EMI Signature Collection SACD/CD

Andre2

EMI Signature Collection SACD/CD
« on: 25 Sep 2012, 01:38 am »
So, I searched for the subject in this circle and did not find anybody talking about it.  Such collection is noted on October's Stereophile and some information can also be found here and the listings in Amazon can be found here.

Thus, anybody got any of these classical remastered to SACD/CD?  If so, is it worth?  :scratch:
Thanks in advance for any info.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: EMI Signature Collection SACD/CD
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2012, 01:45 am »
So, I searched for the subject in this circle and did not find anybody talking about it.  Such collection is noted on October's Stereophile and some information can also be found here and the listings in Amazon can be found here.

Thus, anybody got any of these classical remastered to SACD/CD?  If so, is it worth?  :scratch:
Thanks in advance for any info.

Yeah I have a couple of them, and find them ok...but it irks me that the EMI folks have spent all these resources to transfer them to 24/96.....wll then why go SACD and require another DSD transfer (as much as I love DSD)??  Why not just a 24/96 (DVD, etc). 

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:05 am »
Lots of these are in "native" 24/96 PCM at HDTracks

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=labelhome&vco=emi

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2012, 03:59 am »
rbbert,
Thank you!!  These are some of the best performances of these works ever recorded, and to be able to get them in a new transfer at hirez is awesome.  I've already got most of the regular CD's of these works, I'll download a few and compare them and see if it's worth it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm »
I've gotten through 2 recordings - the Oistrakh/Brahms Violin concerto, and the Gieseking/Debussy piano recordings.  In both cases the improvement in sound over standard CD is substantial.  Definitely worth picking up.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:39 am »
I ordered EMI Furtwängler’s  RAI Ring on SACD.  This is an interesting explanation of why going 24/96 PCM before going DSD.  I wonder if other teams of archive restorers also go PCM for DSP before transferring to final DSD version on historic recordings.  From what I can infer, they would not go PCM if they could do all they want to do in DSD domain.  They made the decision that the benefits of DSP more than makes up for whatever is lost on the additional format transfers.   Is it still true (4 years later) that their is no DSP available in DSD domain?  BTW,  I don't see this available on 24/96 anywhere.  Have I not looked hard enough?