Music that was playing in our room at the show -- What's playing in your room?

David C.

Thelonius Monk: Monk Alone

Slow, deliberate, crunchy, chewy. Monk on solo piano, noodling away for two CDs. Music to lift weights by.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
All,

Here are some really nice albums from World Circuit Records of London (very well-recorded, I might add):

Afrocubism (the original idea for the project that became Buena Vista Social Club).  Cuba meets Mali - awesome!

Orlando Cachaito Lopez (The debut album from the bass player of the Buena Vista Social Club). 

Toumani Diabate - The Mande Variations.  He is one amazing kora (West African Harp) player!

Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate - Ali and Toumani.  Sit back and listen in awe - This recording was the last one made by two of West Africa's pre-eminent folk instrumentalists (due to the death of Ali Farka Toure in 2006)

Ali Farka Toure - Savane.  The Hotel Mande Sessions -- A very powerful last studio performance by the great African guitarist. 

More artists from World Circuit Records can be found here: http://www.worldcircuit.co.uk

Happy Listening!  :thumb:

Vinnie

R Browne

Nice selections, Vinnie. 8) Another great talent from Africa is Boubacar Traore. Here's one of my favorites:

Boubacar Traore - Kar Kar

Major Roadrash

"No Fool for Trying" is a 2009 release from the female alt-country duo called Madison Violet. 

Its first track, entitled "The Ransom", won the 2009 John Lennon Songwriting Contest "Song of The Year" and the track entitled "Crying" got lots of play on CBC Radio 2, which is where I first heard of them.

Upbeat, original songs with tight harmonies and lots of acoustic guitar, fiddle, banjo and upright bass in the mix.

Very highly recommended!
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2011, 01:53 am by Major Roadrash »

cfcjb

Sandy Denny - A boxful of Treasures. The title is a massive understatement, by the way.
This compilation spans her career. From her early demos, thru her stint with Fairport Convention, then on to her own band and finally her solo stuff.
I can't even begin to tell you how unutterably brilliant this woman is.
THE most beautiful crystalline voice you have heard this side of Ella Fitzgerald, some serious song writing chops and oh, did I mention that voice? If it was the only voice I heard for the rest of my life, I'd die a happy man.
What I will say, is that she is the GREATEST female folk singer, ever. Full stop. On either side of the Atlantic.  Better than Saint Joan of the Baez, better than Judy Collins, better than anybody you can think of.
Now I know these are fighting words and comparisons, especially musical ones, are odious at best, but still, I tell you, she is the GREATEST. EVER. FULL STOP.

If you are a lover of folk music, heck, if you're really a lover of music, then get this. It is expensive but it's pretty definitive (there was a recent limited edition release 20 cd box set that sold out in moments and is now selling for a thousand dollars) and totally, totaly worth it and then some.

Sandy never got her due during her very short life and in death, she is no more than a minor cult figure, but believe me, if there is any justice, she deserved and still deserves so much more than that.

Buy it, listen to it, don't bother to thank me ;-) and that includes you too Mr Rossi.

Profbratsch

Buy it, listen to it, don't bother to thank me ;-)

I bought the set on E-bay this morning on your recommendation.  Does that mean if I don't like it I can't blame you?  :wink:

cfcjb

I bought the set on E-bay this morning on your recommendation.  Does that mean if I don't like it I can't blame you?  :wink:

Profbratsch, you are indeed a man of taste and distinction.

Do you know that feeling that you get when you hear someone so musically gifted that you sit there in awe and then you listen to some of your other favorite artists and you kind of laugh, because as good as they are, they can never be, that good . Sandy Denny was THAT good.
You'll like her.

P.S. Please spread the word. She never caught fire in her lifetime. Maybe now we can grow a slow fire.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm by cfcjb »

David C.

The John Scofield Band - Up All Night

Old Man Sco funkin' the night away. Yes, we have cowbell.

Major Roadrash

This is the third release (and best IMO) from Montreal's indie-rock sensation Arcade Fire.  Its entitled "The Suburbs" and it was on a lot of Best of 2010 lists.  Last Sunday it won the Grammy award for Album of the Year.

If you aren't familiar with their music, this is a good place to start especially since, to celebrate their Grammy, Arcade Fire is temporarily making the FLAC download of the full album available through their website (arcadefire.com) for only $3.50 US.  A great example of the control independent bands have over the pricing and distribution of their music via the internet.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting about this offer, I have no connection to, or financial interest in, Arcade Fire, I just think it's a great album and a nice gesture by them to their fans.

Even if you're not into their music, if you have college age kids, you can impress them with your coolness by casually playing this where they can hear it!  LOL.

cfcjb

John Grant - "Queen of Denmark"

"Baby, you are where dreams go to die, and I regret the day
your lovely carcass caught my eye, baby, you are where dreams go to die"

Exquisite chamber pop with a 70s (think Carpenters) vibe.
Mojo's album of the year, and rightly so.

David C.

Sabine Meyer - Mozart's Clarinet Concerto and Sinfonia concertante

Vigorous and cheerful - perfect spring music.

Major Roadrash

Tuned into SNL last night for the first time in a million years to see Mick Jagger as host and musical guest. He's not much of an actor but he performed "The Last Time" with Arcade Fire for one of the musical spots and they really tore the place up!

You can see it here...http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mick-jagger-and-arcade-fire-the-last-time/1402579/

I wonder if Keith, Woody and Charlie are pissed...?

canumbra

I'll just pick three best CDs that are really good to listen to via my Corvina.

1. Paul Galbraith - Bach Partitas and Sonatas
2. Duke Jordan - Flight to Denmark
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words

Of course there are so many awesome albums in the world. But these are all time favorites!

Jannemann

My absolute favorit when it comes to male voices. And in addition maybe the best live recording ever.

Ern Dog

My most favorite new to me artist is Sophie Barker's "A Rare collection of songs".  The music is stripped down to just Sophie's voice and guitar.  It is very intimate music.  It always opens my heart.  It is recorded very well too. 

The only downside is that it is only avail by Download via Flac, mp3, and a couple more versions.  It is cd quality download, plus you get to name your price!  How cool is that.  Get it at: http://sophiebarker.bandcamp.com/album/a-rare-collection-of-songs

coldfogey

Hey Jannemann,

If you like  BIG DADDY WILSON,  check out the Video,  GREGOR HILDEN,  " LIVE AT THE LUNA " The song is Shufflin.  The vocalist is a guy named Wilson B.  I think you  will like it.  Just GOOGLE it.

coldfogey

Hi jannemann,
Its the first Video listed, it says from the new DVD 68.  He calls the song   Sittin In The Shade.

blocks

Thelonius Monk: Monk Alone

Slow, deliberate, crunchy, chewy. Monk on solo piano, noodling away for two CDs. Music to lift weights by.

Ahhh Such a gem. Love It! :thumb: :thumb: