Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

LFE

« Reply #120 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:53 am »
Jeff Tweedy (Front man of Wilco) on his acoustic tour. It was at the Filmore in San Francisco. If you get the chance to see him on this solo tour you won't be diapointed! Amazing guitar player.

PhilNYC

« Reply #121 on: 12 Feb 2006, 03:38 pm »
I had the good fortune of being in Chicago this past Friday and having the time to spend a few hours at Kingston Mines (http://www.kingstonmines.com/.  Two acts that night were Linsey Alexander, and Big James and the Chicago Playboys.  Man, its been a while since I was in the presence of greatness like these performers!   I was there with a friend from Israel who loves blues and jazz but has never seen/heard it live.  After Linsey Alexander's full set, and about 10 minutes into Big James' set, my friend leans over to me and says "I could see myself moving to Chicago just for this".  10 minutes later, he says "I don't want to overstate this, but being here is a dream come true"...

:notworthy:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #122 on: 12 Feb 2006, 03:44 pm »
My recent live events (I get free admission to our local concert location):

* Charlie Daniels (still has it)
* Hootie and the Blowfish (not bad but I'm not a big fan)
* Tesla (they sound as good as they did 15 years ago when they were only an opening band)

tvyankee

« Reply #123 on: 12 Feb 2006, 04:20 pm »
just saw phil lesh and friends last night and i have to tell you that are very good.i have been into the dead since i'm 12 and this band did a great job doing dead tunes and doing their own tunes.i don't think i sat once in three hours and i didn't even do any drugs.

if they come to your area and you have the time you should  check them out.

they did a three hour show and when we got out the city was white.very cool.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #124 on: 12 Feb 2006, 04:45 pm »
My college-age son is trying to convince me to go to Bonaroo this year.  Phil Lesh and Friends will be there.  My main impetus is that two of my top bands of all time (that still play) are headlining....Radiohead and Beck, along with Elvis Costello, Oysterhead (Stewart Copeland on drums), Bonnie Raitt, etc.  An RV would be a blast for this 3-day festival......dunno if we can swing it.  To finally see Radiohead would be incredible, though.  Beatles in 1965, Radiohead in 2006, and a boatload in-between!!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #125 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:35 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
I had the good fortune of being in Chicago this past Friday and having the time to spend a few hours at Kingston Mines (http://www.kingstonmines.com/.  Two acts that night were Linsey Alexander, and Big James and the Chicago Playboys.  Man, its been a while since I was in the presence of greatness like these performers!   I was there with a friend from Israel who loves blues and jazz but has never seen/heard it live.  After Linsey Alexander's full set, and about 10 minutes into Big James' set, my ...

Phil,

I used to live in Chicago and went to Kingston Mines numerous times.  I can totally understand what you are saying- I had phenomenal experiences there and the other Blues bar on Halstead.  The funny thing is as those are apparently not even the best blues bars in Chicago- I guess there are some really great ones on the S. Side of Chicago.  I met Chris Farley at Kingston Mines and he was having a blast!

Michael

mcrespo71

« Reply #126 on: 2 Mar 2006, 06:12 am »
Just got back from the Strokes at Hammerstein ballroom.  1st show of the US tour and they tore it up.  Wow- it's nice to see a hungry, up-n-coming band in their prime.  Damn good show from the most NY of the new NYC bands.

Michael

R_burke

« Reply #127 on: 2 Mar 2006, 03:50 pm »
Derek Trucks Band - Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz, CA.

Great band with a really good guitarist.  The nicest thing about this show was the mix and lack of egos.  I could hear all of the musicians and never once did Derek feel the need to overpower the rest of the band.  Something that few guitarists are able to achieve.  

The opening band, Papa Mali was pretty good also, and the venue, an older theatre was great for an old man like me who appreciates his space and no longer enjoys standing nut to butt for a whole show

sts9fan

« Reply #128 on: 2 Mar 2006, 03:57 pm »
Jeff Tweedy (Front man of Wilco) on his acoustic tour. It was at the Filmore in San Francisco. If you get the chance to see him on this solo tour you won't be diapointed! Amazing guitar player.

I saw him in Northhampton on this tour. What a great show!!

I would love to go to bonnaroo this year just for Oysterhead. I really hope they put together a new album and tour for it. Uncle Les is a god on bass imho!!

Also I scored tickets for The Flaming Lips two night in NYC 3/31 4/1!! I can't wait!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #129 on: 2 Mar 2006, 04:35 pm »
Quote from: sts9fan

I saw him in Northhampton on this tour. What a great show!!

I would love to go to bonnaroo this year just for Oysterhead. I really hope they put together a new album and tour for it. Uncle Les is a god on bass imho!!

Also I scored tickets for The Flaming Lips two night in NYC 3/31 4/1!! I can't wait!!

Where are the Flaming Lips playing?  Damn- I missed out on hearing about tickets for them!!!! :(

sts9fan

« Reply #130 on: 2 Mar 2006, 04:47 pm »
It was a super secret ticket release. They went on sale yesterday at noon and were sold out fast. I only heard about it on Tuesday and it was not even on ticket web until yesterday right before the onsale time. Webster hall + 1400 people + The Lips = I can't wait!!!

Antman27

« Reply #131 on: 14 Mar 2006, 03:27 pm »
Went to the Allman Bros last nigt at the beacon WOW. It was the 35th anaversey of the fillmore CD set & they played almost the same set list from 1971.The second set they did a bunch of tunes from hittin the note (desdomna my fav) susan tediscy did Take a load off Fanny with Waren and waren did Stevie ray the sky is cryin .Waren and trucks sure can jam booth great guitar players
DICKIE WHO ?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #132 on: 16 Mar 2006, 04:17 am »
Saw Donald Fagen and band tonight in Cleveland.  Great show!  Early reviews had the show lacking a bit in energy, but then Donald cancelled a show and rescheduled a couple due to illness, so that's probably why the early part of the tour was off.  Tonight's performance was very energetic and tight.  The band he brings with him is incredible.  Even his new stuff from Morph the Cat (an incredible DVD-A mix, but its too early to say whether it will become cult status like Nightfly or Kamikiriad) was great.

The sound was perfect, not too loud as some recent concerts have been.  The venue, the Palace Theater in downtown Cleveland, is one of my favorite venues; not too big (prolly 3,000) and the history of the place is very cool.  

He did several songs from The Nightfly, two from my fave, Kamikiriad, and brought out four Dan tunes, Home At Last, Black Cow, FM and Pretzel Logic.  It was a great night.

pjchappy

« Reply #133 on: 20 Mar 2006, 06:04 am »
Just got back from seeing Wilco at The Pageant here in STL. . .GREAT SHOW!!!!

p

Charles Calkins

« Reply #134 on: 26 Mar 2006, 01:54 am »
Saw David Sanborn and Chris Botti last night at the Masonic in San Francisco. Very fine performance of two great jazz artists. If they come your way I recomend you see them perform.

Cheers
                     Charlie

mojoman

« Reply #135 on: 7 Apr 2006, 09:31 pm »
Saw the Derek Trucks Band last night at the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh.  This band just gets better and better.  They played about 2/3 of their new album, Songlines and some older material as well.  Two sets and encored with Key To The Highway.  Derek leaves for the UK later this month where he'll be touring as a member of Eric Clapton's band.  Seemed Eric needed a slide guitar player.   :idea:  Wonder if they'll do Layla on that tour.  8)

PhishPhan

« Reply #136 on: 17 Apr 2006, 12:44 pm »
I saw Keller Williams two nights ago here in Columbus. Great, great show. Every time I see him he seems to bring more and more instruments out onto the stage. What an amazing talent. :o

mjosef

Last Thursday @ Jazz Gallery
« Reply #137 on: 25 Apr 2006, 05:02 am »
Rudresh Mahanthappa showcasing his upcoming fall release. Quintet with Vijay Iyer on piano, Francois Moutin bass and Dan Weiss rocking the space on drums. Made my system sound pale in comparison.

mojoman

« Reply #138 on: 25 Apr 2006, 09:16 pm »
Saw Tinsley Ellis last Friday night at the Raleigh Music Hall.  He did a smokin' 2 hour set.  A bluegrass band called Steam Powered Airplane opened the show with a hour of solid bluegrass.  Not a bad night of music  for 10 bucks.

Captain Humble

« Reply #139 on: 28 Apr 2006, 05:43 am »
Saw Joe Satriani with special guest Eric Johnson tonight.
Eric opened.
When Joe finished his first encore he brought Eric back out with local guy named Timmons for a jam session.  Concert lasted over 4 hours.
Great seats just a few rows from the stage.
Amazing!