COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #200 on: 10 Sep 2017, 06:53 pm »
USC crushes Stanford 42-14. So far, so good.

See you in the Championships.  :thumb:

Emil

« Reply #201 on: 11 Sep 2017, 05:37 pm »
New top 10 is out:

BIG drop for Ohio State.
I guess AP see going 2-0 against lesser teams carries more weight than 1-1 with a loss from a top 5 team ( Oklahoma)

1) Alabama
2) Oklahoma
3) Clemson
4) USC
5) Penn State :thumb:
6) Washington
7) Michigan
8 ) Ohio State
9) Oklahoma State
10) Wisconsin

Mudslide

« Reply #202 on: 12 Sep 2017, 06:08 am »
Here is my ranking

1-Alabama, 2-Oklahoma, 3-Clemson, 4-USC, 5-Penn State, 6-Michigan, 7-Ohio State (I think that they may end up out of the top 10 if they don't figure out their passing game and pass defense, Indiana gave them fits and then OU exposed them), 8-Washington, 9-Oklahoma State, 10-Wisconsin

I am still not sold on USC, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma State (running game and defense are suspect, and they are my team).  Lets see how the next 3-4 games go.

I like your ranking.  I also agree that some are tenuous...USC, PSU (sorry Emil) and tOSU.  USC in particular hasn't been tested, yet.  Stanford is not the power house it has been in past years.  OKSt is going to put it together this year, I think.  The Big 12 kinda sucks this year and OKSt gets OU at home. 

Don'tcha love this sport?!   :thumb:

Emil

« Reply #203 on: 12 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm »
I like your ranking.  I also agree that some are tenuous...USC, PSU (sorry Emil) and tOSU.  USC in particular hasn't been tested, yet.  Stanford is not the power house it has been in past years.  OKSt is going to put it together this year, I think.  The Big 12 kinda sucks this year and OKSt gets OU at home. 

Don'tcha love this sport?!   :thumb:

No offense taken, Mudslide :lol:

Although the game against Pitt was never in doubt, they did not look good.
They need to get their act together before playing Iowa in 2 weeks

Mudslide

« Reply #204 on: 17 Sep 2017, 08:24 pm »
Yea Ducks!   :bounce:  UO got ranked this week!  I still have some trepidation, but it's looking better and better for a decent sized turnaround for my boys.  (Thank goodness they got rid of that coaching staff from last year.)  The offense is lethal and the defense is 100% improved over last year's debacle.  By year's end, both the QB (Herbert) and RB (Freeman) will be All-Americans.  Rosen and Darnold get all the press, likely because they're from Los Angeles teams.  But Herbert is the superior QB (and gets little press).  Watch for him.

Year after year, UCLA gets hyped and falls on its patoot.  I warned you that Stanford is a shadow of its former self.  And USC is, as usual, over-hyped.  And...I might have been dead wrong about PSU.  They 'could' be the real deal with a real deal coach.   :beer:  Get 'em, Emil!

And one question whose answer evades me...how does Saban continue to get the top recruits (though this year may be an exception)??  He's kind of a pain in the A$$ and isn't all that innovative.  I know he puts guys in the "League".  But they're already the best college players when he recruits them.   :dunno:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #205 on: 17 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm »
Oklahoma State Alum and fan.  I won't be convinced that the Cowboys are for real until they play a good team.  Their running game is suspect and their defense has not been tested.  They should have more sacks and take aways. The passing game is for real though. They will be tested by TCU next week.

Go Pokes!

Penn State, USC, Ohio State and Michigan still need to prove themselves.  They have their weaknesses.
Alabama looked bad against Colorado State and they are beatable.

I think that this year, the number one spot is up for grabs more than the last few years.

fredgarvin

« Reply #206 on: 17 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm »
Yea Ducks!   :bounce:  UO got ranked this week!  I still have some trepidation, but it's looking better and better for a decent sized turnaround for my boys.  (Thank goodness they got rid of that coaching staff from last year.)  The offense is lethal and the defense is 100% improved over last year's debacle.  By year's end, both the QB (Herbert) and RB (Freeman) will be All-Americans.  Rosen and Darnold get all the press, likely because they're from Los Angeles teams.  But Herbert is the superior QB (and gets little press).  Watch for him.

Year after year, UCLA gets hyped and falls on its patoot.  I warned you that Stanford is a shadow of its former self.  And USC is, as usual, over-hyped.  And...I might have been dead wrong about PSU.  They 'could' be the real deal with a real deal coach.   :beer:  Get 'em, Emil!

And one question whose answer evades me...how does Saban continue to get the top recruits (though this year may be an exception)??  He's kind of a pain in the A$$ and isn't all that innovative.  I know he puts guys in the "League".  But they're already the best college players when he recruits them.   :dunno:

The defense appears loads better than the last two seasons. Go Ducks! Yes PSU looks real tough.

Mudslide

« Reply #207 on: 18 Sep 2017, 12:28 am »
The defense appears loads better than the last two seasons. Go Ducks! Yes PSU looks real tough.

I just saw an interesting factoid.  The Ducks' Royce Freeman currently leads the nation in TDs with 9.  Tied for second with 6 is his backup, Kani Benoit.  Amazing.

Especially when those young DBs get their sea legs...the Ducks look to have a pretty decent defense.  (Thank you Jim Leavitt.)

Greyhound Fan...OKSt still is pretty intriguing.  Mason Rudolph...whoa...that man can dish it and the receivers are first rate.  Now they need to develop some consistency, I think.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #208 on: 18 Sep 2017, 02:13 am »
Right now I would probably put Clemson 1, Oklahoma 2 and Alabama 3 after CSU gave Bama fits.  I would like to see Bama play OU right now and get an ass whipping against a great Passing game and defense.  Of course the game against CSU could be a fluke.  If Okie State is for real, then I would put them at 4 but I think that they are posers and probably more like a 7 team but I think 4-10 teams are interchangeable for now.

The problem with Okie State is that they score so fast that the defense is on the field a lot.  And the games have been a blowout by half time and the second and third team defense plays the second half.  Thats when teams have been scoring on them.

Mike B.

« Reply #209 on: 18 Sep 2017, 02:39 pm »
Surprised in a good way at the Ducks so far. Can't figure out USC. Especially after the game against Texas. Same for the Washington Dawgs. They have not played anyone with credibility. Peterson is a great coach so expect them to be very good. Oklahoma and Clemson look like title contenders already.

charmerci

« Reply #210 on: 18 Sep 2017, 11:34 pm »

I heard or read somewhere that the best programs don't need to have great coaches - it's just about all in recruiting.

Mudslide

« Reply #211 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:16 am »

I heard or read somewhere that the best programs don't need to have great coaches - it's just about all in recruiting.

One wonders how much recruit "benefits" come into play and how pervasive it is.  It has long been surmised that the SEC has much under-the-table mischief going on.  Dunno.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #212 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:57 am »
One wonders how much recruit "benefits" come into play and how pervasive it is.  It has long been surmised that the SEC has much under-the-table mischief going on.  Dunno.

It is wide spread, especially in the top programs.  Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #213 on: 19 Sep 2017, 11:25 am »
I agree completely guys, I'm pretty sure everybody knows it's a rigged system and just turns a blind eye because of the multi millions involved.  It's amazing that schools like Notre Dame and Stanford that maintain academic standards can compete at all.  Now it's all about recruiting and with this much money involved of course everybody that wants to win cheats.  They really need to revamp the whole system, pay these kids a decent wage and provide comprehensive health care plans that extend to after their college playing days, it's effectively their full time job after all.  In the present system the coaches, schools, and tv networks pocket millions while the kids are left in the cold.  Especially if they're seriously injured, then they get thrown in the trash with no NFL career and no health insurance.  r/

stlrman

« Reply #214 on: 19 Sep 2017, 06:21 pm »
But most of these athletes are getting full scholarships, so in effect they are be paid $60- $125,00 over a 4 year career.
Actually a free ride at Stanford would be about $240,000

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #215 on: 19 Sep 2017, 06:41 pm »
But most of these athletes are getting full scholarships, so in effect they are be paid $60- $125,00 over a 4 year career.

I agree, but these guys should get a stipend and a percentage of any revenue for money made off their star power and merchandise sold.  The issue is, what about the average player.  I think that you need to spread the money around to all the players equally.  Even the walk on's.

Also, people forget that with out the football revenue, they would not have the fabulous football facilities and money for other sports.

Another issue is the disparity among programs.  If players are to get a stipend or merchandise revenue, then it has to be equal among all programs and universities.  It is a complex issue.

mmurt

« Reply #216 on: 19 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm »
Hey,
Where's all the love for San Diego State!  Coming off an 11-3 year with a bowl win and the leading all time NCAA rusher.  Now 3-0 with another great college back, Rashaad Penny.  He leads the nation in rushing and all purpose yards.   Yes it's not the SEC but still very good college football.  Best part, Aztecs drew 43,000 for their game against Stanford.  &*^$ LA Chargers couldn't draw 30,000!!!   Spans and the NFL, kiss our ass!  Go Aztecs!!

Mudslide

« Reply #217 on: 20 Sep 2017, 02:04 am »
Hey,
Where's all the love for San Diego State!  Coming off an 11-3 year with a bowl win and the leading all time NCAA rusher.  Now 3-0 with another great college back, Rashaad Penny.  He leads the nation in rushing and all purpose yards.   Yes it's not the SEC but still very good college football.  Best part, Aztecs drew 43,000 for their game against Stanford.  &*^$ LA Chargers couldn't draw 30,000!!!   Spans and the NFL, kiss our ass!  Go Aztecs!!

Oh yeah!  I watched the entire Stanford game...GO AZTECS!  Lovely game.

I did undergrad at Cal, grad work at SDSU and now cheer on the Ducks.  Last weekend was a VERY good weekend (and the entire start of the season) for me!   :singing:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #218 on: 20 Sep 2017, 02:07 am »
I was shocked when they beat Stanford.  They are the real deal. Or is Stanford not very good?  Probably somewhere in between.

Mudslide

« Reply #219 on: 21 Sep 2017, 03:52 am »
I was shocked when they beat Stanford.  They are the real deal. Or is Stanford not very good?  Probably somewhere in between.

It's a little of both, I think.  I was impressed with the SDSU defense.  They're a bit one dimensional on offense, but have enough with that fine scatback of theirs.  Stanford doesn't have an experienced O-line, so they kind of plod along with that so-called pro offense.  I'm not a fan of the Cardinal or their coach.  (Being from UC Berkeley...we're supposed to hate the Furd...and do.)   :wink: