Wireless headphones - good or bad?

dukecv

Wireless headphones - good or bad?
« on: 6 Dec 2016, 05:49 am »
I never know if I don't ask, so, basically looking for some headphones for when I do house chores, mow the lawn, vacuum, whatever. Wirelesss options would come in handy for this. Basically, are wireless headphones any good at all, and more specifically, any good on a budget? Meaning not some 600-700 headphones for mowing the lawn.

Thanks
Cole

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wireless headphones - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:09 am »
Bad for hi fi music, but it may be useful and practical as you mention.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2016, 07:43 am by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:32 pm »
A pair of halfway decent wireless headphones can be had for ~$100. I don't listen him as closely in the types of situations you describe as I do when I'm sitting at home with my SE 535's plugged into a headphone amp and playing Lossless files. The main challenge is going to be getting enough isolation to shut out a vacuum cleaner or a lawnmower. I recommend Comply foam tips to get excellent isolation at modest cost; might be a good idea to pick a model that they make tips for. You shouldn't have to spend much more than a  hundred to $120 to get acceptable if not state-of-the-art sound quality. Amazon and headroom are your friends.

If you have in ear headphones that you've good isolation already, like the Etymotic MC series for example, another option maybe to get a Bluetooth adapter although those tend to be clunky. One was recently posted on here; but I didn't see the point because the head-to-head could just as easily have been plugged in the player itself as it into the expensive adapter. In other words, A solution in search of a problem, something that abounds in audio.

dukecv

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2016, 10:13 pm »
Fair enough, thanks recommendations/ideas. I'm definitely not going for sound quality, just something to jam out a little bit since after kids that time gets cut down drastically.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2016, 10:24 pm »
By wireless, I am not sure if that includes Bluetooth?

If it does, I can say I was surprised at the quality of the sound of the Jabra Move bluetooth headphones.

Bought a set for my 11 year old for her birthday.  Her sister demands a set for her upcoming 13th now.  I like the sound of them myself, for fun listening (ie not critical listening).  They do a better job of isolation than her older NuForce iems.

If you mean wireless like the Sennheiser wireless ones, I can say that my friend's set (RS180 maybe?) are good, but by memory open back so not ideal for any measure of isolation.

weatherman1

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2016, 06:41 am »
I have owned the Sennheiser RS170's for several years now and find them good out to about 200 ft from the transmitter. Beyond that distance I get occasional fades and dropouts.  Sound quality is generally excellent, considering what they are; and, being sealed closed back ear cups they do a reasonable noise cancellation job.  Used on e-bay about $150.  If you have more than one headphone unit the transmitter will sync as many as 4 phones.  Popular with video game players and those that like loud movie sound tracks and mate wants quieter sound.

dukecv

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2016, 04:07 pm »
Awesome. Thanks everyone for their suggestions. That shout get me on the right track.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2016, 04:48 pm »
I just found out about these - though they are a bit more pricey at $200. Though according to the review, they sound much better wired up.

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/rbh-hp-1b

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2016, 05:30 pm »
I just picked some open back wireless Sennheisers RS135 yesterday. They're not the last word in comfort or quality, but will suffice for the intended purpose.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm »
Got a pair of beats for my wife and they sound great , 300.00 from apple

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:32 am »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:05 pm »
Are Bluetooth headphones 100% safe?

http://www.techulator.com/resources/8616-Impact-using-Bluetooth-headsets.aspx

This guy's "research" is based on websites selling homeopathic/quackery devices. You really have nothing to worry about.

The much more likely danger of headphones is accidentally walking into traffic while distracted.