« on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm »
Ryan, any more details on the Nimbus?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Nimbus
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:10 am »
Ryan, any more details on the Nimbus?

Great question  :thumb:

May I also request to know if any speakers are in the works with any driver larger than 10"?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:59 am »
Patience ... we're going to introduce with a bang soon! 

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:10 am »
Great question  :thumb:

May I also request to know if any speakers are in the works with any driver larger than 10"?

Depends . . . what you got in mind?   :wink:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:31 pm »
Depends . . . what you got in mind?   :wink:

I have an inkling that you guys are building something with a 12" driver I haven't seen anywhere else.  I cannot wait to see what the design looks like.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2013, 03:58 am »
I'm gonna sneak this in here, see if anybody notices  :lol:  That's a 15" hole by the way.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2013, 05:14 am »
That is an extremely beautiful design, hat off to whichever of you created it.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2013, 08:01 am »
I'm going to keep my ear on this. Please keep us posted.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2013, 10:21 am »
Very nice.  When will we see a finished pair?  Specs?   :thumb:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2013, 02:58 pm »
That is an extremely beautiful design, hat off to whichever of you created it.

Thanks!  It was a group effort for sure.  The cabinet was inspired originally by my 3-way you see in my avatar.  The cabinet maker used the same forms for those panels to craft the cabinet for the Nimbus.  Ryan had the vision for the angled top and MTM section.  The baffle design came from the Stiff Breeze.  That 15" hole will host the incredible Acoustic Elegance TD15H.  The mids will come in our black (Wavecor: used in our Breeze models) and white versions (Accuton 6").  Tweeter is the incredible RAAL 70-20XR.

Target specs are:

Sensitivity: ~92dB/2.83V
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Low frequency cut off -3dB: ~32Hz  /  25Hz in-room
Weight: ~250lbs
Dimensions: 53" H (from floor to peak) x 17.5" W (at the woofer center) x 26" D (including rear wall curve)
Recommended amps include everything from low powered SETs to 1000W + Solid State amps.

We'll be showing them at T.H.E. Newport Beach show at the end of the month, driven by a 40W 805 tube based SET from Arte Forma and Empirical Audio front end.
« Last Edit: 3 May 2013, 12:22 am by Pete Schumacher »

catastrofe

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2013, 03:03 pm »
Thanks!  It was a group effort for sure.  The cabinet was inspired originally by my 3-way you see in my avatar.  The cabinet maker used the same forms for those panels to craft the cabinet for the Nimbus.  Ryan had the vision for the angled top and MTM section.  The baffle design came from the Stiff Breeze.  That 15" hole will host the incredible Acoustic Elegance TD15H.  The mids will come in our black (Wavecor: used in our Breeze models) and white versions (Accuton 6").  Tweeter is the incredible RAAL 70-20XR.

Target specs are:

Sensitivity: ~92dB/2.83V
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Low frequency cut off -3dB: ~32Hz  /  25Hz in-room
Weight: ~250lbs
Recommended amps include everything from low powered SETs to 1000W + Solid State amps.

We'll be showing them at T.H.E. Newport Beach show at the end of the month, driven by a 40W 805 tube based SET from Arte Forma and Empirical Audio front end.

250lbs?!  How will you get them up my stairs?   :green:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2013, 03:12 pm »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2013, 03:16 pm »

catastrofe

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2013, 04:49 pm »
This should cover it. . .

EdRo

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2013, 06:09 pm »
I have to say,...Those must be the most STUNNING examples of cab fabrication anywhere!!! Double-WOW!!!

persisting1

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2013, 09:00 pm »
Will the Nimbus have a standard internal bracing or will there be some magic inside like the Cirrus?

cheap-Jack

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2013, 09:28 pm »
Hi.
That's a
250lbs?! 
by the way.

I really wish a huge 15" woofer & its 250lbs dead weight can warrant superb sound!

What super SET amp with what O/P power can drive such huge box with 15" woofer to deliver 25Hz in-room?

c-J

PS: there got to be some easier & 'lighter' way to build a loudspeaker system to deliver 25Hz in-room.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2013, 12:45 am »
Will the Nimbus have a standard internal bracing or will there be some magic inside like the Cirrus?

The internal bracing is made from 1" thick plum creek, an ultra-refined MDF product.  The walls also feature the Vapor Audio Inversion Layer acoustic treatment, a mass loading application that was first used in the Cirrus.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2013, 12:59 am »

I really wish a huge 15" woofer & its 250lbs dead weight can warrant superb sound!

What super SET amp with what O/P power can drive such huge box with 15" woofer to deliver 25Hz in-room?

c-J

PS: there got to be some easier & 'lighter' way to build a loudspeaker system to deliver 25Hz in-room.

What allows an SET amp to work with a massive speaker like this is the high sensitivity that such a design offers.

If the SET has transformers capable of delivering low frequencies, the Acoustic Elegance woofer, with its massive motor, will respond with ease.   With a predicted 32Hz -3dB point, room loading will augment the system to some extent, allowing in-room response into the 20s.

There are undoubtedly different methods for building a lighter weight enclosure that can deliver lows into the 20s.  One way is to substitute sensitivity for extension, build a smaller enclosure, tune it low, and throw a lot more power at it.  Of course, that puts SETs out of the running.  But if you want both extension and sensitivity, you MUST have a large enclosure.  And for it to be truly acoustically inert (dead), the construction must be extreme, or panel resonances will be a major contributor to the sound.  Extreme construction and large size results in a heavy speaker.  (See Hoffman's Iron Law)

EdRo

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2013, 11:34 am »
wow. That back panel arching gracefully up to the top piece, which then facets back down into the teardrop styled sides...has the builder studied at the Louvre? Has Leonardo daVinci been reanimated? These have transcended the physical world and have entered the elemental! Does the master find inspiration from his Koi pond? The elements of water (teardrop shape) and the Earth stretching for the heavens (the faceted top) are strongly represented. Visually stunning...expect calls from exclusive art galleries worldwide!