For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Photon46

Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #140 on: 23 Apr 2014, 10:18 am »
Yeah Rob, I constantly read knife reviews where some one is talking about only needing to sharpen their knife a couple times a year and I wonder how that's possible (or how low their standards are for "sharp enough.") Maybe they just don't cook that often? My wife and I use our Japanese knives many times every day as every meal we eat is cooked at home from scratch. Lots of chopping garlic, ginger, and onions as we cook gobs of Asian style food. Even using a leather strop with polishing paste every day to touch up the edge before use only gets me perhaps three weeks before I want to touch up the edges of our workhorse santoku knives again on a stone.

SET Man

« Reply #141 on: 24 Apr 2014, 04:16 am »
Hey!

Rob and Photon, if I use only one knife like my Misono, I usually sharpen very two weeks... sometime sooner. I've gone up to 3 weeks sometime with the help of smooth honing steel, of which I don't like to use often. With most knives including very good one. I can't imagine any real world restaurant kitchen that you could sharpen just couple times a year with with the help of honing steel.

Yes, people have different standard of "sharp" Some of the people at my work think they knives are very sharp, well at least until they feel my knives.  :wink:

Now I have the Goko of which I'm getting to know and comfortable with I can rotate and do sharpening less... I just have to do both at the same time of which a a big deal since both are easy to sharpen.

Anyway, man! 3 months on M390? Wow, that's unheard of.  :o

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #142 on: 24 Apr 2014, 05:28 am »
Funny- when I got to work today my boss pulled me into the office all excited, wanting to show me the new knife he ordered.  Yep, the same Goko you have! :thumb:  I told him he would probably be pretty happy with it.

The Richmond Ultimatum in M390 is indeed awe inspiring! :o  When I first got it I sharpened it with the following progression:  140 Atoma > 320 Shapton Pro > 1k GlassStone > 4k GlassStone > 8k GlassStone > 10k Naniwa Chocera > Kangaroo leather strop doped with 1/8 micron CBN.  It would treetop hair cleanly.  After three weeks of using all day every, six days a week, it would still shave! :icon_twisted:  It was three full months before I used used the ceramic hone on it.  I have never, ever seen anything like that.  And the rumor is that HAP40 is even better! :o :o

SET Man

« Reply #143 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:46 am »
Funny- when I got to work today my boss pulled me into the office all excited, wanting to show me the new knife he ordered.  Yep, the same Goko you have! :thumb:  I told him he would probably be pretty happy with it.

The Richmond Ultimatum in M390 is indeed awe inspiring! :o  When I first got it I sharpened it with the following progression:  140 Atoma > 320 Shapton Pro > 1k GlassStone > 4k GlassStone > 8k GlassStone > 10k Naniwa Chocera > Kangaroo leather strop doped with 1/8 micron CBN.  It would treetop hair cleanly.  After three weeks of using all day every, six days a week, it would still shave! :icon_twisted:  It was three full months before I used used the ceramic hone on it.  I have never, ever seen anything like that.  And the rumor is that HAP40 is even better! :o :o

Hey!

So, it had been sometime, dose he like the Goko?

As for me, I still like and use my Goko. Alternating between my Misono carbon and Goko. And yes there are some job that I would use Goko rather than the Misono carbon, like when I have to work with artichoke, especially the baby ones.

Anyway, I do noticed that the blade would creep out from the handle a bit. But no big deal, I just bang it back in. And the blade is thinner and that flex a bit with some job wish is not a good feeling sometime. Other than that is a fine knife to use.

Take care,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #144 on: 5 Jun 2014, 06:10 am »
He likes it but he's getting a bit tired of the cheap feeling handle.  I may try to change it to a different handle for him.  I've never done it but I understand the procedure.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #145 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:00 pm »
I ran across an Alton Brown video that talks about knives.
Looks like he's a big fan of Shun, but regardless, there's some neat information in the video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kDWPf_bHU#t=37

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #146 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:13 pm »
Shun makes some nice knives, but Alton B isn't a disinterested critic.  He has his own line of Shun knives... I know since I have three of them.  They were a great deal when Amazon closed out a three knife set for $75 a couple of years ago.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #147 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:27 pm »
Thanks Scott. I've been lurking in this thread since its beginning. I'm not a pro chef, but do appreciate "quality things". That being said, I can't help but to dream of a good knife. My Mother peruses the isles of charity stores and has amazingly found several Henckels for the low low price of $5 a piece, all of which I now own....including a foot long "half sword" that I absolutely love. But I still cant help but to wonder what a high quality Japanese knife would feel like.

I figured it was a safe assumption that Shun and Alton were in bed together, but I didn't know he had his own line.
Speaking of which, I think some of the "Guy" brand of knives are pretty sexy (not sure if they're even Japanese), but I can't help but to wonder if those are more "show" than "go".

Either way, I thought the video was cool, learned a few things from it, and thought it was appropriate for this thread.
I hope y'all enjoy.  :thumb:

Bob

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #148 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:37 pm »
Shuns are nice, much better than the Global knives I used to own.  But the rumor about Shuns being prone to chipping is sadly true.  My 6 inch knife got a chip after a very short drop into the kitchen sink.  These are not exactly tough knives.  But, after a bit of time on the Wicked Edge, I got the chip out and the knife is as sharp as it has ever been. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #149 on: 30 Jun 2014, 04:56 am »
Yeah, VG-10 in general is prone to chipping, and I don't think Shun is really any worse than normal in this regard.  Shun is okay but "just barely " a Japanese knife.  It's a J-knife made for people who don't want J-knives. :lol:  Still I'll take a Shun over a Wusthof. :thumb:

Glad you're liking your WEPS, Tyson.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #150 on: 30 Jun 2014, 09:54 am »
Higher quality steel can make a better edge. But a good smith will and can make a better knife out of a simple steel like L6, 01 or 5160. It's a matter of mastering the art and experience with the material. (Proper) Heat treating simple steel makes a great knife. No smith is a master over all of the different steels, available. It takes years of experience to master one.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #151 on: 30 Jun 2014, 07:47 pm »
Higher quality steel can make a better edge. But a good smith will and can make a better knife out of a simple steel like L6, 01 or 5160. It's a matter of mastering the art and experience with the material. (Proper) Heat treating simple steel makes a great knife. No smith is a master over all of the different steels, available. It takes years of experience to master one.

Very true!  The heat treat is more important than the steel.  And O1 is a great steel!  I have over 50 knives in that steel from JK Handmade knives, really good stuffl

persisting1

« Reply #152 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:06 am »
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is looking for a proper knife. She rarely cooks at home, but still wants a good blade. She really likes Shun, but I have been thinking of others.

What is your opinion on Shun Classic vs Tojiro ITK Shirogami Series?

She can get a 5.5" Shun Classic Santoku and a Classic 3.5" pairing knife for $150.

Or i was thinking she can get a 210mm Tojiro ITK Gyuto, a 120mm Tojiro ITK petty knife and a 165mm Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri for about $133.

What do you think about these? I know the Shuns are VG vs the White #2 steel that Tojiro uses. She will not be using these much, but I don't want her to be disappointed.

sfox7076

« Reply #153 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:11 am »
Check out the Richmind Series from Chefknivestogo.com. 

SET Man

« Reply #154 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:26 am »
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is looking for a proper knife. She rarely cooks at home, but still wants a good blade. She really likes Shun, but I have been thinking of others.

What is your opinion on Shun Classic vs Tojiro ITK Shirogami Series?

She can get a 5.5" Shun Classic Santoku and a Classic 3.5" pairing knife for $150.

Or i was thinking she can get a 210mm Tojiro ITK Gyuto, a 120mm Tojiro ITK petty knife and a 165mm Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri for about $133.

What do you think about these? I know the Shuns are VG vs the White #2 steel that Tojiro uses. She will not be using these much, but I don't want her to be disappointed.

Hey!

Not a fan of Shun, doesn't matter which level. To me there are better knives out there for the same price.

Also, for home cook who rarely cook, I would not recommend carbon steel. Stick with stainless steel. And a 210mm size will be a good start for a home cook.

Personally I'm a fan of Misono, so maybe a 210mm Misono 440. But for less money than there's the 210mm Tojiro DP and yes, 210mm Richmond Artifex of which I've never handle but it does looks good.

Take care,

persisting1

« Reply #155 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:51 am »
Those are great suggestions guys, but I think it's a little more than what she wants to spend. Under $100 per knife.

She doesn't want a western style handle, which limits her options.

persisting1

« Reply #156 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:58 am »
I should say under or around $100 per knife.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #157 on: 22 Jul 2014, 01:36 am »
At the risk of asking a stupid question after it was said she doesn't really cook much....

What will she be using these knives for? Is she likely to be getting into Sushi? Has she found a style of handle that she does like?

Gotta agree on the carbon vs SS blade statement above, but there are tons of options out there. If she does get into a good Japanese knife with varying angles, make sure she understands the sharpening issues.

persisting1

« Reply #158 on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:43 am »
So I've informed her of these issues and concerns. It seems she doesn't like the look of a tradition handle. I know that's not ideal, but that's what I'm working with. At this point, I think she should get the Shuns. It will make things easier for me   :)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #159 on: 3 Apr 2015, 05:12 am »
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd add a little something about HAP40.  I got a Kohetsu 120 petty in that steel a few weeks ago, used an Edgepro, and took the blade down to 12.5 degrees.  After a couple of weeks, no chipping, still very smoothly shaving.  This stuff is one tough material and takes a super sharp edge.   
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 02:17 pm by S Clark »