Meet the new AudioKinesis Zephrin 46!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Meet the new AudioKinesis Zephrin 46!
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jun 2014, 05:17 pm »
I can't add anything to this show comment, just posted minutes ago:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/06/25/newport-2014-audiokinesis-and-electra-fidelity/

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jun 2014, 11:27 pm »
Very nice James and Duke!

Brian Walsh

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2014, 01:15 am »
In a momentary lapse of sanity today this inspiration for an ad came to me. I hope you all like it and will come for a listen once they have arrived here in August.

roscoeiii

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2014, 04:17 am »
Brian,  it is great knowing there will be a pair in the Chicagoland area.  Great meeting you at the Headfi event last week.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #44 on: 29 Jun 2014, 05:18 am »
Brian,  it is great knowing there will be a pair in the Chicagoland area.  Great meeting you at the Headfi event last week.
Thanks, roscoe! And as I said toward the end of my little blurb about the iFi stuff when the iPurifiers were given away, you're invited to my cookout party on Saturday, August 23rd. Lots of food and fun, and the Zephrins ought to be singing nicely inside!

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2014, 03:27 pm »
Thanks, roscoe! And as I said toward the end of my little blurb about the iFi stuff when the iPurifiers were given away, you're invited to my cookout party on Saturday, August 23rd. Lots of food and fun, and the Zephrins ought to be singing nicely inside!

Oh it is on the calendar!

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #46 on: 29 Jun 2014, 04:43 pm »
Love the poster/flyer Brian! Thanks for the laugh.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 9 Jul 2014, 05:49 am »
Thought I'd post images of my sound room adorned with Zephrin 46.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:39 am »

The paint is not low in cost, but it's pretty!  The unique shape seems to take well to paint.  The longer I saw these cabinets the more I liked the color and appearance.  Of all the images I took I think this one best approximates the live appearance. 

More images at my FB page (wanted to save space here): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204709296434835&set=pcb.10204709346996099&type=1&theater 

Late 70s Porsche Sienna Brown Metallic, #436:

Brian Walsh

« Reply #49 on: 15 Aug 2014, 04:33 am »
These are due to arrive here later next week, and everyone is invited to check them out.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 15 Aug 2014, 05:04 am »
I'm very curious if I shall like them better with grills (black knit cloth) or naked...presume the latter, but we'll see. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 15 Aug 2014, 05:11 am »
Duke, have you or your "marketing department" come up with any similarly functional but alternate shapes for this speaker?
I can't help but think the shape/appearance and size will keep it out of many a living room.
Could it be that some sort of molding process could be used here to advantage to create a more curvaceous shape and reduce diffraction as a by-product?

I understand that generous internal volume is an essential part of this formula but perhaps the bulk could be disguised a little through clever design. Could you run it through the design department and see what they say?

I guess they are simply too big to try the black sock treatment on, like the early Vandersteens, but I always thought that was a clever minimalist way to make a speaker look finished with just the top and bottom plate actually finished wood - and the bottom having only the edges done, I think.

I think I would find the appearance too distracting as they are with naked drivers. A grill down the middle third of the front would work, I think.
(edited Aug 15 for spelling of "Vandersteen")
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 04:11 pm by Russell Dawkins »

Brian Walsh

« Reply #52 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:05 pm »
I think I would find the appearance too distracting as they are with naked drivers. A grill down the middle third of the front would work, I think.
Hold that thought, Russell. In a few days or a week you'll see photos of the finished speakers with grilles on them.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #53 on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:51 am »
The speakers are on the way here, but meanwhile here's a parting shot of them Duke took before putting them in the crates:

Actually this is 25% of the size of the image he sent, so if anyone wants the full size one, email me, brian (at) essentialaudio (dot) com

Brian Walsh

« Reply #54 on: 21 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »
The Zephrins have landed! Lousy snapshots from phone; much better photos coming. Just ridiculously sexy!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #55 on: 21 Aug 2014, 08:45 pm »
Thanks for posting those, Brian!

Duke, have you or your "marketing department" come up with any similarly functional but alternate shapes for this speaker?

There is another shape that I was thinking about but discarded in favor if the Z.  It might still happen, but it's not high on the list at the moment. 

Could it be that some sort of molding process could be used here to advantage to create a more curvaceous shape and reduce diffraction as a by-product?

That would be nice, but the cost of such a mold is well beyond my means.

The pattern control of the horns greatly reduces the audible consequence of those sharp cabinet edges, particularly in the frequency region where the ear is most sensitive to diffraction effects (ballpark 4 kHz, where the ear's sensitivity to a lot of things peaks).  Down in the woofer's range, where the cabinet edges are more in play, it would take a large round-over (1/4 wavelength in radius is the rule of thumb) to be effective.  Also, one net effect of the upfiring array is that it helps to disguise the fact that the speakers are the sound source.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:31 am »
I was anxious to hook up Zephrin 46 after Newport THE Show, and replace Dream Maker LCS. 

Smaller LCS speakers soon replace the first edition/larger LCS...we also work on a "Power Amp/Controller" to sell with separate LCS speakers, to allow owners of any pre-existing speakers to add the LCS speakers and the Power Amp Controller.  The 150Wpc Power Amp/Controller includes volume, speaker level inputs, a "Decorrelator" switch (on/bypass) and 3-D Bass Mode Cancelling switch that inverts polarity of  L or R ch LCS (or bypass).  The LCS delay is so long relative to on-axis output that inverting LCS polarity is inaudible in the mid/treble.  But inverting its polarity damps bass modes because of its different geographic location relative to the other three bass sources.  No other speaker in the world offers such feature except a Distributed Bass Array.  It's very cool, and works as advertised very well. 

Back to Zephrin 46 vs. Dream Maker LCS.  I can't say for sure, but presume DM LCS is more refined simply because of its more costly drivers.  But I'm positive I prefer Zephrin 46 over the front half of DM LCS, also known as Jazz Module 2.0.

Since I set up Z 46 after Newport, I still notice absolutely no negative artifact or signature.  I do enjoy the lower cutoff of my Distributed Bass Reflex Array, but could and would live without the subs if I had to.

IMO the two speakers priced around $5k/pr most likely to compete directly with Z 46 are Revel's $5k/pr Performa3 F208 and Sandy Gross' $5k/pr Goldenear Triton One Tower.  I plan to hear both of these models at the first opportunity. 

I would imagine F208 has slightly deeper bass cutoff, and Triton lower still.  Both might have ever so slightly more resolution and/or refinement of fine detail.  But till I hear differently, based on my sum total listening experience, I presume Z 46's image and spatial effects outperform both F208 and Triton One. 

Over the past couple years, I'm only more and more convinced LCS radiation pattern provides the best image and stage performance, especially vs. regular mono pole pattern in a speaker in the same price range.

Another LCS advantage is that no other stereo speaker system provides this level of phantom center ch performance.  As a HT Front array, two Zephrin 46 outperform any known Front LCR array of speakers, because LCS front depth of field and stage size and image height is so much more compelling.  HT speaker systems, especially the front array, are generally engineered for almost no reverberant field, relying on side and rear surrounds for depth of field.  But think about surround speaker locations.  They can increase the front depth of field in front of the Front LCR, but not behind them.     

This is the first stereo set to make you actually forget about LCR array for HT.     

Even if Triton One has digital bass EQ, I presume Z 46's 3-D bass damping results in smoothest bass throughout the entire listening room, not just at mic locations.   

Plus, as a package, adding amplifier cost to the mix, Z 46 comes out ahead vs. both models.  Even though Triton One requires amp for only it's mid/treble, I'd bet lunch money it's impedance curve and phase angle requires more current and voltage vs. Z 46.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #57 on: 23 Aug 2014, 02:17 pm »
The Zephrins have landed! Lousy snapshots from phone; much better photos coming. Just ridiculously sexy!

Look forward to seeing (and hearing!) these in person.

Brian, sent you a PM about time and address for the BBQ today.

Brian Walsh

« Reply #58 on: 24 Aug 2014, 02:28 pm »
Look forward to seeing (and hearing!) these in person.

Brian, sent you a PM about time and address for the BBQ today.
Replied (late - sorry) to your PM letting you know of an open house I'm planning for next Saturday, August 30th which will focus on the Zephrins.

Anyone else interested in attending, please email me (brian at essentialaudio dot com) or call me at 773-809-4434. Please don't PM me here because there's a high chance I won't catch it in time, as happened with Roscoe.

The feedback on the painted finish so far has been very, very positive. The same goes for the grilles.

roscoeiii

« Reply #59 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:00 pm »
So sweat Brian.  A Headfi buddy sent me the details,  but I ended up having other things come up and couldn't make it.