Tommys Demo Cherry ULTRA

Shear Bliss

Tommys Demo Cherry ULTRA
« on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:32 pm »
I have been watching these "digital amp" reviews now for well  over one year, thinking I would like to see for myself what all the buzz was about. Been a music lover for over 40+ years, mainly solid state but have delved into class A and tube amps and preamps through the years. All forms have been very enjoyable when you get that ideal synergy going between equipment and room. I consider myself a beer budget audiophile, surely no reviewer of high-end wares ..... but here we are.

I bought a Cherry ULTRA amp from Tommy after requesting his demo list, BUT FIRST ..... tried a digital amp from a CA. company that was similar in design an wattage. Nice try, no cigar! Just the seemingly polar opposite of the ULTRA ..... taut but weak bass, midrange in your face front row, and a top-end that was way too hot. I honestly thought my unit was defective in some way! Its designer said it benched out fine upon my return and requested refund. Also its power switch went the first week. Totally mind blowing to me!

Hello Tommy, can I get another demo list .................. please make mine a red Cherry ULTRA. ~~~ OMG can this really be true, this sound is serious, very serious from its top to the bottom. So very smooth and also very dynamic in its presentation at the same time. It sounded fantastic out of its ice cold carton from day one and has only gotten better.

Did I mention this is a beauty to look at too in its red faceplate, and very heavy for a digital amp coming in around 40 lbs. Its size and weight makes it appear more a AB design than a class D amp. The ULTRA has gobs of pure crystal clear clean power, your ears will give out before it will if you let it loose. You have been warned!

I have only had my Cherry for 3 weeks and feel I am still learning its capabilities. Also I did not experience the so-called "digital sound" that other class D amp reviews talked about, perhaps because mine was a broken in demo unit. I have loved and enjoyed its sound from day one. A very even keeled and neutral presentation, nothing brings attention to itself from its fantastic bottom end into its silky smooth midrange on up to the clean, clear, crisp trebles. With no glare or haze to get in the way, just lets the musical notes flow through unhindered. With finely recorded music the better the Cherry performs, providing a wide soundstage with excellent center fill with vocalists between the loudspeakers. Wattage is not a issue with my 90db and or 96db VMPS RM-1s or my Super Tower R. I run strictly two channel. But quality is to me and the Cherry ULTRA delivers the goods! Like I said, have been loving it from day one and it is not going anywhere!

Kudos to Tommy O for showing what properly engineered  class D technology can do, utterly outstanding!

Thanks Tommy,
Shear Bliss

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Tommys Demo Cherry ULTRA
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm »
Thank you very much for the compliments.  It's our pleasure!

We have a few more demo units in stock, near perfect condition :)

-Tommy O