Song3 : Is 50 watts enough?

gnostalgick

Song3 : Is 50 watts enough?
« on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm »
  So I've been thinking a lot lately about what I would want in a new speaker.  A recent post elsewhere on the forums about tweeters made me recall how sweet the Song3s midrange & top end sounded during my trip to Axpona.  But however impressive they were (especially for the price), I nonetheless ruled them out as a possibility simply due to the fact I've always seen Salks paired with larger & more powerful amplifiers.  In fact the online specifications for all the other 88db sensitivity models listed recommend at least 100 watts.

However I've recently read that the Song3s were rather impressive with the Schiit Ragnarok at Newport.  I'm not sure if this is a special synergy as that amplifier seems to be a rather atypical design.  Nor is there much information as to what music was played, or at what level--though strong dynamics & a balanced sound at low to moderate levels are more important to me than outright spl.  Any further feedback or experience with lower powered amplifiers and the Song3s or other Salks would be much appreciated.  Thanks,

Kirk

mcgsxr

Re: Song3 : Is 50 watts enough?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:10 am »
Have you ever measured at what volume you typically listen?  I used a free iOS app to get dB readings.

Room size and musical preference may lay a role too.

I don't own Salks but I imagine some owners will chime in. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:25 am »
What is the source of the 50 watts? Solid state, tubed, brand, mono blocks, stereo, integrated?

Unless you are wanting to blast the tunes, 50 should be plenty.

gnostalgick

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm »
If my phone's mic can be trusted, I probably average under 80db most of the time; going by comparison charts, I'd say that certain combinations of mood & musical peaks bring me into the 90s from time to time, but would still be under 100.

I'm using Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, SS, class A/B, 50 watts @ 8 ohm & 100 watts @ 4 ohm.  My current speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 2, and are themselves rated 88db @ 8ohm.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:51 pm »
For the better part of their 8 yrs as my primary system front end my Song Towers (std) were driven with my AVA FetValve Ultra 550 amp. Roughly 250 wpc into 8 ohms, so effectively 500 into 4 ohms (+/-). A year ago I picked up Frank's Ultravalve tube unit, 35 wpc, and really would have no desire to go back to the Ultra 550. Just my preference, but loved the difference and didn't miss the extra watts. While I can't speak to the SS side of the equation, simply on watts I'd think you'll have no problem driving the Song3s more than adequately. Of course YMMV. Note that all the below noted factors do come into play - room size, treatments, listening preferences. 

for info preamp was primarily AVA Ultra EC, with some AVA T-8 time, and finally AVA CF as main pre.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:40 pm »
The Song3's are fairly efficient at a conservative sensitivity of 88db.  We showed the Song3's at THE Show in Newport this summer with Schiit Audio's Ragnarok, which is a 60 watt headphone amp.  I was a little concerned, before the show, that 60 watts would not be quite enough power (never having tried any amp under 100 watts).  It simply was not a problem and I played the Song3's just as loud as we would at any other show.  I would suspect the same level of performance from a 50-watt amp. It is always nice to have more power (no such thing as too much), but you are probably listening at an RMS average of 5 - 8 watts and the rest is headroom.  It is mainly the instantaneous peaks (drum hits and the like) that run higher.

- Jim

gnostalgick

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The Song3 now looks like a strong possibility. Guess its time to start saving those pennies.  :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:39 pm »
If my phone's mic can be trusted, I probably average under 80db most of the time; going by comparison charts, I'd say that certain combinations of mood & musical peaks bring me into the 90s from time to time, but would still be under 100.

I'm using Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, SS, class A/B, 50 watts @ 8 ohm & 100 watts @ 4 ohm.  My current speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 2, and are themselves rated 88db @ 8ohm.

Sounds like we are in a similar boat.

I listen at similar volumes with 89dB speakers with my ~25wpc Monarchy SM-70 Pro.  Works a treat.

Good luck with sorting out the finish - that is always my fav part of reading this circle - what finishes people pick for the amazing work Jim does!

Grbluen

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2016, 04:55 am »
Just thought I'd share...
I just brought them home!

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:45 am »
In a small room a good 15w would do the trick.

Stop giving me the jellys!

audioguy213

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2016, 06:22 am »
In a small room a good 15w would do the trick.

Stop giving me the jellys!

If you listened to music with no dynamic peaks,
try to keep it real.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2016, 06:44 am »
A good 15w... I've heard 300w sound weak by comparrison. I've got enough dynamics to have fun. You know 15w can take 88db to 100db, maybe 102db during a transient, in a small room.

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2016, 01:09 pm »
A good 15w... I've heard 300w sound weak by comparrison. I've got enough dynamics to have fun. You know 15w can take 88db to 100db, maybe 102db during a transient, in a small room.

Yes, BUT, there will be a fair amount of clipping going on with that type of a setup.  This type of clipping is noticeable when playing music, especially classical symphonic music.  If one uses tube amps, it may be less audible due to the soft clipping behavior of tube amps.

It's the type of thing you may not always notice unless or until you hook up a quality high powered amp and listen.  Often times, the speakers will sound like a different model (and most often better). 

I have noticed with both my speakers (ATC SCM-19/85 db) and Dynaudio Focus 360 (88 db) that although they sound good with 80 to 1110 watts of tube power, they really open up with more power.  Feeding the Dyna's with 1100 watts available from my monoblocks really opens them up.  No clipping to worry about. 

There is a strong argument to be made for high power amps to drive speakers.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:27 am »
Meh, you're welcome to stop by.

Sure Telarc's 1812 makes my speakers take a poop... but it's less of a problem for the amp than the speakers (bookshelves). Classical sounds good, powerful, if the recording has it in it. Would more power be good? Sure but not unless it's the same quality and that's really rare. I'll take fewer quality watts over higher muddled ones. A friend who's on here has a setup with more headroom and gets some rad kickbass at times but that won't sway me over every other quality.

This isn't really that important to the OP. I'm sure they're going to be very happy with their speakers and any decent amp.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2016, 02:53 am »
IMHO, amplifier power is similar to a transmission in an automobile. You can put a 454 hp engine under the hood, but if your transmission burns up, what good is it? An example is a 2wpc tube amplifier driving 94 dB sensitive single driver loudspeaker. Yes it will work, but not at realistic rock concert levels. You need to understand your amplifier's limitations & have a tight reign on the volume control.