now mostly focusing on Crown XLS or "Crown versus..." . I think this was a wise move to create a new thread. Thank you. I'm highlighting it here for anyone just joining us from a long voyage in outer space. I look forward to the sincere respected opinions of the AC members auditioning the Crown amps and providing "amperical" evidence. Thank you.

Here's the link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.msg1376332#new

We now return you to our regularly scheduled ampdramedy.
Tune in next week for "Asoundalypse: The X Men Return with Class X amplifiers"
[Okay, I should have edited this].  :duh:

mirekti

« Reply #929 on: 31 Mar 2016, 04:09 pm »
Well, it's been more than a year since the last post.
Has anyone changed his mind about the Class D vs the rest?

In the mean time I noticed NAD released M22 which is based on nCore and one can get it for $3k. Also, Nelson released F7 class A which by many surpasses all his F development up to now and it does it so by a margin and the price is ...well, $3k.

I understand some things are speaker dependent, but it would be great to hear some comparison thoughts between those two.

kingdeezie

« Reply #930 on: 31 Mar 2016, 05:05 pm »
Well, it's been more than a year since the last post.
Has anyone changed his mind about the Class D vs the rest?

In the mean time I noticed NAD released M22 which is based on nCore and one can get it for $3k. Also, Nelson released F7 class A which by many surpasses all his F development up to now and it does it so by a margin and the price is ...well, $3k.

I understand some things are speaker dependent, but it would be great to hear some comparison thoughts between those two.

I moved over to the Class D side about 8 months ago, and haven't regretted it.

I had a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250s. They sounded great with my previous speakers, but when I got my Salk Exotica 3s, the sound was too much of a good thing. The Manleys were for sure space heaters, and would turn my smallish room into a sauna.

I wanted something that would run significantly cooler, so I figured I would start with something Class D, and see if I could tolerate all the "shortcomings" that everyone on the internet talks about.

I went with a pair of Merrill Audio Thor monoblocks, based on wattage needs. I didn't think I needed the full 400 watts of the Veritas with a 93DB efficiency, an active lower end, and my smallish room. I didn't realize at the time that the Thors were only UCD, and not full on NCORE based units.

Sound wise I lost presence. The Manleys did the 3D vocals illusion better. Everything was also more dense in texture and tone. I could see for vocals, folk, opera, etc ,etc, someone greatly prefering the Manleys.

I, however, listen to a lot of Jazz, Rock, Blues, Metal, etc, etc, and I crave dynamics and fast transients. The Thors do this significantly better. They are also dead quiet, low maintenance (goodbye yearly power tube replacement), and run super cool. Hours upon hours of playing, without a single bead of sweat to be seen on the chassis.

I do always wonder what the full NC1200 Veritas might bring to the table, but then I just start enjoying the music, and forget about it.

Its also worth noting that Merrill has great customer service, and I would recommend anyone looking into Class D, check out his offerings. 

will mac

« Reply #931 on: 3 Feb 2019, 04:21 pm »
Resurrection

Just reading thru this epic thread after coming to the conclusion that Class D has too many advantages and now has probably reached a certain acceptance.
How do the texas instruments evaluation boards compare with Hypex boards? I've been hearing v good things about a couple of their new chips.

wushuliu

« Reply #932 on: 3 Feb 2019, 09:22 pm »
Resurrection

Just reading thru this epic thread after coming to the conclusion that Class D has too many advantages and now has probably reached a certain acceptance.
How do the texas instruments evaluation boards compare with Hypex boards? I've been hearing v good things about a couple of their new chips.

I'm not aware of anyone who has listened to both...

ClefChef

« Reply #933 on: 4 Feb 2019, 12:34 am »
I'm not aware of anyone who has listened to both...

I have...

N400, N500, TPA3116, TPA3250, TPA3251, TPA3255 (both TI and e3-audio), also various modifications of IRS2092 with various power supplies, feedback schemes, and input buffers.
All of them sound excellent in a particular combination, while not so great in others. After all it all boils down to cost, and Hypex has done it.